Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ Police public image

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

NZ Police public image

Now I cant quite fathon this one out...

Concerns are being raised about how police are viewed by the public after the broad daylight bashing of a woman officer.

Constable Pamela Cox is recovering from eye and facial injuries after being attacked by a woman at central Christchurch's City Mall.

She and a male officer were dealing with four people who were allegedly drunk and disorderly, and in breach of the city's liquor ban.

The Police Association's Canterbury director Craig Prior says the street was full of people, but nobody went to Constable Cox's aid.

He is concerned the public perception of police officers has deteriorated over the past few years.

He says they are there to help, not hinder, and would like to get their public-friendly image back.

Now call me thick if you wish, BUT. I almost got charged with assault from the Police many years ago because I hit someone with a 3 by 4 that was breaking into my own home!
    We hear of the Police not attending serious calls, or getting there way too late.
    The Police stopping people from contacting there neighbour for help in rural areas by jamming the phone.
    Not only this but I'm sure that many would be concerned that IF we came to the officer's aid that the Police would consider pressing assault charges for helping!!!
    Not only this but I've been told by the Police that it would be part of my job (Psychiatric Nurse) to wear a few punches. However the Police are the first to whine if they get assaulted???
    Note to the Police. Sort yer shite attitudes out. You will recieve respect once it is earnt, but as of yet you aint earnt ANY!!!!
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    FUCK HELPING THEM, WE PAY THEM TO LOOK AFTER US, IF SHE WANTS TO GET PAID FOR THE JOB SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT PRPOERLY. I HELP MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC THOUGH , LAST TIME IT WAS 4 GUYS CLIMBING IN MY NEIGHBOURS WINDOW. THE COPS ROUND HERE ARE USELESS IVE GIVEN MY NUMBER TO ALL MY ELDERLY NEIGHBOURS SO THEY CAN CALL ME IN AN EMERGENCY.
    I THINK WITH ALL THE EMPHASIS ON BULL SHIT TRAFFIC LAW MOST PEOPLE HAVE A NEGATIVE ATTITUDE TO PIGS.EVEN OLDER PEOPLE'S ATTITUDES HAVE CHANGED.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Right on dude!

Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    FUCK HELPING THEM, WE PAY THEM TO LOOK AFTER US, IF SHE WANTS TO GET PAID FOR THE JOB SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT PRPOERLY. I HELP MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC THOUGH , LAST TIME IT WAS 4 GUYS CLIMBING IN MY NEIGHBOURS WINDOW. THE COPS ROUND HERE ARE USELESS IVE GIVEN MY NUMBER TO ALL MY ELDERLY NEIGHBOURS SO THEY CAN CALL ME IN AN EMERGENCY.
    I THINK WITH ALL THE EMPHASIS ON BULL SHIT TRAFFIC LAW MOST PEOPLE HAVE A NEGATIVE ATTITUDE TO PIGS.EVEN OLDER PEOPLE'S ATTITUDES HAVE CHANGED.
    That earns a rep point for helping the elderly. Yep they are quick to complain about other but not interested in looking at themselves
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    hey that is a great idea!
    the folks a round me are famers and the like, but if i were in a town, i would be doing that to all my older neigbours!!

andy

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

Re helping the police

am not aware of this incident, but am sure that when in Fire College, I remember being told that it is an offence when asked to assistance a police officer to then not do so, possible fine of up to NZ$500.00 No doubt spud or marty may be able to tell us, not sure of the title of the act, but section 53 rings a bell ? Failing to help....? Its in my old notes somewhere.

F/F
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Are you on drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefight
    am not aware of this incident, but am sure that when in Fire College, I remember being told that it is an offence when asked to assistance a police officer to then not do so, possible fine of up to NZ$500.00 No doubt spud or marty may be able to tell us, not sure of the title of the act, but section 53 rings a bell ? Failing to help....? Its in my old notes somewhere.

F/F
    I have serious doubts regarding that comment, but I would try to help in a non violent way. The only law I am aware of that says you can assault someone is if they are attempting suicide, then you can use any force required to stop the person

Bike
    GSXR1000
    A couple up Nth were either charged, or were considered for charges, for not helping an officer under attack. Last year I think, someone must remember it.

Bike

Re drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Honda
    I have serious doubts regarding that comment, but I would try to help in a non violent way. The only law I am aware of that says you can assault someone is if they are attempting suicide, then you can use any force required to stop the person

firstly, no I am not on Drugs (atm), you are welcome to have as many doubts as you like, I will wait till one of our resident Police Officers either confirm or deny this, or if I get a chance later I will search my old training notes and see if I can find the section of law that was showen to me.

F/F

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Basically, in christchurch the police are pretty useless - you never see them and when they do, they cant help anyway.

At the end of the day they have lost the respect of their community, pretty much because they never get out of their cars and get to know anyone.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow OK.

firstly, no I am not on Drugs (atm), you are welcome to have as many doubts as you like, I will wait till one of our resident Police Officers either confirm or deny this, or if I get a chance later I will search my old training notes and see if I can find the section of law that was showen to me.

F/F
    I guess I've been told then...

Bike

Thanks for the Bad Rep Honda

Sorce, Brookers Statutes if NZ

section 53) Failing to help member of Police..

1) A member of the Police in the lawful execution of his or her duty may ask any person who is 18 years or older to help the member of the Police do either or both of the following.

a) apprehend or secure any person

b) convey any person in the charge of the member of the Police to a police station or other place.

2)the member of the police may ask the person for help of any kind only if it is, in the cirumstances a reasonable necessity.

3) every person who, when so asked, fails to give help of that kind to any memeber of the Police commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding NZ$500.00.

4) However, a failure of that kind before the commencment of the Human Rights Amendment Act 2001, and by a person who is not a male, is not an offense under subsection 3).

My notes are old, but I guess one of the Police on the site will help clear this up.

Thanks again for the Bad rep Honda, I guess I had to get one sooner or later. just remember, Don't shoot the messanger.

F/F

my own fault really.

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    I believe Firefight and onearmedbandit are right. I've heard of the law before.

But Firefight found his stuff while I was reading...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeven
    Basically, in christchurch the police are pretty useless - you never see them and when they do, they cant help anyway.

At the end of the day they have lost the respect of their community, pretty much because they never get out of their cars and get to know anyone.

So what you are saying is if we got rid of the police in Christchurch we wouldn't notice the difference then? yeah right!

Our Business was burgled and although the amount taken was small the police attended within an hour of being called,when my mountainbike was stolen they found it in a secondhand shop four days later.

Unfortunately all we see on here are those who wish to have a bleat about the state of the countries policing without offering anything constructive in how to fix the perceived problems and as for getting on to the MP or whatever other avenues are available to do something about will just sit and bitch about it.

I feel a lot of the negative reputation the police receive is due to the media beating them up whenever they make a mistake,because of course that makes better press and gives you more to talk about than any of the positive things they do
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

Hey Honda, and Police ...

1) A member of the Police in the lawful execution of his or her duty may ask any person who is 18 years or older to help the member of the Police do either or both of the following.

b) convey any person in the charge of the member of the Police to a police station or other place.

2)the member of the police may ask the person for help of any kind only if it is, in the cirumstances a reasonable necessity.

3) every person who, when so asked, fails to give help of that kind to any memeber of the Police commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding NZ$500.00.

4) However, a failure of that kind before the commencment of the Human Rights Amendment Act 2001, and by a person who is not a male, is not an offense under subsection 3).

My notes are old, but I guess one of the Police on the site will help clear this up.

Thanks again for the Bad rep Honda, I guess I had to get one sooner or later. just remember, Don't shoot the messanger.

F/F
    Honda, I'm not sure if there were any PM's, but from what I read from FireFight, he was not being in any way insulting. He was merely stating the facts from what he knew. I think you may have misinterpreted what he was trying to say, as having a go at you. Anyway, water under the bridge and so forth...

As for point 4... That just makes my blood boil. But I'm not going to start a whole equality rant, because I don't really give a crap anymore. It's the same type of attitude that male nurses are not allowed to perform certain procedures to female patients unless they have female peer supervision. It's just pathetic, why as a male, are you assumed to be likely to offer inferior or inappropriate care?

The police are doing a job, just like all of us. The way I see it, when ONE person makes a mistake, or what is perceived by the public to be a mistake, it is widely published throughout the media, and the whole organisation seems to get the bad reputation. With all the dealings I have had with the police, they have been fast, efficient and helpfull/friendly. (I was a witness in all those dealings, not a suspect haha).

But Honda, I can see your point, and where you're coming from. There are definitely certain areas which need addressing. As for police attitides, it must be REALLY hard to always be nice to people when just about everyone you meet while on duty hates your guts, with a sometimes irrational passion?

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Mate,

F/F
    I'm not shooting anyone and your assuming...

Oh and like I said before, I'd help in a non violent way. But if someone is holding a knife or gun (or baseball bat etc), I ain't going in to help Mr or Mrs Plodd and I'd like to see that stick in a court of law.
    My question is then: Why is that the Police should expect the public to help them in trouble when the Police themselves are doing such a crappy job (in general) of doing it in the first place?

Thread Information