Thread: 2004 Suzuki FXR 150 - Starter problems

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPZ 250

2004 Suzuki FXR 150 - Starter problems

Hey all,

Haven't yet seen this bike, but it's shipping to me from auckland now. The problem was described on trademe as;
    After it was stolen the electric start stopped working but when i put in a new battery it started first go. Now it wont start with the electric and takes a bit to start with the kick. Im not too flash hot when it comes to bikes so i can't say whats wrong. with it.

Once its running there's no problems.
    So i was thinking maybe a solenoid problem? Any other suggestions? All help really appreciated!
    Thanks

Bike
    I just lost count
    Bit of nessacery information missing to be able to diagnose over the internet but If I had to warrent a guess they put a new battery in it and it was all good, they rode it a couple of times, each time it being progresivly harder to start with the electric start, and then it was parked up, and the battery went dead flat (I know there is a few assumptions in there but as I said limited information) meaning the starter wouldnt work at all. Sounds like somthing has gone a miss in the charging system.

What makes me curious is the statement "and takes a bit to start with the kick", if they mean (once again making some assumptions) that the bike has sat for a while and it wont fire up with the first kick (if my FXR bucket has been sitting for a couple of weeks between meetings it normally takes a few kicks and just the right amount of choke to fire) then I dont think there is to much to worry about there, but if the mean it takes a fair bit of force to use the kick start then they may be other problems, cause it is only a 150 single it aint that hard.

You probally arnt going to know a lot more till the bike arrives.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPZ 250
    Thanks Pumba, for confiriming what i suspected.

Yeah, i did wonder if the altenator might be playing up..had that in my old cage but was a relatively cheap replacement part. *sigh* looks like theres more waiting to do... though the "hard to start" kick start isn't gonna stop me from taking it for a spin as soon as it arrives!!

... nor is it not having a current rego
    ... or wof
    ... or me having a licence....

Oh well, i'm off to do some more waiting.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Measure the voltage coming out of the stator etc etc.

It should run without any battery voltage, but stuff like indicators etc probabaly won't work at low rpm etc.

Bike
    nothing at the mo
    3lemental, this sounds like the problem I am having with my FXR. Have you fixed it?

If my bike has sat in the shed for a few days it will take quite a few kicks to get it going with just the right choke (as Pumba mentioned). Initially the electric start will try to turn the engine a couple of times, but quickly drains the battery of what little juice it has left.

If I ride around for half an hour or so and then turn off the bike it will start with the electric first time.

I'd be interested to know how you went about fixing it if you have.

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    ^I have exactly the same problem with my fxr. Give it a ride and I can pull over and start it with the lekky start first time. Left overnight and it will only attempt to turn over a few times and be dead flat.

Bike
    nothing at the mo
    I had a chat to a guy from Holeshot and he thought it may be a cheap battery which can't hold charge for very long. Either that or he was trying to sell me a battery. Alternatively I figure it could be something which is sucking a little battery juice even when the bike is off. I'm guessing it can't be an alternator thing because the battery will charge over a long ride.

Thread Information