Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice and help for new & learner riders

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Just because something meets a standard doesn't mean that it provides the best protection.
    Generally the more expensive helmets soak up the most and transmit the least. They're mostly fibreglass too because plastic doesn't soak up impacts as well.
    Agree bout the fibreglass shell construction, Mental. I am curious though, have any figures or empirical evidence been given for the real world performance of the carbon fibre shell construction yet?
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Probably but I don't know where.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Which ones though?
    Ya got me. I remember the general report conclusions but not specific brands. I really only retained that snippet because the link between price and performance was so tenuous.

You're right about the general suitability of reinforced resin shells, the structure absorbs energy as it collapses. That SHOULD apply to CF shells, but I suspect the purpose of the material selection is to reduce weight and damaged thin CF structures are like a sack of razors.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Agree bout the fibreglass shell construction, Mental. I am curious though, have any figures or empirical evidence been given for the real world performance of the carbon fibre shell construction yet?
    I would think that when you are taking a big bang to your head, the lightness of its construction can make a major difference to whether it wrenches your neck enough to paralyse you, or not. Increased lightness decreases rider fatigue as well, meaning that it might help you avoid a crash too.

I would say that weight should come a close second to fit.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    nothing yet
    hyave been looking online at all the different helmets out there....had a try on of a shoei qwest helmet...felt very comfortable....were about 799...anyone have any opinions on other brand of helmets ie: AGV K4 gecko, airoh, arai, hjc etc.....how do you test the road noise with them ie: stereo shops have a sound chamber you can listern to the quality of the eqipment....any of the bike shops have anything sort like that to test out road noise?.....cheers craig

www.hardout.co.nz

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by craignzcd View Post
    hyave been looking online at all the different helmets out there....had a try on of a shoei qwest helmet...felt very comfortable....were about 799...anyone have any opinions on other brand of helmets ie: AGV K4 gecko, airoh, arai, hjc etc.....how do you test the road noise with them ie: stereo shops have a sound chamber you can listern to the quality of the eqipment....any of the bike shops have anything sort like that to test out road noise?.....cheers craig

www.hardout.co.nz
    I'm sure Scott from Mr Motorcycles, Pukekohe would be able to do a bit better than $799 for a Qwest Drop him a line.
    As far as noise goes, I don't think you'll do much better than a Qwest but you'll probably want earplugs for open road riding anyway

Bike
    2007 Hyosung gt250r

Talking New to riding

Guys this is awesome how do i get on board?

Bike
    nothing yet
    noticed that cycle treads are having a 3 day sale as of friday....got my basic skills course sat so might have to get some bit after that....time to dig out credit card.....

Bike
    Honda,Black,Shadow 750

Announce A Place to learn!!!!!!

You can always get FREE mentoring at NASS (North Auckland Street Skills for north&west) and SASS(South Auckland Street Skills for south&east) Look them up in Meetings and events Both are on Wednesday night. Go to page one to see the format and the last page to see what is the latest info. AND WHEN YOU GO THERE MAKE YOUR SELF KNOWN. Regards Richard
    Regards Richard
    Growing old is mandatory Growing up is purely optional
    Retired teenager

Bike
    Its a Boat

Taken from another thread

Five very good points post by Cowboys..
    I have taken the liberty to post them in here, I am sure he wont mind

1.. Stack up the ks when your feeling good. Rest when your not. Dont get set on... I have to make X place by X time. Its your trip.. you can stop anytime you want.
    2. keep your speed down. Riding fast is tiring. Ride at a speed that you are comfortable with. One you can maintain without being on the edge of your seat
    3. Making good time is more about just being on the bike than getting anywhere quickly. If your comfortable, enjoying yourself and keep moving.. you will be surprised how quickly the ks disappear behind you.
    4. DRINK AND EAT! Its surprising how many forget the basics.
    5. Enjoy it! Dont stress! Dont worry!

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    i'd like to find someone who can mentor me, but when i went to private message 'the stranger' it said my site envolvemnt is not enough that i can use the pm? any other way around this?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Im happy to show new riders some basic home maintence.Chain lube and adjustment,Brake pad change,oil levels and fluids etc.
    Wellington city PM me
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2013 Suzuki Boulevard S40

eek Just some quick Qs....

Is there somewhere where I can just ask some basic questions about taking care of my motorcycle?
    Im very new to riding, and its harder than I realised not knowing anyone else that has a bike!

Cheers

Bike
    a smelly one
    Quote Originally Posted by Skul1Candy View Post
    Is there somewhere where I can just ask some basic questions about taking care of my motorcycle?
    Im very new to riding, and its harder than I realised not knowing anyone else that has a bike!

Cheers
    Pick up a workshop manual for yer bike, or a similar bike even. They usually have general maintenance sections that outline fairly universal principals. Or, call up your local dealer and have a chat to them about your particular bike.

Bike
    2015 Striple 675
    Are you in Auckland? There are always people around who would be willing to show you basic maintenance. Most importantly tire pressure and cleaning/ oiling the chain.

Thread Information