Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 KTM 990 SuperMoto vs 990 SuperDuke vs Triumph Speed Triple

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I would say this shot from KTM NZ is very representative, unless you're after a different angle? (Just ask)

By now means mistake this screen for even a sportsbike. Its called the Touring Windscreen... must be the smallest tourer screen I've ever seen.

It will not take the wind completely off you, however, it takes the wind off your chest, reduces the buffeting compared to a fully naked bike, and because you sit a bit lower in the bike than say, a Honda Hornet 900 (or the bars and dash are simply higher up) it takes enough wind off you.

I rode my Hornet 900 down to Hamilton and back, and even getting as far as Drury coming north, I had to get off the motorway and could barely move from being locked in position. In contrast, I've covered plenty of straight stuff (only because I had to) for hours on end on the KTM, and done it fine.

If you want to do long distance on a Supermoto, definitely get it. The KTM 990 SMT screen is probably bigger, but I haven't seen that bike in the flesh yet.

edit: oh, 14km is nothing really... I'd do that down the motorway between jobs during the week, on a naked bike. I've done Auckland to Wellington basically non-stop on the KTM with the small screen. Couldn't do that on my naked Hornet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Thinking
    my screen is a bit different but provides the same effect, takes the wind of the chest and its very comfortable for a longer ride
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    2009 Ducati Streetfighter
    Owww, those screens are just soo wrong, HTFU
    As mad as a spider, and twice as hairy !

Bike
    Marsha, she won't see this
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I would say this shot from KTM NZ is very representative, unless you're after a different angle? (Just ask)

By now means mistake this screen for even a sportsbike. Its called the Touring Windscreen... must be the smallest tourer screen I've ever seen.

It will not take the wind completely off you, however, it takes the wind off your chest, reduces the buffeting compared to a fully naked bike, and because you sit a bit lower in the bike than say, a Honda Hornet 900 (or the bars and dash are simply higher up) it takes enough wind off you.

I rode my Hornet 900 down to Hamilton and back, and even getting as far as Drury coming north, I had to get off the motorway and could barely move from being locked in position. In contrast, I've covered plenty of straight stuff (only because I had to) for hours on end on the KTM, and done it fine.

If you want to do long distance on a Supermoto, definitely get it. The KTM 990 SMT screen is probably bigger, but I haven't seen that bike in the flesh yet.

edit: oh, 14km is nothing really... I'd do that down the motorway between jobs during the week, on a naked bike. I've done Auckland to Wellington basically non-stop on the KTM with the small screen. Couldn't do that on my naked Hornet.
    Cheers for that, quiet like the KTM, but the price is a negitive
    Ashhurst Inn Apiti Scamper 2011
    $9000.00 RAISED, THANK YOU
    www.apitiscamper.co.nz

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Get the KTM690 sm Ive had mine for three months and Im thinking it might just be the perfect all rounder

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    how about the streetfighter?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    my screen is a bit different but provides the same effect, takes the wind of the chest and its very comfortable for a longer ride
    Yeah, I think the 690sm screen is a bit wrong, being curved and all. The 990sm is at least edgy as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Owww, those screens are just soo wrong, HTFU
    I tried HTFU pills, but I still hurt. Doing the high side of 500km a day constantly, the extra protection is mucho needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Yeah, they're not cheap, but I managed to justify it. I moved from an 04 ZX10, and basically needed something. 600cc bikes weren't an option due to my size, and all the litre bikes set you back in around the 20k mark. The 990sm is 24k ish, I negotiated that down to 23k (inc a trade) with extras included. The way I saw it, buying the 990sm, I automatically got WP suspension all round, Brembo brakes all round and Marchesini wheels front and rear. You try buying all that kit for 4k, and I still have the full factory support. Hell, even some of the sportsbikes are the same price, or more, standard.

Of course, I further justified it saying I wouldn't have to modify it, but I did anyway, fitting a ton of other gear.

Carver, the streetfighter is just trying to cash in a phase, and I personally think its heavily over-priced for what would be a bike probably regularly crashed. Not in the market for one however, haven't read the reviews and haven't seen one in the flesh. The 990sm pulls outstanding wheelies anyway.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Thinking
    Yeah, I think the 690sm screen is a bit wrong, being curved and all. The 990sm is at least edgy as such.
    Ya reckon, the 690sm screen looks way more refined, yours looks like it was cut out with a pair of scissors on a pre school floor

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Ya reckon, the 690sm screen looks way more refined, yours looks like it was cut out with a pair of scissors on a pre school floor
    Fair enough... musta been a talented pre-schooler... I think I was cutting other things besides the required items Least we each have the correct bikes. It certainly does look a bit odd sorta tacked onto the front, yours is more integrated, but I like mine

Bike
    I tried HTFU pills, but I still hurt. Doing the high side of 500km a day constantly, the extra protection is mucho needed .
    Must be my fat guts & no neck, I can easily pump out 500+ km/day, days on end without one of those ewww screeny things neat bikes all the same

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Must be my fat guts & no neck, I can easily pump out 500+ km/day, days on end without one of those ewww screeny things neat bikes all the same
    and 1000km + ? on the high side... 1500km+...

Bike

Thumbs up

and 1000km + ? on the high side... 1500km+...
    Like I said 500km + , mate rode his SuperMotard from Invercargill to Taranaki (1300km's) without one of those girly screens in under 24hrs & he would be the least bike fit person you'd meet. Hey each to there own @ the end of the day, atleast where all individuals, if we weren't everyone would be riding KTM's

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    the streetfighter is just trying to cash in a phase,
    Perhaps and why not...

and I personally think its heavily over-priced for what would be a bike probably regularly crashed
    How on gods green earth do you come to that conclusion?

Not in the market for one however, haven't read the reviews and haven't seen one in the flesh.
    I have seen one in the flesh and it's just my opinion but I think it's easily the hottest looking Italian road bike out there, the 1098/1198 is meh by comparison, this is one overpriced Italian bike I could go for but alas I would look really stupid on one.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge
    Perhaps and why not...

How on gods green earth do you come to that conclusion?

I have seen one in the flesh and it's just my opinion but I think it's easily the hottest looking Italian road bike out there, the 1098/1198 is meh by comparison, this is one overpriced Italian bike I could go for but alas I would look really stupid on one.
    I'll freely admit to disliking posers that buy bikes purely for the image... I don't see the point.

From marketing, sure, KTM are a small passionate company, that employs just about everyone in the little town where they are based. The passion shows through in the bikes. End of the day, my opinion is my own, and the 690 Stunt, or whatever it is called, is getting away from a stunt bike. I don't know how much you know about stunting, but no matter how good you are, the bikes are dropped, crashed, etc, require parts etc, and to stunt that bike is going to be very very expensive (no problem if you're sponsored I guess). Its also going to be comparatively heavy.

My opinion, and KTM is still the best brand of bike out there

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    [QUOTE=Gremlin;
    My opinion, and KTM is still the best brand of bike out there

Based on what ? Have ridden a 950SM & would rate that very highly , but some pretty big hitters out there at the moment not all in the KTM's marketing scope but never the less , wouldn't say they are the best myself bloody great bit of kit tho for the bikes they are selling top gear & seem to be very reliable .

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Thread Information