Thread: Inline 4 trouble

Bike
    Bobbie Bandit, Willy Tilly

Inline 4 trouble

You see, I had been riding for about 25 minutes, when, all of a sudden, it feels as if I had lost a cylinder. Make sure fuel is on, yup. Give it a huge rev, yep.
    Didn't help. Closest driveway, hop off, and wow. All that unburnt fuel smell.

So.
    MY unmechanical minded diagnostic is that I have lost a spark plug or sommat.
    WHICH.
    Is very hard, if not impossible, to get at without removing my gas tank/the whole fricken thing.
    I can post a video with my phone if need be, to describe to... Not inline-four-ey sound... Like 1/2 I-4, 1/2 single.

By the way, I need a job.
    How would I go about getting a job as a bike mechanic or bike related.
    Just roll on in?
    Never applied for a job myself! Always had someone offer me one.

Bike
    Well that's some mighty odd stuff right there.
    Of the whole 6 k's of gutless riding home before I created this thread, it was all gutless.
    Thinking I may as well, just for shits and giggles, start her up and see what happens now.
    She works.
    Got up to the top of the driveway, and bubleeeeerpblurp and then gutless mode had been activiated.
    So fuck this, I thought. I'll wring the shit outta her.
    So I do, and it works. For a minute, then for the 10 minutes I just rode around for.
    I'm glad it's fixed (Or so I think), but does this sound like... Somehow a mix of a spark plug issue, and/or a clogged carb?
    I remember this happening on my KDX200 once upon a time. She'd be fine untill you throttle on hard, or stayed up in the rev range, turns out the carb float had become stuff on the 'only just open' position.
    GRGRGRWHUUUUUH?!
    Maybe I should buy a two-stroke

So yeah. Am I the only one who thinks I'm writing my own questions and answers
    Er.
    *runs*

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    just buy a 1098 and be done with it

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackshear View Post
    Maybe I should buy a two-stroke *runs*
    Or FI.........

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    just buy a 1098 and be done with it
    Mmmmm... Desmosedici... I did hear a beaut Duc today. By hear, I meant felt all over.
    I felt so insignificant

Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Or FI.........
    Yeah but, I'll wait till I go and get a >250cc
    I like the TL1000 with the full fairings.
    And the kwakka Z1000. Om nom.
    Anyhow.

/thread

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Sounds like . . . . your bike may not be optimum and the plugs are loading up. Either tune it or freshen it up OR . . . thrash it more to keep the plugs clear.

Bike
    2005 R6 that drinks alcohol
    Totally sounds like an ignition issue.

Throw a set of new (and correctly gapped) plugs in the thing. When you have an old plug out, compare the way the electrodes look to a brand new plug. the old electrodes look far more worn/rounded you found your problem. Same goes for tons of nasty black shit on the plugs.

Keep in mind that 2 strokes need to be abused to continue running correctly. At low loads/RPM premix oil LOVES to collect on plug electrodes. Solution: Beat the thing or change plugs often.

If plugs don't fix it you may be having an ignition or pickup coil issue. Coils generate heat during operation. Marginal coils will fall on their face when subjected to heat. It's not uncommon to see a marginal coil work OK when cold but crap out as soon as the thing gets hot. The bike sits for a few minutes and the coil cools off. Then the thing works OK again.

Let us know if you find anything.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Sounds like . . . . your bike may not be optimum and the plugs are loading up. Either tune it or freshen it up OR . . . thrash it more to keep the plugs clear.
    Don't worry, after about 4k's of warming up, she picks up her skirt and moves her big vamoose!

Quote Originally Posted by no-coast-punk View Post
    Totally sounds like an ignition issue.

Throw a set of new (and correctly gapped) plugs in the thing. When you have an old plug out, compare the way the electrodes look to a brand new plug. the old electrodes look far more worn/rounded you found your problem. Same goes for tons of nasty black shit on the plugs.

Keep in mind that 2 strokes need to be abused to continue running correctly. At low loads/RPM premix oil LOVES to collect on plug electrodes. Solution: Beat the thing or change plugs often.

If plugs don't fix it you may be having an ignition or pickup coil issue. Coils generate heat during operation. Marginal coils will fall on their face when subjected to heat. It's not uncommon to see a marginal coil work OK when cold but crap out as soon as the thing gets hot. The bike sits for a few minutes and the coil cools off. Then the thing works OK again.

Let us know if you find anything.
    Tomorrow, I'll have a look around for the tools necessary to remove a said plug, and will have a looksie.

Just a wee bit paranoid of doing things myself, because the pushbike I have is now worth A LOT to me, but bugger all to a prospective owner.

Cheers guys, sounds like I have a fair amount to learn

Bike
    '08 DR650
    You'll have fun getting the plugs, they're quite packed in there, and not cheap to replace ($18 a pop from memory)

Bike
    XJR
    I'd look for a fuel feed problem. If you've got a sticky float valve, you're draining that carbs's bowl, then she'll lose that cylinder. Try tapping the affected bowl and see if it clears up. Now, before you ask, how to find the affected cylinder....it's the one with the colder downpipe when you get home.
    Next bet, HT lead breaking down once it's all warmed up. The fact that you run sweet then die on one cylinder kind of rules out the plugs, they stay pretty constant hot or cold.
    How to get a job........you're unlikely to get a mechanics job straight off, but offer your services doing a bit of bike cleaning/workshop bod, and see if it goes from there.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    You'll have fun getting the plugs, they're quite packed in there, and not cheap to replace ($18 a pop from memory)
    Yeah, I knew it'd be difficult before I did, from everything I've heard about I-4's.
    But boy did I give up quick just now.

Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    I'd look for a fuel feed problem. If you've got a sticky float valve, you're draining that carbs's bowl, then she'll lose that cylinder. Try tapping the affected bowl and see if it clears up. Now, before you ask, how to find the affected cylinder....it's the one with the colder downpipe when you get home.
    Next bet, HT lead breaking down once it's all warmed up. The fact that you run sweet then die on one cylinder kind of rules out the plugs, they stay pretty constant hot or cold.
    How to get a job........you're unlikely to get a mechanics job straight off, but offer your services doing a bit of bike cleaning/workshop bod, and see if it goes from there.
    Never thought of the colder pipe.
    I'm guessing just wait till they're warm to touch, and hopefully feel the cooler one without dying?

As for the carb float, I'll give it a tap/whack next time it happens.
    I don't want to open it like I had to with my old bike. That TINY tiny piece of ... I dunno, rod. Man I was lucky I heard it fall on the carpet.

Yeah, went around asking for any kinda job and they said 'we'd normally let you do the odds and ends, but we're quite busy, and you not having any prior mechanical knowledge etc, it'd put a little strain on our workloads. Sorry bud', at each shop. Sad stuff. So I'll get a crappy job at a supermarket or sommat, two or three days a week to pay for rent, expenses and the rest of the time finding the appropriate course/skill/knowledge.

Cheers, guys

Bike
    XJR
    Mate, work'll come.
    I'm a fully qualified (but unlicenced) aircraft engineer, twenty odd years of fixing planes and helicopters. Did the same as you, door knocking, and now I'm an aluminium joiner. Just wish I could mig weld!
    Don't give up, just keep looking on the industrial estates.

Bike
    05 R6 "Blade Breaker"
    Put a drop or two of water on each header while hot or running. The hot ones will sizzle, the dead cylinder will not.

If you ever want to be a mechanic, or do anything meaningful with your hands ever again do not, for the love of GOD, put your hand on the pipes to feel them. They will burn you faster than you will feel the pain.

I helped my partner fit up a set of headers and a slipon on my previous R6. Took it for a quick test run minus the fairings and noticed a bark from the header area. Thought I'd fix it myself and tightened the header bolts before my guy could stop me. My arm/wrist crossed one of the pipes and burnt me bad enough I didn't really feel it. Could smell it though and its taken 8 months for the circle to fade. Minimal scarring thanks to quick work by him and some great second skin products from the army.

Also just a thought from when I used to own an old RX3 Rotary - running it hard on 3 cylinders heats things up unevenly. You risk warping a head and doing a head gasket.

The things I know
    Te librará de la mujer ajena, de la extraña que halaga con sus palabras

When you turn your bike on - does it return the favour?

Mine does

Bike
    05 R6 "Blade Breaker"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackshear View Post
    So I'll get a crappy job at a supermarket or sommat, two or three days a week to pay for rent, expenses and the rest of the time finding the appropriate course/skill/knowledge.
    Ahhhh ever thought about the army as a mechanic?
    Te librará de la mujer ajena, de la extraña que halaga con sus palabras

When you turn your bike on - does it return the favour?

Mine does

Bike
    08ZX10, 98 KX250
    It takes balls to go in and ask for a job, your going to get a few knock backs, but keep going back! Look at a local polytechnic for a mechanic related course, but don't give up.

Just a thought
    you could also get some tools and a manual on your bike and just do a few tinkering bits, also you might want to look at a bike wrecker see if they have any jobs going
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Dude, I was riding it home from Hamilton in the pi$$ing rain $hitting myself .... There's no way in hell I could own that bike for a week and still have my license. There...I've admitted it.

Scracha Loves me ... Know him before you judge me.

Thread Information