Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Classic/Vintage Bikes

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    These people have a reasonable range available

And you can get taps and dies to produce your own from these people.
    It's looking easier and easier!
    Whilst I cannot just head off to the local hardware shop there seem to be quite a few options available once you know where too look. But for now I am writing my birthday wish list...
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    2007 Triumph Speedmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@ View Post
    Hmm... I've got a James but only because it's got the same name as me.
    As far as I know it's somewhere between a 1931 and 1939. Still investigating...
    And the renovation looks like it will take a small while. Aparently the threads for the bolts have gone out of production!
    Had one when i was 14 pushed like to go. got the mile down the road before expired and had ta push it home ,gave up and the old man gave me 75 pounds and bought a 350 matchless:

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Sounds about right!
    But I do hope that mine manages a bit more than a mile... at least I have to go more than a mile before i find a hill!
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    2005 Custom Moped
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@ View Post
    Sounds about right!
    But I do hope that mine manages a bit more than a mile... at least I have to go more than a mile before i find a hill!
    my eldest brother had a James with a hand change like yours
    We used to ride it in the paddock and made jumps out of wood and you needed a long run up to get airbourne.
    When he was sick of it he swapped it for a packet of Rothmans and a bar of chocolate

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Was the chocolate bar needed to fill the hole created by trying to jump a hard tail?
    Motorbike only search

Bike
    '69 K0, '71 Stinger, '73 Z1, '74 AC50
    I always wanted a CB750. Hadn't even seen one for about 25 years or so. I found one and spent a couple of years getting it right and then started looking around for a new project.

The Zed's not finished yet but I'm nearly there.

These two aren't concours but they're correct. I like my bikes to be as near to the same as they came off the production line as I possibly can. So I don't mix and match parts. If it's not built for a 1969 K0 or 1973 Z1, I don't want to use it.

The bikes are used every weekend or so subject to weather, they're not garage queens. I haven't put crash bars around the engine casings because I think that ruins the lines of the bike. Maybe I'll pay for that way of thinking later.

These bikes aren't especially quick but they were very hot in their day. And they still look great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pair1_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	127883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pair2_.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	127884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pair_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	127885  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Quote Originally Posted by toycollector10 View Post
    I always wanted a CB750. Hadn't even seen one for about 25 years or so. I found one and spent a couple of years getting it right and then started looking around for a new project.

The Zed's not finished yet but I'm nearly there.

These two aren't concours but they're correct. I like my bikes to be as near to the same as they came off the production line as I possibly can. So I don't mix and match parts. If it's not built for a 1969 K0 or 1973 Z1, I don't want to use it.

The bikes are used every weekend or so subject to weather, they're not garage queens. I haven't put crash bars around the engine casings because I think that ruins the lines of the bike. Maybe I'll pay for that way of thinking later.

These bikes aren't especially quick but they were very hot in their day. And they still look great!
    Your bikes are stunning. i admire your philosophy of not mixing parts from other model years in order to keep the bikes authentic. Quite demanding, but very rewarding.

I'm not that much of a purist when it comes to my own bikes.

I deliberately mixed and matched parts when I restored my R90S, because there are some significant gains in function and rideability to be made by retrofitting some components from the later airheads. Areas like the brakes, clutch, gearbox and driveshaft are all easily upgradable while still maintaining the original external appearance. I'm restoring our R75/5 at present, and taking a similar approach with a view to improving the clutch and gearbox in particular. These bikes need all the help they can get in that area!

Looking at the photos of your bikes, I suspect that restoring a '70s BMW airhead is probably an easier proposition than restoring a '70s jap bike, even though there weren't many airheads sold in NZ. The supply of parts both new and used in NZ is reasonably good if you know where to look, and very extensive overseas. The prices tend to be surprisingly reasonable for a lot of it too. From my observations, some of the components on jap bikes don't respond well to conventional restoration techniques with their sealed components and assemblies, and I'm guessing that chrome-plated plastic and light die-cast alloy would present a challenge too. You have my respect, sir.

Bike
    Thanks for your comments Max.

Anyone restoring a motorcycle today is living in the age of the Internet. Donor bikes in my instance were bought on eBay.com and imported.

Parts have come from every corner of the globe and are paid for using PayPal or other electronic means after being bought on-line.

Technical information and advice comes from the Internet forums specific to the type of bike.

And also, belonging to a group of like minded restorers and riders means local knowledge and experience can be shared.

Compared to twenty years ago, the bike magazines always had advertisements in the back for parts and stuff. To get anything your local dealer couldn't supply you had to snail mail US currency and the like or to post off for a free catalogue.

The internet makes a project so much easier now. And gives you the confidence to know that if you can't find a particular part after searching the net for two weeks without any luck you can still be sure that it will surface within the following two weeks or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Yep, the interweb has transformed the way we approach restorations these days, and in fact the web has (in my opinion) made special interest clubs almost irrelevant. The ability to connect with special interest groups via the web has sped up access and availability of parts & knowledge dramatically.

I follow several web-based BMW-specific groups, where information-sharing and parts networking are very strong. It's interesting to look back at motorcycle magazines dating back ten short years and noting that few of the advertisers had an email address, let alone a website . . . .

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    There's a garage in Sunnynook in Takapuna owned by an older bloke that's full of classics! Can't remember the guys name but he rebuilds bikes.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    1979 Kawasaki Z1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    There's a garage in Sunnynook in Takapuna owned by an older bloke that's full of classics! Can't remember the guys name but he rebuilds bikes.
    hey Ed, can you find out for me please, Id like to pay him a visit.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Hey bud really nice bikes! Like the Zed.

I'd take them pics off here and go over the number plate numbers in Paint shop and blank them(especially if there registered to your home) or take pics at angle you can't read them. Then re post!! That 900 is becoming very valuable and desirable! LOL!! So many bikes getting nicked these days and you can't go to the local bike shop and replace those baby's.

DID I say Nice Zed!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by classic zed View Post
    hey Ed, can you find out for me please, Id like to pay him a visit.
    It's on Sunnynook Rd. just over the bridge on the Eastern side of the motorway on the left,(north), side of the road. He's got an old CA Bedford as the shop van. If I can find the name I'll let you know.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Re the security issue: I've got two low-tech, meat-eating, four-legged security guards, plus some very high-tech protection as well.

Any "new owner" wouldn't risk showing them out in public, it's not like there's one in every suburb. And if they wanted to part them out or on-sell that would suit me as they would then be very easy to find.

Besides, the bikes are out and about on the roads so often, blanking out the plates is pointless.

UPDATE: I decided not to tempt fate...Plates removed 29/4/09
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    2003 Suzuki GSXR1000
    This is my dad's 1930 Indian four, which he restored.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thread Information