Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow these NC30's really run hot...

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries

Wow these NC30's really run hot...

I know these bikes do run hot but this is starting to really distract me. It's running at 80 degrees or just above on the motorway, which i reckon should be right, however in 50k/60k zones it is running at over 90 and when i'm in busy areas and in traffic it goes right up over 100 which is just over half way on the gauge. Sit in traffic for a little while and it will proceed to 3/4 of the reading.

My Haynes does not say what temp it should be running at/optimum temp so I would like to know from some NC30 owners:

-What is the normal running temp for A)50/60k zones with some traffic B)motorway ?

-I thought maybe my fan was not working but indeed i took a good look and it does turn on, however, it only turns on when the temp gauge goes to 3/4 of the reading! i thought that was kind of alarming considering that's probably over 110 degrees- why doesn't the fan go on at or before the halfway point and should i modify this?

Bike
    B12
    Nah its pretty normal.

Going down queen street at 10pm my TL gets to 110 degrees.
    Not looking forward to ever doing that in the middle of the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    Vespa 550
    yea its pretty normal. the cooling on them is pretty limited. oil coolers go a long way on them (like the nc21 and 24 i think).I struggle to get my nc21 at much temperatuire at all.

So long as it doesn't go past 125 C i think it is ok. Depending what oil is in it. But dont quote me.

They do hate sitting however. just switch them off if it becomes an issue.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Sounds like it's doing exactly what it should. That's why you have a pressurised radiator system.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Coolant temperature gauges just cause annoyance and distraction.

I choose to ride a bike with an aircooled engine, so that I may remain in blissful ignorance of whether it's about to melt and run down between my legs.

kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Blog Entries
    125- it probably does get bloody close to that. lostinflyz- does yours get to 3/4 temp in traffic?

I've heard of the fan switch mod- is it simple to do? Lostinflyz do you have a spare lower radiator by chance? about 20% of my fins are a bit bent but i don't know if that really makes much difference.

You guys think there would be a noticeable change in performance from 80 to 110 degrees? I ask because the times that it is 110 degrees are when im in traffic so i cant thrash it!

Bike
    that one in my sig
    I know it's a different bike but my CBR runs around 72-80 on the open road depending on air temp and speed. Around town the fan kicks in somewhere just over 100 degrees (104 or 106 I think).

Never thought twice about it.

Bike
    NC30
    Thats fine for a nc30. Mine runs at about 1/3 around town but if i get stuck at the lights for too long it can go over half way and sometimes even nearly hit the red ( only happened twice ). I know for a fact my fan doesnt work tho. If i just keep her moving she stays at a good temperature.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

hey disotex is that a CBR400? How do they go compared to the NC30's?

Instead of creating a new thread- I think my Viffer could idle a bit nicer and it made me think it would be nice knowing it's in shape so i'm wondering how much is a good price to pay for carb balancing?

off topic: If anyone has a spare set of rearsets/pegs/brackets.... left hand switch case or assembly for CBR VFR NSR let me know cheers

Bike
    Vespa 550
    Quote Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
    125- it probably does get bloody close to that. lostinflyz- does yours get to 3/4 temp in traffic?

I've heard of the fan switch mod- is it simple to do? Lostinflyz do you have a spare lower radiator by chance? about 20% of my fins are a bit bent but i don't know if that really makes much difference.

You guys think there would be a noticeable change in performance from 80 to 110 degrees? I ask because the times that it is 110 degrees are when im in traffic so i cant thrash it!
    hey mate. depending how long your in traffic she can go off the clock. not to worry. just shut her down. they cool down bloody quick once you get moving.

sorry mate havent got a lower radiator. youd be doing well to find a radiator anywhere that doesn't look a bit worse for wear.

there shouldnt be a performance drop due to the temp increase. i know that my race bikes dont run perfect till in the low 90's. pain in the arse in winter when they only get to high 70's. cant be arsed taping up rads. 110 is no prob. so long as theres good oil in it shell be sweet.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    good v4 info from you lostinflyz- thanks. what do you think about the carb rebalancing thing i mentioned? The bike just doesnt constantly purr it kind of blips or falls a tiny bit every few seconds or so... maybe it's perfectly normal i dunno- it's just my car doesn't do it lol. Or is valve clearance a better thing to spend money on? How much would be a good price for valve clearances to be done?

Bike
    that one in my sig
    hey disotex is that a CBR400? How do they go compared to the NC30's?
    Nah mate I've got a modern 600 (the one in my sig). Haven't ridden a 400 ever. Just figured if my bike runs that hot new it's no big deal for other bikes.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Oh ok lucky man!!

lol one more thing to add to the list! I have a slight dent in my exhaust pipe- after the headers but before the can... that bit. My can has been gutted too. This can't make much/any difference to performance could it?

Bike
    NC30
    Oh ok lucky man!!

lol one more thing to add to the list! I have a slight dent in my exhaust pipe- after the headers but before the can... that bit. That can't make much/any difference to performance could it?
    If its just a small dent it will make absolutely no difference i suspect. I think there is a bend that is near where the pipe comes out from under the bike on the left and it looks like a dent, you might mean that?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    umm yeah lol it's exactly that!! That's not a bad dent then? But there are 2 of those ''dents'' right? One on top of that bend and one on the outside? it's just my exhaust has some scratches around that a... so i thought it may be damage... but i guess i might be wrong.

Thread Information