Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WOF and aftermarket pipes.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    But the noise measurement is 100 decibels for a motorcycle larger than 125cc and 96 decibels for a 125 and below FFS.

Most bikes - even with race exhausts - would struggle to hit 100 decibels. 100 is farken loud.

And coz my bike is an air cooled, 2 valve per cyclinder twin it gets measured at 3,000rpm....at which point my bike sounds quite tame. She sings between 6,000 and 9,000.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    And coz my bike is an air cooled, 2 valve per cyclinder twin it gets measured at 3,000rpm....at which point my bike sounds quite tame. She sings between 6,000 and 9,000.
    Same the VTR is water cooled mine 4 valve per cylinder and gets measured at 4000rpm like yours is pretty tame and the bark doesn't really happen till about 6500 and under a load...

But the guys at the shop said its not that loud, but I don't find it offensive...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    But the noise measurement is 100 decibels for a motorcycle larger than 125cc and 96 decibels for a 125 and below FFS.

Most bikes - even with race exhausts - would struggle to hit 100 decibels. 100 is farken loud.

100% correct - however they have that phrase regarding louder than stock. If they believe it is louder than stock and you have not got the certification sticker to prove it is within legal levels they can ticket. Its up to you to prove it is a legal pipe. Guilty unless you can prove otherwise.

The whole measurement level is flawed as well IMO - why not just set all bikes at 50% of redline? Was that too easy for the committee and did not allow them to charge more?
    In point:
    My Hornet redlines at 9500 - noise test at 4500 that's 47% of my bikes max revs.
    A GSXR thingy redlines at say 14,000 - test at 4500 that's only 32% of max revs.
    Guess which engine is working harder and making more noise.

On the bright side, at least my Honda will last longer - he he he he

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    why not just set all bikes at 50% of redline?
    That is actually the recommendation,the chart is just a guideline for various motors.Without a tacho it's all a guess anyway.This is for the subjective test anyway,it's not official....it's called the ''quick test'',and that's all it is,a quick test.That's why the limits for the quick test are set lower than that for the objective test.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2005 Triumph Speed Four
    Just spoke to a local (to Palmy North) ONT certifier and he said that I was the first biker he'd heard from. Anecdotally, around here they're coming down really hard on boy racers but leaving bikers pretty much alone. Won't be long tho til they widen the net.

Pricewise he said the quick test (hand held) cost $40 and could be done while you wait. The Objective Noise Test costs $170 and takes 2-3 hours. You have to book it in well in advance because they have to order in the equipment to conduct the test. The cert sounds like a real PITA involving detailed drawings and descriptions of the emissions system.
    Manawatu Tag-o-rama Website. Mowgli's score: 38

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    Just spoke to a local (to Palmy North) ONT certifier and he said that I was the first biker he'd heard from. Anecdotally, around here they're coming down really hard on boy racers but leaving bikers pretty much alone. Won't be long tho til they widen the net.

Pricewise he said the quick test (hand held) cost $40 and could be done while you wait. The Objective Noise Test costs $170 and takes 2-3 hours. You have to book it in well in advance because they have to order in the equipment to conduct the test. The cert sounds like a real PITA involving detailed drawings and descriptions of the emissions system.
    Find a nice bikeshop who'll give you a warrant, then just watch the revs around cops hehe.
    I never attracted any bad attention with the Triumph, the only attention I got from the cops were admiring looks! Oh... and err getting pulled over once for looking 'dodgy'.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    hand held cost $40 and could be done while you wait

I understand you can get that type of service in any red-light area as well
    Probably pay to keep the noise levels down there as well!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the rpm for bikes that they test at the wof station?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Oh... and err getting pulled over once for looking 'dodgy'.
    What do you have to do to look dodgy?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2005 Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Find a nice bikeshop who'll give you a warrant, then just watch the revs around cops hehe.
    I never attracted any bad attention with the Triumph, the only attention I got from the cops were admiring looks! Oh... and err getting pulled over once for looking 'dodgy'.
    Yeah, I have a guy that looks after us well (I doubt his test requires batteries). I'm still interested in knowing where I am on the scale. Would be handy to know in case I'm ever challenged at the roadside.
    Manawatu Tag-o-rama Website. Mowgli's score: 38

Bike
    2007 Suzuki M109r
    Getting your bike/pipes certified isn't gonna help one little bit if you're unlucky enough to get a picky cop or rub them the wrong way.

Latest legislation says noise levels have to be 'similar or quieter than stock' if you have aftermarkets or modified exhausts. It's mostly aimed at the big-bore boy racers that keep the Merivalians awake in CHCH, but bikes have been lumped in too.

Depends on whether you get stung for 'Noisy equipment' or 'Operating in a Noisy Manner' as to whether you get the demerits or a bigger fine.

As for warrants, stick with the places the Harley shops recommend.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky19 View Post
    Getting your bike/pipes certified isn't gonna help one little bit if you're unlucky enough to get a picky cop or rub them the wrong way.

Latest legislation says noise levels have to be 'similar or quieter than stock' if you have aftermarkets or modified exhausts.
    Not quite correct - you may run a louder system - and if it is certified (yoou get a document to prove this) the police will not be able to ticket you.

LTSA says:
    The exhaust system may be noisier than the original one provided that:
    the noise output either remains well below the legal noise limits, or
    an Objective Noise Test proves that the exhaust system does not exceed the legal noise limits.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    So you could have the LV cert that your +125cc bike does 99.9dB and you'd be ok?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    So you could have the LV cert that your +125cc bike does 99.9dB and you'd be ok?
    technically yes

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

He told me that they have been told that if it is a modified stock or aftermarket pipe fail it. Irrespective of noise level.
    That has been their policy even before the new laws as I had the problem when I had a set of drags they wouldn't pass because they were aftermarket.

Solution - took the bike to a place that knows what it's on about rather than having a policy not reflective of the law.

Blood Hornby AA

You should check the CKMC website, March Hare video if you want to see Chucks rip roaring m109R with aftermarket pipes. Loudest friken bike at the rally, I'd place a wager! Don't think he's been stung for them either (btw thanks for saving my ass last weekend. Jeremys bike hasn't caused me anymore problems)
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Thread Information