Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic sidecars for sale

Bike
    DR650, BSA B33, BMW R1100S

Classic sidecars for sale

Seems there aren't any on the go in the South Island - anybody selling one or upgrading, or thinking of building a couple? How do you get started?

Bike
    motocompo
    Your best contact here is Markc (Mark Corrigan) A lot of the newly built classics, as in, ones built to the regs out of period parts have been made by John Anderson.
    The Have a go day is on 19th October at Taupo, If youre really serious about getting into it then it may be worth the trip.
    A good classic would be faster than most of the south island modern outfits anyway.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    A good classic would be faster than most of the south island modern outfits anyway.
    Wanker bastard that he's right though there's also quite a few NI ones that would apply to as well

There's only one outfit that I know of in Chch that is being modified for classic racing and if you're looking at racing down here you'd be out with the "moderns" anyway

Otherwise you'd better be prepared to spend a lot of time travelling to the North Island

The next outing for Sidecars at Ruapuna is probably Oct 19th (if any show up)
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    motocompo
    Youre so predictable mate, How did i know that last comment would find you.

Bike
    Anything BSA

old chairs

http://www.sidecarracing.co.nz/

some good images on the site MarkC maintains. A good number of classic chairs are simply modified road bikes that just keep evolving over time.
    An old road bike is a good starting point for building a "sitter".

You could join the SRA as it covers both moderns and classics, the editor of the SRA magazine races a sharp Norton outfit which her husband built.
    Be nice to see the SI get some classic rigs going, might make the Burt Munro meeting work for us.

Bike
    DR650, BSA B33, BMW R1100S
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

There's only one outfit that I know of in Chch that is being modified for classic racing and if you're looking at racing down here you'd be out with the "moderns" anyway

Otherwise you'd better be prepared to spend a lot of time travelling to the North Island

The next outing for Sidecars at Ruapuna is probably Oct 19th (if any show up)
    Thanks guys, I'll get along to the Ruapuna meet and see if I can find anyone interested in Classics. Regular travel to Taupo won't work (just moved down from the NI).
    I saw a few pictures of Guzzi chairs on the web site, does anyone race BMW outfits in NZ?
    On some of the US sites there is a big following for XS650 setups - is there any class option to race classic Jap bikes?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Matrix View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll get along to the Ruapuna meet and see if I can find anyone interested in Classics.
    I can already tell you that although you might find people interested down here (myself included) no one is likely to bother

I saw a few pictures of Guzzi chairs on the web site, does anyone race BMW outfits in NZ?
    Sidecarboob has got a BMW R100 powered outfit

On some of the US sites there is a big following for XS650 setups - is there any class option to race classic Jap bikes?
    No Jappas allowed and the XS stuff is getting to be as pricey as the Eurotrash anyway
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    No Jappas allowed and the XS stuff is getting to be as pricey as the Eurotrash anyway
    Still can't understand that mentality. (not yours, I know kick).
    A 71 Suzi water bucket, in a Windle frame is F**king classic in my books.
    Might just be one at Taupo Oct19

Bike
    Anything BSA

classic japa's

Theres only one meeting in the year where Jap sidecars arent welcome and thats the classic festival at Puke in Feb. All other NZCMRR meetings are open to all classic outfits, nothing wrong with the old waterbus's etc. Bring em out.
    While the euro classics are well supported the post classic era with jap 2 strokes and in line 4's is poorly supported.
    If its got a front exit all the better.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Still can't understand that mentality. (not yours, I know kick).
    A 71 Suzi water bucket, in a Windle frame is F**king classic in my books.
    Might just be one at Taupo Oct19
    I fully agree, Saw a rough '76 Goldwing on trademe today that got me thinking.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Theres only one meeting in the year where Jap sidecars arent welcome and thats the classic festival at Puke in Feb. All other NZCMRR meetings are open to all classic outfits, nothing wrong with the old waterbus's etc. Bring em out.
    While the euro classics are well supported the post classic era with jap 2 strokes and in line 4's is poorly supported.
    If its got a front exit all the better.
    Thanks for clearing that up, I have very rarely seen a Classic Japanese outfit and assumed the "no Jappa's" was across the board

Bryan Wyeth ran his Waterbus powered outfit in the NZ Nationals and I think he got something like 5th overall a few years back

Bike
    Anything BSA

another option

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMDs6Sdx2M

You can source a new replica of "Stentos chair" bare rolling chassis based on the one shown on youtube.
    He had one at the last Taupo meeting for sale. Its a proven and successful small wheeled kneeler layout, that should be able to fit a jap 2 stroke multi. He runs unit triumphs himself. I think the complete rolling chassis was 3k? Would save a lot of work and be a good rig. Send me a private message and I'll find his email or ph.

Bike
    Anything BSA

slightly offtrack

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=0dA--yrYmtY

you'll also find markc taking a rest under an outfit on utube

hasnt put him off

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMDs6Sdx2M

You can source a new replica of "Stentos chair" bare rolling chassis based on the one shown on youtube.
    He had one at the last Taupo meeting for sale. Its a proven and successful small wheeled kneeler layout, that should be able to fit a jap 2 stroke multi. He runs unit triumphs himself. I think the complete rolling chassis was 3k? Would save a lot of work and be a good rig. Send me a private message and I'll find his email or ph.
    Thanks for posting that clip up, Thats the outfit ive been passengering for Stentos daughter Tracey.

Bike
    Anything BSA

oops

Made the mistake of mentioning in public I might sell my Outfit and the bloody things gone. Have started building a better looking one, none of that Norton rubbish, a proper BSA this time. But wont be ready before the Feb Festival. There goes my have a go day ride in November. Bugger.
    I still have some good Norton twin race motors if anyone's interested. Good sidecar tackle for pre 76 or pre 63. Too many carburettors for me...

Thread Information