Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    I'm amazed its as heavy (more?) as my hyo 650.
    Perhaps because of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeless bastard View Post
    2: Suzuki has changes specs to WET weight for the 2009 year.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401

Decisions, decisions...

Yeah, to affirm several posts above, 202Kg is the kerb weight, which means wet, with a full tank of gas and all fluids topped up.

I'm looking to get a new bike in about 7-8 Months time. For under $12G, and less than 700CC. I want it to be fuel injected too.
    I was considering either the SV650 or the GSX650F, then I read about this.
    I like the styling, but I tend to prefer an IL4 to a V2.
    Is there any reason why a Gladius would be preferable to a GSX650F -assuming they will be about the same price?

I like the smoothness of an IL4, and don't mind the width. I like the fairing on the GSX650F.

On the other hand, if I go for a V2, maybe the SV650S will be a better option as the price might drop and it has an aluminium alloy frame?

On the other hand, there's the Kawasaki ER-6N or the Ninja 650R...

At least I have several months to make up my mind...
    If only the Hornet 600 was more reasonably priced!

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    What I thought also.

A heavier, uglier er6n :P
    was thinking the same thing....
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    VTR250

Bike
    None any more
    I've yet to read a bad review. It appears that Suzuki may have crafted a winner here.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    I see they're being advertised on Colemans Suzuki website "Coming soon" $11,995

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R
    So the current list of mid-sized suzuki road (i.e. not sport, cruiser, trail etc) bikes are...
    1. SV650n/s
    2. GSR600
    3. GSX600 (no 'r')
    and now
    4. SFV650??

That's ridiculous! Sure there are differences between these bikes, but do we really need 4 mid-sized road bikes to choose from??

Why don't they do a DL750? or an SV750? Put that GSXR750 mill in a sport tourer's frame and have a go at the vfr market! I reckon that'll be an awesome bike!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post
    So the current list of mid-sized suzuki road (i.e. not sport, cruiser, trail etc) bikes are...
    1. SV650n/s
    2. GSR600
    3. GSX600 (no 'r')
    and now
    4. SFV650??

That's ridiculous! Sure there are differences between these bikes, but do we really need 4 mid-sized road bikes to choose from??

Why don't they do a DL750? or an SV750? Put that GSXR750 mill in a sport tourer's frame and have a go at the vfr market! I reckon that'll be an awesome bike!
    True. But number 3 is the GSX650F.
    and number 4 is to replace number 1.

Bike
    V-Strom 650
    G.L.A.D.I.U.S. Goes Like Another Dumb, Incredibly Ugly Suzuki

I'm just kidding about the Another part, most Suzuki's are well crafted and sharp and I'm quite fond of the GSXR nose and hammerhead tail.

But the Gladys is pig-dog ugly. Double paper bag ugly. The headlight cowl is too curved (needs work, maybe a screen) and the exhaust looks like it came off of a two-stroke scooter. Chrome cover over dull steel? I know that exhausts are the first to go in mods, but this it a horrid place to start from. (Honda's latest CBR exhausts are quite nice at the moment, suzuki should steal theirs).
    'I always have coffee when I watch radar, everyone knows that' - Lord Dark Helmet -

www.stepup.mil.nz

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Quote Originally Posted by YLWDUC View Post
    G.L.A.D.I.U.S. Goes Like Another Dumb, Incredibly Ugly Suzuki

I'm just kidding about the Another part, most Suzuki's are well crafted and sharp and I'm quite fond of the GSXR nose and hammerhead tail.

But the Gladys is pig-dog ugly. Double paper bag ugly. The headlight cowl is too curved (needs work, maybe a screen) and the exhaust looks like it came off of a two-stroke scooter. Chrome cover over dull steel? I know that exhausts are the first to go in mods, but this it a horrid place to start from. (Honda's latest CBR exhausts are quite nice at the moment, suzuki should steal theirs).
    Come on, if it had been crafted in Italy we'd all be raving about how good it looked. As has been said it's got some pretty good reviews so far, and at least it's not another IL4.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Suzuki NZ have stopped importing the SV650 (= naked) since I think K8 models.

I can only think steel frames are cheaper to manufacture than aluminium. I mean there are expensive, well made bikes using full aluminium frames and swingarms, so steel = cheaper not necessarily better?

The rev limit is slightly lower I think on the re-tuned 650 v-twin used in the Gladius from the SV650 (was 11,000rpm, now 10,500rpm). Not that this matters (taking an SV650 past about 10,000rpm is pointless). Suzuki claim to have increased / retuned for low end torque.

The 650 motor in the SV650 is a honey. It has performed well over many years. So at least the Gladius has a good starting point with the engine.

I'm guessing the Gladius has twin bulbs for the headlamp.

I still prefer the look of the pointy SV650 (ie K3+) models.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650
    There is a pretty good review of the Gladius in the April, Bike Rider magazine.

I think they look like a real nice bike. They are on the smallish side of medium ... if that makes sense.

That motor is very good. I know if I was looking for a new 650 naked, it would be on the top of my list. I like V Twins. (It would be good if there was a 650 version of the great little VTR 250!)

I'd be surprised if there were many disappointed Gladius buyers ..... You can't go far wrong with an updated version of an SV650, for a do pretty much anything kind of bike! IMHO.

Bike
    SV1000s
    well im in the same boat, looking for a bike in this cc range.

typically the sv's bore me and the gladius is no different, the new lines are certainly better than the sv650n.

but there are'nt many options in the dealers line up..

suzuki have:
    Gladius 650
    gsxf 650
    gsr 600
    sv 650n\s
    bandit 650

Honda have:
    cb600?

Yamaha have:
    Fz6n\s\r
    fj6n\s

kawasaki have:
    er6n\f

Hyosung have:
    gt650\r

triumph have:

theres alot of choice over bikes, suzuki clearly targeting the market, including for motors, sure triumph have the triple(cost a premium to buy), kawasaki have the parralell twin, yamaha have inline 4 and suzuki have vtwin and inline 4.

11 bikes in total, exept for the triumph, none are really inspirational are they?

for me i have only had twins so my only options are the kawasaki or the sv650, im thinking i may need to accuant myself with the inline4 cos the yamaha i think is probably the best bike in the class.

Bike
    VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    well im in the same boat, looking for a bike in this cc range.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKVEzLJroLA

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    11 bikes in total, exept for the triumph, none are really inspirational are they?
    "Inspirational" for whom? Many of those bikes can be significantly transformed by spending a few thousand dollars on suspension and brake modifications which, I predict, would catapult them into the realms of the truly outstanding.

Case in point, the GSX650F. Suzuki has produced an absolute cracker of a bike here, straight out of the box. This is the result of the gradual evolution of the mid-size Bandit over nearly 20 years and tens of millions sold. The prospect of what brake and suspension modifications could do to this peach of a ride is truly terrifying. Particularly when all of this could be done leaving change out of $16,000.

And then, one could add a full Yoshi system, K&N filter and a Power Commander and have a bike that I imagine a competent rider would have more fun with than a prodigious dipsomaniac at a free beer festival.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information