Thread: TT500 CDI conversion

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650

TT500 CDI conversion

I hope this isn't a repost but if it is then I can't find it. Anyway, I have a 1980 TT500 and am thinking about converting it to cdi. As near as I can tell from part numbers the SR500, XT500 and TT500 all use the same engine cases - so I'm thinking the SR500 (or late model XT500) magneto setup should bolt straight on. All three bikes use the same magneto cover so that will work. The SR and late model XT have a different right hand engine cover without the points cover etc. but I could leave that all in place or replace it with an SR/XT cover.
    So I'm thinking I need a magneto and flywheel, cdi unit and 12 volt coil. I don;t belive it needs a battery as I've just rewired my SR400 and the ignition circuit is seperate from the lighting one so the ignition doesn;t need the battery or regulator, although I will probably fit 12 volt lights if I get that far.
    So what do you think - will this work?

Bike
    91 H-D Sportster +03 H-D Superglide
    Go to

www.yamaha-xt500.com

sr500forum.proboards38.com

Pretty sure you will find everything you will ever need to know on these sites.

Cheers

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Thanks, the second link has a thread on this exact topic and it looks like it might be do-able. Anyone got a spare SR500 magneto/flywheel etc?

Thread Information