Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a bike for Taupo

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket

Building a bike for Taupo

I have just got a Suzuki GP125 and want to get it race ready for Taupo. Anyone know any tricks for making one of these go? I am looking forward to meeting with all the other F4/F5 racers there. In my imagination its like the Isle of Man for buckets. Can't wait Looking forward to the flag drop and that first corner rush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP125 Bike.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	106683  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Oh my! What a quality machine.

Isle of Mann for buckets?!? That's quite some imagination you have.
    Well the link track leading back onto the main part of the top section could be bumpy & tight enough to qualify for that statement I guess? Apart from that it looks very much like a racetrack.

Whatever you do buy some decent tyres (do a search on this site) & also search, there are a few threads about GPs. You should take some lower gearing, road gearing will be too tall.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Ignore F5, everyone else does. The best person to ask about GP125s is TZ350. Him and his workmates have a fleet of them and they have done LOTS of development. Their bikes seem to run well and are reliable. Come out to Mt Wgtn for the next meeting and have a look and a chat with them.
    Decide where you want to go with the bike. As F5 says, get decent tyres but first decide what wheels you want/need. No use buying tyres for wheels you are going to toss in a short time.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Surprisingly for such an old chap Spe’s dementia sometimes subsides & he says something useful.

You have less than 3 months so how much time & effort are you going to put into it is a valid question. To make a very competitive bike in such a short time will take some coin & dedication. If you just want a laugh then aim at only doing the things you are likely to get done by then.

Bike
    r1 r/r sidecar, fxr 150
    yeah the ESE team have a fleet of GP 125s sure they can help, but not much time to get alot done & get ontrack before Taupo so just get the basics done. Who is speedpro?? PS & get your entry in quick

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    change the tires tt100 would be good for those rims
    or get better rims
    there will probably be some 17's you can lace up at the track next time $400 (good price)

and finding slicks isn't hard
    the gearing for taupo on a standard engine I dont think changes much but for mt Wellington you will want an 11 or 12 frount sproket and maby a 15 16 for taupo {i have from memory a 15 and 54 back sproket but the engine is not standard and on 17's} i think they have a 17 on standard but dont quote me
    remove the oil pump and use premix
    remove everything etc change where the pegs are and change the handlebars clipons are nice you will find that the exaust and bike stands scrape around corners if ridden hard lol

best to come to the track if you can and have a talk
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    also make sure everything in the engine is up to a good thrashing ie rebuild if you can

they are a good engine standard and heeps more fun warm
    rg250w pipes modify easily to fit ask how at the track may even have 1 or 2 spare now lol depends if they get used for the new engine lol
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Leave the bars that are on it. Most of the seriously fast guys have fairly wide and not too low bars on their bikes for the kart tracks.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    like gary and dave lol

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    whatever is easier but I found the high bars a pain couldn't get enouch wheight on the frount tire and it would flip over backwards on a good start
    especialy with the standard engine and the right gearing to run in 5th around Mt Wellington

Gary and Dave run clipons Karl has mx bars reconds he can fight it to the tarmack that way

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    have you seen how high those handles are like ape hangers

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Nigel Duff(AK #1), Jim Steadman(winner of more Ohakea GPs than everyone else put together)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Nigel was talking about putting lower bars on for taupo, Jimmys bars are hardly high or wide like mx bars. I rode Nigel's bike, it was seriously hard to get your head around those bars & lets remember that I used mx bars on my H100 & I dirtbike a fair bit. Some people like them & fair call. for the H it wobbled enough & the pegs were far enough forward that it suited point & squirt style.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    hardly compair to the standard gp125 bars at all

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets

GP Engine Mods

The real deal for GP125’s is Skim and “O” ring the barrel, no porting, KX80 ignition, RG250 chamber, 97.5 main jet.

Read Keith Code's books. You will have to experiment with riding style to find what setup works for you.

Some pictures of our GP's at Mt Wellington where we race wet or fine. In the last 2 hour (run anti clockwise) Keith Biddel was consistently clocked at 31's and Joe Mead at 30.5's on these GP’s. The really hot boys were about 30’s so our bikes are right up there. See you at Taupo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP125 Eng Ignition.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	469.7 KB 
ID:	106795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP125 Tim.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	106796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jse_Img_1023.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	106860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jse_Img_1024.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	106861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jse_Img_1025.jpg 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	106862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jse_Lance-Robert.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	106863  

Thread Information