Thread: 2 days and 2000 odd kays later!

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries

2 days and 2000 odd kays later!

Well, it has been a while since I have been on a pootling tour worthy enough for me to write up (I go on other long sojourns, but that is another matter entirely!)

These last few months I have been champing at the bit, my persona has been cranky and I have felt a very distinct sense of dis-ease ... I worked it out ... my milage and pootling form has been down of late!

Damn school and trying to edjumacate the inmates has eaten into my riding time!

So ... now its the school hols, I decided to make up for it ...

Tuesday 30th

Randomly decided to ride somewhere, since it was 10am I felt like brunch and rode to Tauranga ... txtd DMNTD I was in the area and felt like seeing where he worked, blardy hell ... too long for reply so I fuel up and head off to Rotovegas ... from there worked around to Opotiki ... and then decided to do the East Cape, right around to Tologa Bay and into Gizzy ... by this time night had fallen and rain started to add its charm to night riding (lucky I had a rain suit!)

Ran out of gas after doing the twisties from Gisborne to god knows where, but sputtered to a stop outside a random house, I ask the kind people inside for some spare gas and whaddya know! 10 more litres of go-gas and I'm on the move again (Thanks to that man called Dan, when I'm out that way again, I'll make sure to drop in again to say thanks once more! )

I think it was where you can make the choice to go North or South ... I decided to head back up North and via Taupo and then onto a warm beckoning bed ... which I reached at 3.30am ... 1200km on the trot ... I missed that feeling of just riding for ridings sake!

Total Bikes seen : 2
    Total Milage : 1200km (give or take)

Route taken :

SH22 to Ngaruawahia
    Ngaruawahia to Raglan
    Raglan to the 'Tron
    'Tron to Tauranga
    Tauranga to Rotovegas
    Rotovegas to Opotiki
    Opotiki to Tologa Bay
    Tologa Bay to Gisborne
    Gisborne to Taupo (I think I ran out of gas somewhere here )
    Taupo to Tokoroa
    Tokoroa to Tirau
    Tirau to Cambridge
    Cambridge to 'Tron
    'Tron to warm beddy bye byes ...

In general the cagers in the East Cape are a good bunch, they let you go by and they also drive bloody well (didn't see a single one cut over the white line o'doom), roads are in great condition and the people are friendly (the people at Tologa bay had a few questions about the Big Ol'Hornet!) ... top marks to Dan who saved me from pushing the ride to a servo (turns out I had run out 5 minutes to a town with a servo in it )
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    Blog Entries

Part II of the merry pootler

Today (Friday 3rd), since I thought that I had down the East coast, I thought I better pay a visit to the West Coast! 9.30am start and down to New Plymouth via the back road to Huntly and no traffic Headed to New Plymouth and had lunch there (udon noodle soup), shot off around the mountain doing the inland road (Carrington Rd) ... nice and twisty!

Was a bit cloudy so the top of the mountain was lost in white stuff, headed up and around and got to Stratford and decided to do the Forgotten Highway ... marvellous stuff! Reminded me of SH22 with all the patches of bad gravel, fallen away sections Nary a soul but me and my Big Ol'Hornet prowling the black stuff, glorious views of rugged hills and the stark contrast of the vegetation with the blue of the sky. Nice.

Nice ride through the forest to the Whangaporoa Hotel and nary another biker to be seen ... only the 1 at the very end as I was going to Tamaranui heading down that way! Quick blat back to home and thinking "bugger ... really do need to take a camera with me!"

Total bikes seen today : 3
    Total Milage : 836km (not nearly enough!)

Route Taken :

South Auckland (Takanini) to Rangiriri
    Rangirir to Ngaruawahia
    Ngaruawahia to Pirongia
    Pirongia to Otorohanga
    Otorohanga to Te Kuiti
    Te Kuiti to Piopio and through the Awakino
    Awakino to New Plymouth (stop for lunch)
    New Plymouth through Vogeltown down Carrington Rd around Mt Taranaki
    End up in Stratford
    Stratford to Whangamomona
    Whangamomona to Taumarunui (got a reserve fuel light on at this stage with 40km to a servo! )
    Taumarunui to Te Kuiti
    Te Kuiti to Otorohanga
    Otorohanga to Pirongia to Ngaruawahia blah blah
    Now currently trying to piece this out at home from my mapbook!

I guess this is making up for some of that lost pootling time! And of course reading about other ride reports and trips always gets me hankering fer a little ol'trip meself

In general, the cagers were well behaved, only the occasional tosser who likes to take cut the corners and straddle the centre line Hardly any other bikers to be seen, weather was good, cloudy around Mt Taranaki and started to get a bit damp towards the end. Kudos to anyone who reads to the end of this dribble!

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    Tuesday 14th
    Huh? Great ride, but when were you talking about?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Huh? Great ride, but when were you talking about?
    looking at the wrong part of the calendar losing me marbles I am matey! (or is that a cog loose? Or bats in the belfry ...)

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Well you've still got next week on holiday too so go for it, but by the 14th you'll be back with your inmates eh .
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness
    Might have to go for a pootle or two this weekend. Bit out of practice so they might not be quite as long as yours
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind" - Aristotle

Bike
    F-18,Ginny and #66
    Blog Entries
    way to go GiJoe
    Don't Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly !!!

Hey Alan, Alan, Alan....

Thread Information