Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TL1000S shock upgrade/replacement

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Recently converted from flogged rear (read: 85,000k's) to ohlins, very noticable difference... alot less squat and it actually absorbs bumps, not pogo sticking.

However, its made me want to perfect the front to match

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Recently converted from flogged rear (read: 85,000k's) to ohlins, very noticable difference... alot less squat and it actually absorbs bumps, not pogo sticking.

We have a cure for that as well, under $1000. !!!!

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    We have a cure for that as well, under $1000. !!!!
    What does the grand buy ya? Since sorting the Busa brakes on the TL i am now dealing with the thing trying to launch me over the bars,its diving for Africa even under mild braking.$1000 seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post

You really need to check the spring unit,the problem with it is the minimal overlap at the shaft.
    That being the reason for the excess deflection even when new,once it starts to bind even the Ohlins will be affected (imo)
    You also need (if you havn't already) to check the rocker for the spring unit,i also think the alignment is wrong so the rocker can wear badly at the upper outboard point (The shim will wear into the alloy until flush)
    All linkage bearings need to be checked as soon as 20000kms given the minimal lubrication from the factory.
    The swingarm bearings can also be increased to 25mm rollers.

I went to Timkens with new stock sleeves..fwiw

THE TLR fork is better but as i found as far back as 2003,the TLS forks rebound needles among other things need replacing,the tolerance at the needles is excessive.
    You are fairly stuck with the stock fork even with a 25mm cartridge without mods.
    I would even go as far as saying dump them in favour of GSXR750 Showa's with 50mm/55mm OD legs which fit the TL triple clamps.
    I have every intention of dumping the Kayaba's (2001 and 2006 GSXR1000) i have on both TL's and going for a Showa fork with either Ohlins or Traxxion internals,that is for the future when i get back to NZ.

Drastic but i ended up making a custom spring unit,the shaft was supposed to go to the US for DLC but i never got around to it.

then inverting the Ohlins to get some heat away from it.

It is an old bike now but still worth spending some cash on. (the reality is something like a modern GSXR750 would be an eye opener compared to the TL,depends what floats your boat i guess.)
    There are a ton of things to get the TL up to speed.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    I forgot about this pic,yes it is a TL1000S (the black one)
    At that stage the brackets were only prototypes,the R/H one in the end was machined from 30mm billet.
    Got to love the TL.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    What does the grand buy ya? Since sorting the Busa brakes on the TL i am now dealing with the thing trying to launch me over the bars,its diving for Africa even under mild braking.$1000 seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    High flow base compression pistons with a very specific preloading stack that is not available off the net as a generic spec. Revalving of the stock rebound pistons and a subtle but effective mod to the mid valve checkplate system. Linear wind springs with spacers. New seals and Ohlins wide temperature range oil. Bushings extra if flogged out. The ride height control and pitch control under brakes is much much improved, but the standout improvement is much much better compliance over nasty square edge bumps that our roads serve up regularly. That gives you much more freedom to choose the corner lines you actually want with much less preoccupation to avoid those otherwise chassis de-stabilising bumps. In fact you find yourself aiming for the bumps because they become a joy to ride over!
    For the record we have done in excess of 100 sets of forks with this specific mod, including many Ohlins road and track forks. The improvement that is attained is very real.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    I forgot about this pic,yes it is a TL1000S (the black one)
    At that stage the brackets were only prototypes,the R/H one in the end was machined from 30mm billet.
    Got to love the TL.

All good stuff. Given that these bikes are getting adavnced in years and distance all of the above re bushings etc makes perfect sense. And yes that oem side spring support damper is a horrible piece and fails as early as 40,000 ks for the reasons stated. I had at one stage considered making these side units but the market is now so small that its not commercially viable. Ohlins sales for dampers are now a replacement for the aging stock units. Ohlins stock of these is running out and they will not reproduce once exhausted, simply because of diminishing worldwide demand. Currently I have one in stock for TL1000S and likely wont replace it when sold.
    Apples for apples or servicable bushings for servicable bushings that standard rotary damper is a nasty, horrible high friction damper that has conspired to accelerate a high frequency of tyre sales over the last decade for TL1000S / R. Customers started buying Ohlins shocks for these bikes very early into their life and long before older age / higher mileage wear issues started rearing their head. Many of these customers reported that after fitting an Ohjlins damper rear tyre life almost doubled.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    That spring guide and damper mounting plates set up is a work of art, TLDV8!
    I reckon if you could produce enough of them to make it viable for you, you would have a ready market for them. That solution of yours goes a long way to remedying the Achilles heal of the TLS.
    I'm bloody impressed
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    That spring guide and damper mounting plates set up is a work of art, TLDV8!
    I reckon if you could produce enough of them to make it viable for you, you would have a ready market for them. That solution of yours goes a long way to remedying the Achilles heal of the TLS.
    I'm bloody impressed
    Honestly, the world market is now no longer big enough, especially given that many of these will no longer be on the road. in practice many may indeed express enthusiasm but when it comes to the crunch its a different reality.Thats the reality of business.

Bike
    98 tl1000s
    will the bike be confidence inspiring? will it be $1600 bucksish of woo hoo? or boo hoo?.
    if i get the right advice/idea i'll do it.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ric007 View Post
    will the bike be confidence inspiring? will it be $1600 bucksish of woo hoo? or boo hoo?.
    if i get the right advice/idea i'll do it.
    NIGHT AND DAY BETTER and its not as expensive as $1600 ( pm me ) We have a solid reputation of selling this product and on this model it makes a huge difference. Total sincerity in saying this and dozens of very happy customers attest to the improvement.

Bike
    2000 Honda VTR1000, 2010 Daytona 675
    If you were keeping a bike such as the TL1000S / R ,VTR1000 etc that have terrible rear suspension youd recover the cost of a quality replacement rear shock very quickly by saving on too frequent tyre replacement. Plus your spine wouldnt trouble you so much later in life!
    Having just purchased a 2000 VTR1000 being my first bike in 25yrs (my last bike was a Honda 350/4), I am intriqued by your comment re the VTR having a terrible rear suspension. Very hard for me to judge for 1) major upgrade to my 350/4 and 2) only just getting used to the thrill of riding again and no where near bike limit.

Therefore, can you please give me an insight into the VTR rear end and options that are a must and ones nice to do.

Cheers
    Dale

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by stormy1 View Post
    Having just purchased a 2000 VTR1000 being my first bike in 25yrs (my last bike was a Honda 350/4), I am intriqued by your comment re the VTR having a terrible rear suspension. Very hard for me to judge for 1) major upgrade to my 350/4 and 2) only just getting used to the thrill of riding again and no where near bike limit.

Therefore, can you please give me an insight into the VTR rear end and options that are a must and ones nice to do.

Cheers
    Dale
    The issues are broadly similiar to TL1000S, harsh ride, poor mechanical grip and short tyre life. You dont realise just how bad it is until you fit a shock absorber that actually works properly. PM me and I will give you some options.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    In fact you find yourself aiming for the bumps because they become a joy to ride over!
    Been there, that :-)

Thread Information