Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TL1000S shock upgrade/replacement

Bike
    98 tl1000s

TL1000S shock upgrade/replacement

Ok i've got the cash,now i'm wondering if i should bother i've replaced the spring with a factory replacement, and i know the shock is stuffed, how much difference would a wp or a ohlins actually make? HUGE? or not so.is there anybody bout cantabury who has a upgraded suspension that would let me have a "feel"? if you know what i mean.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ric007 View Post
    Ok i've got the cash,now i'm wondering if i should bother i've replaced the spring with a factory replacement, and i know the shock is stuffed, how much difference would a wp or a ohlins actually make? HUGE? or not so.is there anybody bout cantabury who has a upgraded suspension that would let me have a "feel"? if you know what i mean.
    Ohlins currently ex stock, have sold dozens of these and the difference is way better than you expect. More grip, better ride height control, MUCH more ride comfort and nearly double the tyre life. Also these are NOT emulsion shocks.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    I am down the track a bit,i dont have an Ohlins (would have if i could have afforded it at the time) but have a Hagon damper unit which is without doubt way better than the dumper that was on there.If as you say you have the cash then grab an Ohlins.The other alternative would have been a Bitubo which is a Damper/spring unit combined but seems pointless after you have bought a new spring unit.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    B12
    stock suspension setup works quite well.

get some heat tape on the rear header to reduce the heat on the rotary dampener.

I would suggest giving the forks to someone like mr Taylor for new springs though, as they are rather soft - and get worse over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    stock suspension setup works quite well.

get some heat tape on the rear header to reduce the heat on the rotary dampener.

I would suggest giving the forks to someone like mr Taylor for new springs though, as they are rather soft - and get worse over time.
    Given what you have just said in the first paragraph I have to question whether you have ridden a TL1000S with that high friction rotary damper removed and replaced with a high quality aftermarket damper that actually responds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In deference to the very ill informed tag at the bottom of the thread one would have to say that the stock rotary damper is in fact a rip off, in fact best ripped off. Facts, rather than emotive and stirring rubbish.

Bike
    B12
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Given what you have just said in the first paragraph I have to question whether you have ridden a TL1000S with that high friction rotary damper removed and replaced with a high quality aftermarket damper that actually responds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In deference to the very ill informed tag at the bottom of the thread one would have to say that the stock rotary damper is in fact a rip off, in fact best ripped off. Facts, rather than emotive and stirring rubbish.
    For the record, the tag wasnt me...

I used to hate the rear shock, but once is setup nice and hard, its not too much of a problem. The front end under braking became my main concern.

btw, can you pm me a sharp price for an ohlins dampener for a 03 cbr600rr
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    2007 XB12R. 2000 M900S
    this thread reminds me of my last bike, started spending money on it, got through a few grand and thought that it still needed this and that, and the other in duplicate.

i up-graded to get what i wanted in the end, and lost the money i had spent on the previous one when i sold it. buy that time i had realized that i would not ever really love the previous bike, regardless of how much i threw at it.

dont spend on the bike you have unless you really love it IMO.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by hospitalfood View Post
    this thread reminds me of my last bike, started spending money on it, got through a few grand and thought that it still needed this and that, and the other in duplicate.

i up-graded to get what i wanted in the end, and lost the money i had spent on the previous one when i sold it. buy that time i had realized that i would not ever really love the previous bike, regardless of how much i threw at it.

dont spend on the bike you have unless you really love it IMO.
    If you were keeping a bike such as the TL1000S / R ,VTR1000 etc that have terrible rear suspension youd recover the cost of a quality replacement rear shock very quickly by saving on too frequent tyre replacement. Plus your spine wouldnt trouble you so much later in life!

Bike
    None

I used to hate the rear shock, but once is setup nice and hard, its not too much of a problem. The front end under braking became my main concern.

btw, can you pm me a sharp price for an ohlins dampener for a 03 cbr600rr
    Cheers for that. Whoever it was is gutless, lurking in the shadows, not telling the world who he / she is and not substaniating with sound reasoning. I am happy to provide sound reasons to someone who in turn can provide reasonable questions, as opposed to an unsubstantiated accusation.

Part ( but not all ) of the reason for front end dive on the TL is imbalance, overdamped rear end, soft fork springing, soft midvalve.

Will do re that damper.

Bike
    Nor me fwiw.Though happy with what i have i certainly wouldnt object to receiving an Ohlins come xmas day(if any of my family are reading this)

Bike
    Fwiw pics of an Ohlins,Wilbers and a hagon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ohlins1 (Medium) (Small).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	107505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0695 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	107506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture20175 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	107507  

Bike
    B12
    Its quite funny though, Suzuki split the spring and the dampener to retain a short(ish) wheelbase with a long engine, yet the aftermarket guys seem to have no trouble making 'conventional' shocks fit...

Bike
    The spring on the Wilbers is only a helper spring (so i am told) and you still retain the spring on a stick.The Bitubo unit by all accounts is very good and for the life of me ive never understood why Suzuki couldnt have done one.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    for the life of me ive never understood why Suzuki couldnt have done one.
    Ain't that the truth! Even from new, the bushings in the spring guide seemed like they were buggered! And no two of those rotary dampers perform the same.
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    Ain't that the truth! Even from new, the bushings in the spring guide seemed like they were buggered! And no two of those rotary dampers perform the same.
    Mine performs well as a doorstop.

Thread Information