Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My craptastical GN250 tyres (aka omg lots of tyre questions)

Bike
    THE XS is GONE, long live the across
    Blog Entries
    yah, if you have your bike there, and a phone, you can normally just give them a call, and tell them what your tyres are, and your bike.

Or alternatively, its often written on the tyres the maximum pressure.

I know for my one, when my mate who knows stuff bout bikes gave em a call, i got 35 front, 38 back

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Real_Wolf View Post
    Or alternatively, its often written on the tyres the maximum pressure.
    Ignore what the walls say, they usually state the maximum pressure the tyre can handle, not what the bike should run, to obtain these look in the handbook/manual/justfuckinggoogleit

Question is, do the cast gn rims run tubes or not... of course all mine do (being wire wheels)

I called 28 32 off the top of my head, might've been in my manual, at any rate it handles fine on those

Bike
    2004 D-TRACKER, 1997 DT230 LANZA
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Ignore what the walls say, they usually state the maximum pressure the tyre can handle, not what the bike should run, to obtain these look in the handbook/manual/justfuckinggoogleit

Question is, do the cast gn rims run tubes or not... of course all mine do (being wire wheels)

I called 28 32 off the top of my head, might've been in my manual, at any rate it handles fine on those
    So does that mean 25 29(from the book) is ok???? Or I have to call guys at Cycletreads to check? It's cast rim...
    Super Sports Commuter=Super Cub90!!

Land Speed Record holder of stock engine GN250 in NZ 140km/h
    Join The mighty GN250

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250 2009
    I did try - http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Apparently google now thinks this is the most relevant thread

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by BANZAI View Post
    So does that mean 25 29(from the book) is ok???? Or I have to call guys at Cycletreads to check? It's cast rim...
    I dont know, i have spoked rims

I tend to use stock pressures, and make slight deviations from them to find what i like, so starting on 25 29, then maybe increasing slightly to see how it feels, returning if im not liking it. More often than not the guys at cycletreads will just chuck you a figure of what they think it should roughly be (typical would be 28 32 for many), and will work at, its not a scientifically proven figure, just one that'll keep you from having flat tyres

It should also be noted that Fronts are not necessarily less than Rears, the tl is recommended stock 36 36. Others may be higher on the front

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    I ran 28 32 when I had my GN and it was a LOT better than anything lower.

Bike
    I'm gonna ask you guys a n00by tyre questions as well then

So, if I change the tyre pressure, would "I" be able to feel the difference?
    What sort of difference am I looking for? And what is suppose to be the good tyre pressure?(Like if the handling is better in this way, it should be the right etc)

To do tyre pressure setting it's best to take bike out to open road and ride for about 5mins then check the tyre pressure. Also check the warmth of tyre and if it's too hot, pressure is too high, if it's too cold pressure is too low isn't it?

Btw I think rear got tube and front is not.

Join The mighty GN250

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    I'm gonna ask you guys a n00by tyre questions as well then

So, if I change the tyre pressure, would "I" be able to feel the difference?
    What sort of difference am I looking for? And what is suppose to be the good tyre pressure?(Like if the handling is better in this way, it should be the right etc)

To do tyre pressure setting it's best to take bike out to open road and ride for about 5mins then check the tyre pressure. Also check the warmth of tyre and if it's too hot, pressure is too high, if it's too cold pressure is too low isn't it?

Btw I think rear got tube and front is not.
    You should check your tyre pressures when they are cold as gas expands when it heats up. I think the specified pressures for tyres are for when they're cold.

From my experience you definitely notice a change in tyre pressure. Even by adjusted the pressures by 1psi I ride away with the bike feeling completely different. If you're running on those low pressures now, pump them to 28-32 and I bet you'll ride away saying "shit this is niiice and I'm going way faster!!!".

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Slow and sluggish turning for one, excessive flex when cornering, and bottoming out when curbing... It will also accelerate wear

Quote Originally Posted by Pirelli website
    It is important to always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently (i.e. once a week). Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, they seldom remember to check tyre pressures. Correct tyre pressure, however, is critical for safe handling. Over-inflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the contact of the tyre with the road. Under-inflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to "wander." Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly.

You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. The manufacturer's information is the minimum values only. With luggage or with a second rider the rear tyre needs an extra 0.2 bar, and for high speed riding the pressure of the front tyre should also be increased by 0.2 bar.
    Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off-road (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.
    Of course some run lower for a reason (e.g. racers)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingrob View Post
    You should check your tyre pressures when they are cold as gas expands when it heats up. I think the specified pressures for tyres are for when they're cold.
    Yea, what I'm saying is gtg for ride and see if the tyres too hot or too cold to check if it's the right pressure for you and your tyre.

I think I heard that in Wednesday practice night at Albany.

Slow and sluggish turning for one, excessive flex when cornering, and bottoming out when curbing... It will also accelerate wear

of course some run lower for a reason (e.g. racers)
    Thanks for the info!

Join The mighty GN250

Bike
    Too many to count
    low pressure means you waste power flexing rubber, handling suffers, BUT tyres warm up faster and have moar contact area with road (which means lots of wear too)

high pressure gives rigid tyres with lower rolling resistance, sharper handling, BUT you get less contact area, tyres are harder to warm, and things are a bit more 'skittish' if they're pumped right up and you encounter a less than ideal surface. i find on my sprotsbike i get alot more foad feel back too (ie, can feel every little stone/vibration going up through the forks)

for dirtbikes, hard tyre for hard ground and soft tyre for soft ground. easy

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 250 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingrob View Post
    From my experience you definitely notice a change in tyre pressure.
    Yeah totally, mine were pretty low ;_; and after i fixed it up, felt much more solid and secure on the road

Bike
    28 32 is the way to go! It does make huge difference

Blings awarded.

Join The mighty GN250

Bike
    S1000RR
    28 32 is the way to go! It does make huge difference

Blings awarded.
    And burnout that rear and get the matching CITY DEMON too!!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    And burnout that rear and get the matching CITY DEMON too!!
    Can you pay me for new sets? I'll do Stoppie/Burnout/Wheelie/drift to waste my tyre

Join The mighty GN250

Thread Information