Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FXR/GSXR rear wheel conversion?

Bike
    I just lost count

FXR/GSXR rear wheel conversion?

Ok quick question cause I am pretty sure a few of you out there have done this.

Shot down the road to SAECO today to get the bearings that would fit the GSXR rim and the FXR axle to be told they dont make the larger bearing I need, 42mm OD, 17mm ID.

Any one else have this issue? And what did you do to solve it?

Will try some other places but the next race meeting is sneaking up on me and I wouldnt be suprised if I got the same answer rom some other suppliers.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    SV1000, ZX6R, FZR400, CBR250,FXR150

Ask John Connor

Pumba, give john connor a call, I think it was him that fitted the gsxr wheels to Time Frasers bike.

Failing that, I just had the same problem with the Delta. I got the bearing to fit the axle, making sure it was a bigger o/d than the Hub (not smaller) Then had the whell machined out to take the bearing. Cost me $85 including the bearings.

Oh, and by the way don't be limited to what Saeco has to offer. There are many bearing suppliers around. Especially in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Ok quick question cause I am pretty sure a few of you out there have done this.

Shot down the road to SAECO today to get the bearings that would fit the GSXR rim and the FXR axle to be told they dont make the larger bearing I need, 42mm OD, 17mm ID.

Any one else have this issue? And what did you do to solve it?

Will try some other places but the next race meeting is sneaking up on me and I wouldnt be suprised if I got the same answer rom some other suppliers.

Bike
    BSA A10
    I had my wheel machined, but if you pm Buddha#81 he found a bearing somewhere that was the right size
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I had my wheel machined, but if you pm Buddha#81 he found a bearing somewhere that was the right size
    Wilson Bro's here in Christchurch found me a open automotive styled (gearbox, no seals for oil lubed) bearing (17mm/42mm) and i machined the spacer with a step to accept a standard seal (21/42mm from memory)to run outside the bearing to protect it, I then machined 12mm off the disc carrier. The MotoFXR sprocket carrier is used.....and you're good to go.

I got sick of trying to find someone to take the 12mm off the rim for the brake disc so I jammed it in the lathe at work with the three jaw chuck in the rubber coush drive recess's and spun it down myself..........I manage to get it right but you would stuff the wheel if it goes wrong or have a pulsing rear brake.

PM me if you have any questions.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Thanks guys, I have been out in the shed since I got home form work tonight looking at different ways that it could be done.

Have had a talk with the old man who has a greater selection of tools to me and access to a lathe so I think a trip to pay him a visit this weekend may be in order.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    looks like you are getting the bike sorted
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckets4Me View Post
    looks like you are getting the bike sorted
    Yea probally a bit quicker than I intended, just need to get the rider sorted now and it would be all good

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    A tip for you then

DONT loie down on the track

pitty I dont listen to myself to much
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    I just lost count
    A tip for you then

DONT loie down on the track

pitty I dont listen to myself to much
    Yea, really messes with your lap times.

Another lesson I learnt last meet,

Slicks are good, but they still cant handle a handfull of front brake while going round a corner, while being on one of those damm painted concrete ripple strips

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Hey want to throw somthing out there, has any one considered swaping the swingarms between the GSXR and and the FXR. I need to make a few more measurements to see if it may work, but I think it may be close(ish)

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Hey want to throw somthing out there, has any one considered swaping the swingarms between the GSXR and and the FXR.
    Yes, I considered it when I had my FXR but didn't think there would be much advantage
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    other than not having to find bearing you cant seem to find

it's a different way of getting around the problem of making the rear weel fit the fxr frame
    just make the swingarm fit instead

Bike
    I just lost count
    it's a different way of getting around the problem of making the rear weel fit the fxr frame
    just make the swingarm fit instead
    Yea that was basicly my thought in quite moment of contemplation in the shed last night

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    watever you do you have 1 more meating before the 2 hour

cant belive it's been a year already

Bike
    I just lost count
    Well after a bit of effort on the weekend I managed to get it all fitted up, will have to take some pictures tonight.

In the end we (yes many minds make lighter work) decide to use the GSXR axle and rear bake caliper. We turned down some spacers to beef up the GSXR axle where it passed through the FXR swing arm, and machied about 3mm off the rear caliper mount, a few spacers on the axle to make up for it being slightly longer (will cut this down eventually but ran out of time on the weekend) and then welded a lug on to the botom of the swingarm for the caliper to bolt to to stop rotation movement.

Looking at what we had avaliable we decided this was the best way cause it didnt invovle any machining on the wheel, therfore reducing the chance of it all turning to shit.

Pumba is a wise man.

Thread Information