Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastic welding. What's the drill?

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapp View Post
    I have a hot air plastic welder and I'm b***ed if I can get it to work proper it just makes a mess. But every so offen i have another go so must get the hang of it soon.
    are you getting it too hot???
    for abs it shouldent bubble
    are you using a welding tip?
    2/3/4mm welding rod?
    if you arnet using a tip you will need much more practice ill try and get a video this week so you all can see
    free hand and with a tip

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    blackbird
    that not a bad home effort!!!

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

Bike
    Walking

So the 'Mek' brakes down the abs to a pliable state? then in a hour or so it re-sets again?

Where would one buy this mek( methyl ethyol ketone) from?

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Racey Rider View Post

So the 'Mek' brakes down the abs to a pliable state? then in a hour or so it re-sets again?

try repco
    yes its just like glue but better coz you are using the same plastic, use a little bit at a time and it will bond great !!!
    u can thin it out or keep it thick

Bike
    Sold

You need to be BLOODY careful with MEK. Get it in your eye and your sight is gone for good. Look at the MSDS sheet here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m4628.htm and then take the proper precautions if you still plan to go ahead. MEKP (the peroxide derivative) is even more harmful.

Bike
    suzuki GS500

plastic welding solvent

Some plastic model glues are actually a solvent not sure if its MEK
    they are handy if you only want a small amount o9r can be liberated from yorr brother or sons stuff
    Cheers
    The project bike builders motto: The perfect is the enemy of the good

GS 500 page includes wiki : http://www.gstwin.com/

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Coat hangers. And MEK. This is looking promising. Coat hangers I can get (may have to sleep on the couch for a week, but what is life without sacrifice). And once upon a time I practically bathed in MEK every day. Completely harmless. Comparatively.So, these $500 hot air kits? Do they do anything better than a soldering iron (I have a soldering gun with some funny flat tips, maybe that';s what they're for).?

I think this may be a starter, time I learned some new skills.

And , on reflection, it occurs to me that a wander along the ditches on SH22 should provide more than sufficient scrap plastic for filler purposes. One afternoon after Boomer's been out and one could garner enough for a lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Go for it Ixion.

I've used super glue and black shoe polish to repair cracked plack plastic instrument consols.

Bike
    Trumph Trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    are you getting it too hot???
    for abs it shouldent bubble
    are you using a welding tip?
    2/3/4mm welding rod?
    if you arnet using a tip you will need much more practice ill try and get a video this week so you all can see
    free hand and with a tip
    Cheers for that will buy you a beer or six when I get down south.
    To do something well is so worth while that to die trying to it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of a life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel life is not measured in achievement, not in years alone. BRUCE MCLAREN

Bike
    Bikes!

What out for MEK, it's very aggressive, keep it away from your body, especially the eyes or any wounds you may have.

Bike
    Oh, by the way it's also insanely inflammable. And the vapour will travel for an amazing distance to find an ignition source. Good stuff.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    Mark_M Plastics repair - Glenfield, Auckland 09-443 4063

http://yellow.co.nz/whitepages/Glenf...94514_BUS.html

Had 2 jobs done there and been very happy with job and price.

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    GSXR450
    Just send all your plastic welding to me in New Plymouth mate, I employ a man here to do it, WHO IS VERY VERY GOOD and fussy, Brilliant work man ship

There are more tricks to plastic welding proffessionaly, than most NON plasticwelders know about.

Gauranteed quality work man ship, fo the price of a Courier
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Perhaps I should (re)emphasise that my present interest is not fostered by any actual need.

I do not have any plastics that NEED to be welded or replaced.

I have however inherited some "came along with" plastic bits that "would be OK to use if that big crack was welded up". Keeping a spare unusable panel on the wall is somewhat pointless. Keeping a welded up and usable at need panel is more sensible.

Since I have no actual need, I cannot justify paying someone.

If I were actually attempting to repair a damaged bike I would consider farming the task out.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Perhaps I should (re)emphasise that my present interest is not fostered by any actual need.

I do not have any plastics that NEED to be welded or replaced.

I have however inherited some "came along with" plastic bits that "would be OK to use if that big crack was welded up". Keeping a spare unusable panel on the wall is somewhat pointless. Keeping a welded up and usable at need panel is more sensible.

Since I have no actual need, I cannot justify paying someone.

If I were actually attempting to repair a damaged bike I would consider farming the task out.

Good on ya, I am just a Parasite looking for a way to make a customer happy, and me some money if possible.
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Thread Information