Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motard fuel range/extension

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    If you are getting the wings, the install notes specifically say that using an akrapovic map is fine

No insert, and they are seriously loud, I took my inserts out, and wanted to put them back in, except the screws had fallen into the endcaps (don't ask, a lot of foul language was duly dispatched). I had to take the pipes off to get the bolts back, but the inserts won't come out again.

The bike will respond better without inserts, breathes better, more power etc, but it makes you a mad hooligan through traffic (don't ask... again )
    I lost interest in the twin can setup after seeing the single SC-Project one... Have a look at my profile pic, that's the one I want, lol...

Yeah, I doubt I'll be riding it without inserts. I use the bike to work and do shifts, so don't really want to be making a lot of noise in the dead of night... Or first thing in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Drider87 View Post
    did a bit of research and am pretty impressed with the sort of motards available but theyre pretty expensive , dunno if you can get a motard within under 10k lol. The ktm 690 is sexy especiially the prestige model..yum. A workmate has a 990 superduke with akraprovic pipes...you can hear it from miles away and it'll make you a man standing next to it haha.
    Yeah, umm, sorry... We kind of jacked your thread, lol....

So, you still looking at the Husky? It is a good deal for 10k...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    did a bit of research and am pretty impressed with the sort of motards available but theyre pretty expensive ,
    yes, apologies for diverting the thread a bit.

In terms of expense, it really depends what you are comparing to. Lets take the mid bikes. 600cc supersport vs 690sm (because its being mentioned). Don't know exact numbers, but they probably cost very similar amounts.

With the 600, tons have 'em, fairings, tons of bits you can buy for them. Suspension and brakes are generic jap stuff. Now the katoom... becoming popular (dammit) but still relatively unknown. Brakes and suspension are brembo and WP, and not the bottom of the barrel stuff either. Add that cost onto a 600, and its suddenly costing a whole lot more, and its not factory supported.

Down side of euro stuff, aftermarket is comparatively harder to come by, as the bikes are not as widely sold. Downside of this is directly aimed at the original point of the thread. Parts for jap bikes are going to be much more ready to come by. ie, for my bike, gel seat is still in R&D. One manufacturer may have now released a larger tank, a few weeks ago, nothing was available.

Now, you could look at a dr650, motard wheels etc, and its going to cost $10k or less (you could even get them already motarded). Once again, like any category of bike, the cheaper it is, the less "nice" bits you get, but thats how it goes. I see you have a srv250, so perhaps the extras on a KTM might not be needed?

Personally, I dropped from a 04 zx10, didn't want to drop too much power (but expected to). Definitely appreciate the higher quality suspension and brakes, and put it to the test regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    Haha no worries bout jacking the thread, I was reading with interest lol. Ideally 8k would be max, that way new gear can be had to and other bits and pieces.

How have you guys found your motards on gravel tracks and other off road bits.

Never seen a motarded dr650 before! I will do a search around to find one. My srv250 is slow but I love her so, she is more akin to an old school naked/trail with road tires, nice and upright with mx bars. I throw her aorund like a motard but since she is not a motard it's not as fun .

Another problem is I want to tour, and a motard might not be the best for touring. It's a difficut decision.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Another problem is I want to tour, and a motard might not be the best for touring. It's a difficut decision.
    Well, re pm, you know what I have. Manual actually says it is not for off road... but no harm with gravel roads aye? Its not a dirt bike, and on the heavy side, but the dual purpose tyres are very capable, ie, its fine to ride it on dirt tracks, as long as you don't think its a dirt bike.

When you say tour, what have you in mind? I like mine being very cross purpose, around town, country blats, longer distance etc. I did the Grand Challenge on it, which involved 1600km within 24 hours (yes, my arse hurt) and it did it fine. Comfort seat wise was an issue tho.

If you can put up with the lack of wind protection (some sort of screen would be recommended) it should otherwise do it fine, and you still have a bike that loves heading into twisty bits of roads.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian

Mine has been on Gravel, dirt, 4wd tracks, over roundabouts and down stairs It's fine! Easy to control and fun!

The reason I settled on the KTM690 was because I need a bike that'll do everything, but without TOO much of a compromise.
    Performance had to be right up there particularly in the brakes and suspension department.
    Engine had to be pokey. It's certainly not the most powerful thing out there, but it FEELS like its getting along, you can thrash it and it's great!
    Had to have a reasonable seat. The 690 actually has a reasonable seat on it, no trouble getting a few hundred K out of it (haven't done further than a coro loop so far).
    Had to be able to carry luggage. Got the KTM tankbag with it which is pretty cool (plastic gas tank and funny shape means other ones dont really fit). Ventura have just put out a pack rack for it which I got the other day. Really tidy job and good fit! So now I can fit plenty of luggage and tent etc for adventuring.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Ventura have just put out a pack rack for it which I got the other day. Really tidy job and good fit! So now I can fit plenty of luggage and tent etc for adventuring.
    noooob, givi is the one true way for carrying luggage!

ok... grumble mutter, I can only do a top box at the mo, but pannier racks are currently being schemed

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    noooob, givi is the one true way for carrying luggage!

ok... grumble mutter, I can only do a top box at the mo, but pannier racks are currently being schemed
    'cept my bike is too skinny to have an enormous top box on it!

Prob look fine on yours, chubby chaser.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    'cept my bike is too skinny to have an enormous top box on it!

Prob look fine on yours, chubby chaser.
    gyah... walked into that one like a blind man

Bike
    B12
    ive hit reserve after a mere 110kms on the drz
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Yeah but, what were you doing to get it? Lol....

Bike
    '04 300 EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    crikey! that's how many ks the front tyre did... the rear probably did double that!!
    http://picasaweb.google.com/kezzafish
    My pics of some trail rides and events in the lower north island
    And check out our commercial Photography site for any other photographic needs
    http://www.fishpattie.com

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    Quote Originally Posted by kezzafish View Post
    crikey! that's how many ks the front tyre did... the rear probably did double that!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I'm a bit slow... I never thought that far ahead.....

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
    Ask Mikkel (I think) about the Husky 610. He has a grey one.... He should be able to give some owners perspectives.....
    That's correct, it's a 2006 610sm. Mine's had an aftermarket muffler (Bill's pipes) fitted and has been rejetted - does about 18 km/l. I can get about 200 kms out of a tank and the fuel light usually comes on around the 160 km mark.

I believe that the '07 onwards are fuel injected - mine's got a big flatslide carby.

I may in days to come consider getting a camshaft replacement for it which should make it a bit more lively up top. But for the time being I'm having enough fun as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy
    The 610 is Huskys long ride, comfy, reliable version, so suppose the seat should be okay....
    Strike comfy and long ride - that said I'm planning to ride it to Nelson through the Rainbow Road tomorrow, I'll get back to you on how comfortable it is... It is however not a tourer by any definition of the word. Seat is pretty narrow but may be more comfy than the DRZ400 ones though. I've bought a pair of lycra bicycle shorts with padding today (oh the shame of it) to protect my assets over the weekend.

But yes, it's less highly-strung than the 450 and 550 motards. It's more of a work horse than a race motard. It's still fast, nimble and bloody good entertainment - just less maintenance. It's got shitloads of torque, will quite happily spin the rear up on a cold tyre (pilot sport) if I'm not careful.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
    I've bought a pair of lycra bicycle shorts with padding today (oh the shame of it) to protect my assets over the weekend.
    Have considered getting some of those. Fairly expensive though eh?

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Have considered getting some of those. Fairly expensive though eh?
    About $129 I think. If it allows me to sit down and enjoy my beer when I get to Nelson the price doesn't matter

It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Thread Information