Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear tyres:180 or 190? What's your preference?

Bike
    B12
    Im running a 190 on my 600 and its fine.

190/55 on the TL was nice.

180/55 on a 6'' rim isnt good. dont do it. 5.5'' rim is all good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    2018 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    I have some 55 profile "street compound" Conti Race Attacks in the shed waiting to go on this week.
    You'll love them - they are grouse tyres

http://sportbikerider.17.forumer.com
    the DEAD forum for politically incorrect Sportbike riders!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51 View Post
    as long as its a bridgestone you will have awesome grip!
    In the dry

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by naphazoline View Post
    i suppose i'm asking for too much,but are these a long wearing,good all round tyre?
    it's just that i do a lot of commuting on the bike(wet and dry weather) as well as longer rides,and don't fancy buying a new tyre every 2 months.
    cheers
    I started with 190/50 Pilot Sports - hated them. Went to 180/55 Pilot Road 2ct. Totally different experience. Smooth progressive tip all the way to the edge. Good grip all round. You can push these tyres fairly hard and they will behave. And the hard centre means you get to do lots of kms. Mine have done around 12,500 and they're good for another 3 or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Really? Why have I had a wonderful experience then?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    I don't know of any non-race tyres other than Pilot Power 2CTs that can be got in 190/55s? Correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Continental SportAttacks come in 190/55... very nice tyre, adequate in the wet, but not brilliant per se.

Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    If you had the cash you can try contisport attack. They seem to turn in pretty good too and seem to last more than 10,000km on my riding style.
    10k on sportattacks? Blimey, I never saw more than 6k, front or rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2013 Victory Hammer 8 Ball
    Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    The Michelin Pilot Power 2CT are dual compound tyres hard in the middle and soft on the side so they do last quite a bit. I put a set on my blade 2000km's ago and they still look good. The 2CT's in my opinion turns in faster than the Z6 and even M3 tyres.

If you had the cash you can try contisport attack. They seem to turn in pretty good too and seem to last more than 10,000km on my riding style. I have not had it on the 1krr but absolutely loved it on my 929 and 900.

Get your suspension done first and see how it rides.
    wow!!! that's exceptional mileage,but i don't think i'll be expecting that longer life,as i cover some rough roads fairly regularly.

Bike
    2013 Victory Hammer 8 Ball
    great info guys.some very useful stuff for me here.
    i've organised my mate to help me set up the suspension (hopefully tonight, all going to plan),so i can't wait to see how much of a difference that will make.after i do a few stints on it,then i'll have to make a choice on a rear tyre,as i'm fast wearing the Z6 out

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Really? Why have I had a wonderful experience then?
    *cough* cos yer slow?

I second all the points regarding Pilot Power 2CTs, the grip they offer is superb wet and dry, and if you're smooth on the gas and mostly just tiptoe around, you'll get close to 10,000km out of a set.

The 190/55s are bad for commuting and long slow highway type riding, though, they square off fast. I'd go with the 190/50s, they're tippy enough as they are, and about $70 cheaper too, if I recall correctly.

I love the Conti Race Attacks too, on a dry road, but I have my doubts about their performance in the wet - IMHO, they're a trackday and Sunday rides tyre, not an all year round handle-everything tyre like the PPs.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head there, Morcs! Distorts the carcase of the tyre too much, fitting a 180 to a 6"
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What brand & type of tyre are you running on the front?

If you are putting a sticky on on the rear you should have a sticky or sticker front.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    You can push these tyres fairly hard and they will behave. And the hard centre means you get to do lots of kms. Mine have done around 12,500 and they're good for another 3 or more.
    Fairly hard . Well Im a nana by Kb'r standards and I've never got that sort of mileage out my hardley on any sort of tyre I've tried. And I scare the living daylights out of the Hog club members on rides I've been on with them. I'd to get 15k out of a tyre.

P.S.I'm no expert but I feel more comfortable with the 180 over the 190 on the rear on my other bike and that's not backed up with any theory just the way I feel about it.
    Last edited by doc; 29th October 2008 at 19:07. Reason: p.s.

Bike
    nun
    You can push these tyres fairly hard and they will behave.
    Knowing everything is relative.. can you give me a mark out of 1-10 for hard riding.. 1 being JRandoms hard out.. 10 being sudeep. I'm guessing your 'hard' is a 1 .

The pp2ct are shite when pushed... even worse than teh standard pp's. They;re like riding on marsh mallows!

If you can get 190's in a Dunlop 209 RR i would; i cant comment on the conti's. The Dunlops have a wicked profile that literally drops the bike into a corner. (Until you get use to it, it feels like you've dropped teh bike).

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    1 being JRandoms hard out.
    You'd love a bit of my 'hard out' wouldn't you bro.

The pp2ct are shite when pushed... even worse than teh standard pp's. They;re like riding on marsh mallows!
    You're so full of it your eyes are brown.

If you can get 190's in a Dunlop 209 RR i would
    Super sexy stickies! But are they any good if you have to commute a lot on the bike too?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    P.S.I'm no expert but I feel more comfortable with the 180 over the 190 on the rear on my other bike and that's not backed up with any theory just the way I feel about it.

And that's all you need to know I know this - 190/50 is a tyre for high milage. The flatter profile gives more contact in the centre of the tyre which is good for durability, but turn in is not as good. 180/55 on the correct size rim will steer better than 190/55 on the same rim. the reason is that the 190/55 causes the contact patch to shift further to the inside on the bike, and steering is reduces because of that ( it shortens the lever on the gravitational axis blah blah blah). Racers use 190/55 (and 190/60) because of the better exit grip, but we spend quite a lot of time trying to get the bikes to steer with the bigger tyre.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
    And that's all you need to know I know this - 190/50 is a tyre for high milage. The flatter profile gives more contact in the centre of the tyre which is good for durability, but turn in is not as good. 180/55 on the correct size rim will steer better than 190/55 on the same rim. the reason is that the 190/55 causes the contact patch to shift further to the inside on the bike, and steering is reduces because of that ( it shortens the lever on the gravitational axis blah blah blah). Racers use 190/55 (and 190/60) because of the better exit grip, but we spend quite a lot of time trying to get the bikes to steer with the bigger tyre.
    Yeah that's what I meant.

Thread Information