Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast and Safe

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Baff
    Interesting that you haven't got Kwaka's on there... fwitened of em eh mate?
    na i respect kwaka's i used to have the old zxr750....as for all the other brands like Ducati, harley, etc it kinda goes without saying if ya get what i mean

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    A really good read...especially the bit from 30 years ago, that suggested improving the road surface has more effect on reducing accidents at accident blackspots than altering speed limits. I guess that's why in the UK they have shellac (the grippy stuff) at pedestrian crossings and dosgy junctions. Great for stoppies too
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    something that's pissed me off for a long time is people sat in the middle/right hand lane. In the UK where I learnt to drive, you get a good bollockin for doing that.
    a mate in Oz used to do that... I told him "oneday yer gunna get busted" and the next day he did
    failure to keep left... thats why the signs say "keep left unless passing" on freeways over there!

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja
    they have shellac (the grippy stuff) at pedestrian crossings and dosgy junctions. Great for stoppies too
    they have it here too (just started to make more of an apperance), but I don't think they put it there for us to do stoppies on - imagine poor granny as she crosses, seeing a bike end up coming at her

they've put some on the long left sweeper from Waterview onto the NW motorway. Knee-down material there..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakamin
    a mate in Oz used to do that... I told him "oneday yer gunna get busted" and the next day he did
    failure to keep left... thats why the signs say "keep left unless passing" on freeways over there!
    yeah, they have those signs, but only out in the sticks on the 1k passing strips.. they seem to think that's only where it applies, and the freeways don't matter.. w*kas

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Good old Alan Wilkinson, another of the "vocal minority".
    Long may he stick it to 'em.

Bike
    Black
    It's about time some of the people involved in the LTSA/LTNZ took this course offered by the University of Auckland:

STATS 150, "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics", is a new course about the uses, limitations, and abuses of statistical investigation and statistical information. It is concerned with the critical examination of the data-based arguments that pervade the media and public policy debate rather than hands-on data analysis.

Their misuse of statistics would make an Advertising Executive blush!

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacD
    Only cos they never thought of them first...or didn't get the account
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacD
    It's about time some of the people involved in the LTSA/LTNZ took this course offered by the University of Auckland:

STATS 150, "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics", is a new course about the uses, limitations, and abuses of statistical investigation and statistical information. It is concerned with the critical examination of the data-based arguments that pervade the media and public policy debate rather than hands-on data analysis.

only if someone can hold them accountable.... ermmm can it be considered as Fraud to mislead the public?

Bike
    WEAPON
    Quite a good read, they bring up some bloody good points too.
    Reminded me of an article i read in a C@# Magazine bout a cop in Q'land on the accidents around the Pacific Coast Highway, word has it it used to be a tight twisty up a mountian dow a mountain kinda of journey at times, now it has been replaced with a 3 lane highway (sumthang like that) and he stated how there were more crashes now than ever (more fatal too) not so much due to the high speeds but more so lack of concerntration, lets face it a boring long straight road it's pretty easy to fall off your game, but in refernce to the twisty old highway people would be more alert/switched on to driving with less crashes resluting.
    Made sense to me when i thought about it, even though i'd say my attention levels would be higher when riding a bike to say driving a car. If i can find the article i'll post it. i've got a wee bit of spare time to look around. (funny that)
    GSXR wiping the shit that is that Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki off the road since '85'

All you Gixxer riders check it out http://www.gixxerplanet.com/home/ind...referrerid=235
    For all your riding saftey gear needs and Remus Mufflers check out www.quasimoto.co.nz
    Anything Suzuki! Rock into Colemans and check it out www.colemans-suzuki.co.nz

Bike
    f
    He does have some points but its pretty easy to see that hes just as slanted as the LTSA he rips into. And when he then rips into the Police for arresting the partner of a burglar on totally legitimate grounds its pretty obvious what his agenda is.

Bit of a shame this guy couldn't put his energies into something a little bit more productive than spending his life bleating because he can't exceed the speed limit by more than 10kmh.

It is funny when he acts like some crusader backed by the majority of the Public ready to rebel against this 'evil' regime. I wonder if he read that recent survey in the herald that found that around 3/4 of the public actually support speed cameras (let alone cops enforcing the limit).

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    ...The other thing is the current technology of vehicles too. I've heard an intersting debate, which will go on for ever and ever. I ride a fairly newly designed bike (yeah, ok, it's been superseeded already) which has been tested to some incredable speeds of which mine, and many more bikes and cages are able to handle. In fact, it could be fair to argue that they're safer and more stable at higher speeds, so if vehicles are safer, faster and more reliable, then why aren't the speed limits reflected in this?...
    Maybe they could introduce a speed limit sticker to put on cars like they do on buses in Europe where the age and crash test results give a maximum top speed. I sure as hell don't want some fecker with leaf spring suspension and drum brakes all round hounding me through some twisties (when I'm in the family cage of course) at 110+. Woulda helped the guy in the 180B near Taupo the other day if he was limited to 90.

Q. Did you hear about the weather down there that day???
    A. It was raining Datsun cogs
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayy
    Maybe they could introduce a speed limit sticker to put on cars like they do on buses in Europe where the age and crash test results give a maximum top speed. I sure as hell don't want some fecker with leaf spring suspension and drum brakes all round hounding me through some twisties (when I'm in the family cage of course) at 110+. Woulda helped the guy in the 180B near Taupo the other day if he was limited to 90.

Q. Did you hear about the weather down there that day???
    A. It was raining Datsun cogs
    good idea, but a few flaws - given that everyone can have their own speed limits dependant on age and crash test results etc, that's going to make a very real problem of granny driving her '65 Triumph at 70kph while the rest of us 'younger ones' on new machines get to do 150kph (exageration, i know). That's still a risk of going 'legally' faster than everyone else.. I know you mention that it's done in Euroland, but can't see how it works.. I guess I'll have to search the web on this one..
    Plus, when have you seen a boy racer in a leaf srung-drum ridden Datsun ever obey the speed limit? The 100kph sign isn't going to stop them trying to keep up on the twisties. Stupid cage drivers should drive to their and the cars ability, else they will overcook it, and it'll be raining Datsun cogs (v funny btw..)

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Indo
    recent survey in the herald that found that around 3/4 of the public actually support speed cameras (let alone cops enforcing the limit).
    Not seen, but polls are like stats. Bullshit. Was poll conducted in an old folk's home for instance. Or were the questions worded in such a way as to be answerable the way the pollsters wanted the poll to reflect.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Indo
    I wonder if he read that recent survey in the herald that found that around 3/4 of the public actually support speed cameras (let alone cops enforcing the limit).
    It is fairly easy to write a survey question to provide the answer that you want. For example the question could have been: "Do you support the policing of speed limits through the use of technology such as speed cameras?" If you look carefully this is actually two questions. Do you support the policing of speed limits? Do you support the use of speed cameras? Even if you are not supportive of speed cameras you are likely to answer yes to the original question.

Thread Information