Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Wellington Rideouts - Where next?

Bike
    F800GS
    I'm sure there's some sort of copyright issues here, aye Nordie

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Royalties even

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaJim View Post
    I'd like to come along, but I've also been thinking about doing the 2008 Capital 1000K. Thats on the Saturday I think. If I do the 1000 I might not be able to move the next day
    err Jim - thats all on tar

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrostt500 View Post
    rock up with your bike, your riding gear, and a tank of gas, and check it out for your self, thats what I intend doing with my old beast.
    I might have but this weekend was allocated to 'Quality Time'. If I dissapeared on a trail ride on a 'Quality Time' weekend I'd wake up the next morning minus part of my anatomy....

So what was it like?

Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    I'm sure there's some sort of copyright issues here, aye Nordie
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Royalties even

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Let me guess which one is you...

The one in the middle who has fallen off in the mud and hurt his "finger".

Bike
    KLR650 WR450

So... whos up for a ride this Sunday....

2 choices....

Karapoti - Mungatooks
    or.....

The inaugural running of the Coast to Coast to Coast
    Did this over the weekend with my wife in the car and thought it would be cool fun on a bike.

Start off at the beach in Paraparaumu and head via Shannon and the Pahiutua track over to the Wairarapa and out to either Castlepoint or Riversdale Beach for lunch via as much gravel as possible (Pori Rd - Castle Hill etc) then down to Lake Ferry via more gravel (Homewood Rd, Kaiwhata Rd, Admirals Range etc) for a poke around and snack/early dinner at the Lake Ferry Hotel. Then a loop around Lake Wairarapa and back over the Rimutukas before dark. Maybe a 500k-600k loop -easily doable in a day.

Anyone interested in either???

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    The inaugural running of the Coast to Coast to Coast
    Did this over the weekend with my wife in the car and thought it would be cool fun on a bike.

Start off at the beach in Paraparaumu and head via Shannon and the Pahiutua track over to the Wairarapa and out to either Castlepoint or Riversdale Beach for lunch via as much gravel as possible (Pori Rd - Castle Hill etc) then down to Lake Ferry via more gravel (Homewood Rd, Kaiwhata Rd, Admirals Range etc) for a poke around and snack/early dinner at the Lake Ferry Hotel. Then a loop around Lake Wairarapa and back over the Rimutukas before dark. Maybe a 500k-600k loop -easily doable in a day...
    I'd be a starter for this.
    Here's a possible route, its about 700ks according to mapsource
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PosRouteSmall.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	454.6 KB 
ID:	109579  
    Last edited by Balrog; 3rd November 2008 at 19:39. Reason: Added potential route pic

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    This weekend is allocated to 'quality time' - there will be no riding or talking about motorcycles...
    So no riding or talking about motorcycles, but thinking about and planning rides
    is ok eh

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    I'd be a starter for this.
    Here's a possible route, its about 700ks according to mapsource
    how much is it if you take out the Akito loop?

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    Around 550, have you been around Akito before?

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Great roads out there - we do the Woodville Lions Coast to Coast every December. I can recommend Waihi Valley Road (gravel) to Waihi Falls which are definately worth a look, through Oporae Road which is an AWESOME piece of tarmac - comes out north of Weber taking you through to Dannevirke.
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    So no riding or talking about motorcycles, but thinking about and planning rides is ok eh
    As long as you can maintain a fairly blank look (easy for me) they have no idea whats really going on inside . Actually my wife enjoyed the 'adventure' roads we went on but doesn't want to do them on a bike - am thinking of a 4 wheel drive at some point....

I've never got all the way there - got about half way there from Pongaroa and it pissed down and we bloused out (last year).

Maybe it would make sense to reverse the loop - meet at RimuCaltex (9am?) and do Lake Ferry first - that way we have the option of doing the 'Northern Loop' if time and our posteriors permit.

Quote Originally Posted by mazz1972 View Post
    Great roads out there - we do the Woodville Lions Coast to Coast every December. I can recommend Waihi Valley Road (gravel) to Waihi Falls which are definately worth a look, through Oporae Road which is an AWESOME piece of tarmac - comes out north of Weber taking you through to Dannevirke.
    Those northern Wairarapa roads are brilliant - I love the bits from Coonoor through to Waihi Falls - you and your better half should come along and get some dirt on those spotless bikes

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Those northern Wairarapa roads are brilliant - I love the bits from Coonoor through to Waihi Falls - you and your better half should come along and get some dirt on those spotless bikes
    I'm still too much of a gravel-wuss on the KLE as yet and was never confident on the Sherp either. The KLE is quite a bit taller than my Sherp was, and about 70 kgs heavier. I just about dropped it and I wasn't even moving - my foot slipped out in the gravel and there I was on a precarious angle and I couldn't move.

Hubby could very well be interested if his back is ok (he twinged it yet again on Sunday)....I'll let him know.
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    Maybe it would make sense to reverse the loop - meet at RimuCaltex (9am?) and do Lake Ferry first - that way we have the option of doing the 'Northern Loop' if time and our posteriors permit....
    I'm easy, just want to start the dusty butt hardening process

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    So are we doing this gravel run?
    The weather is looking good for Sunday.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by mazz1972 View Post
    I'm still too much of a gravel-wuss on the KLE as yet and was never confident on the Sherp either. The KLE is quite a bit taller than my Sherp was, and about 70 kgs heavier. I just about dropped it and I wasn't even moving - my foot slipped out in the gravel and there I was on a precarious angle and I couldn't move.

Hubby could very well be interested if his back is ok (he twinged it yet again on Sunday)....I'll let him know.
    Same weight difference between my KLR and my DT230 - needs a completely different riding style - which I'm still learning...

Why don't you and Hubby just ride the tar out to Lake Ferry and meet us at the Hotel for a drink - we'll be there about 11ish - I hope.

So are we doing this gravel run?
    The weather is looking good for Sunday.
    Don't see why not - is a 9am start at RimuTex OK? - am keen to explore a few side bits ( Ocean Beach?) as well. Everyone welcome - there will be lots of latte stops

Thread Information