Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Wellington Rideouts - Where next?

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    ... Don't see why not - is a 9am start at RimuTex OK? - am keen to explore a few side bits ( Ocean Beach?) as well. Everyone welcome - there will be lots of latte stops
    err, sounds good, but 700ks is a long way.
    I reckon the 1st stop would be Gladstone after the Admiral road gravel roads at the back of Martinborough.
    Then thru the forest to Riversdale, up and around castle hill / pori pori
    thimble gas tanks gas up, then round Akito and back to Paihiatua

Not a lot of time for deviations.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaJim View Post
    err, sounds good, but 700ks is a long way.
    I reckon the 1st stop would be Gladstone after the Admiral road gravel roads at the back of Martinborough.
    Then thru the forest to Riversdale, up and around castle hill / pori pori
    thimble gas tanks gas up, then round Akito and back to Paihiatua

Not a lot of time for deviations.
    I think we might have slightly different rides in mind.

I am going trail riding on Saturday and to a party Sat night so I wasn't really expecting to be in 'max km's or die' mode on Sunday.

I was planning a leisurely 500ish Km ride with time for detours and unlimited latte stops. Was expecting maybe a 10 hour ride time. Was happy to look at the extra loop if time/bum allows.

Maybe you should do the 1000k road run on Sat to make you nice and pliable for Sunday

cheers

Mark

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    ... be in 'max km's or die' mode on Sunday....
    now you're talking

I'm not allowed to do both rides

Yeah I've pretty much got a long distance ride in mind.
    No worries though, see how I feel on the day.

either way coffee will be required

Jim

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    I've never done an organized trail ride like the Totara Park - could you take some photos and tell us what its like?

cheers

Mark
    It was my first time offroad on a trail ride so was a baptism of fire for me in some areas, particularly on the stock Dunlops on the KLX - yeah they need changing!

Good crowd there, guessing 100 ish. They had lost part of their normal course due to the recent storms bringing quite a few trees down across the main loop trail, so was a shortened main loop - think 12k maybe. Nice 7k ride in up gravel access road. Had graded signs A,B,C & quads with the AB's taking little loops off the main C loop and rejoining. However early on in the main loop they had a C/Quad signed section that was WAAY more difficult for a novice like me than if you had continued down the AB section(which I did on all subsequent loops!). The long uphill return section to the start of the main loop was dirt & greasy enough to be real challenging for me on my damn stock Dunlops but hey I managed by the end of the day to do two loops with only one spill on each in that part of the loop so was a challenge but great fun. The friend I went with was extremely experienced and he and the other two riding with him said they had some good challenging stuff on the A sections!

For someone who had never been on anything like that before it was an experience for sure!!! Quads and bikes screaming by you all day - haha! Personally I could have done without the quads!

The Moonshine Road/Puketiro Forest trail ride on 30th Nov is organised by the same MC so am planning on sorting my tyre issues and giving that a go to learn some more about handling myself off road!

Dave

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    It was my first time offroad on a trail ride so was a baptism of fire for me in some areas, particularly on the stock Dunlops on the KLX - yeah they need changing!

Good crowd there, guessing 100 ish. They had lost part of their normal course due to the recent storms bringing quite a few trees down across the main loop trail, so was a shortened main loop - think 12k maybe. Nice 7k ride in up gravel access road. Had graded signs A,B,C & quads with the AB's taking little loops off the main C loop and rejoining. However early on in the main loop they had a C/Quad signed section that was WAAY more difficult for a novice like me than if you had continued down the AB section(which I did on all subsequent loops!). The long uphill return section to the start of the main loop was dirt & greasy enough to be real challenging for me on my damn stock Dunlops but hey I managed by the end of the day to do two loops with only one spill on each in that part of the loop so was a challenge but great fun. The friend I went with was extremely experienced and he and the other two riding with him said they had some good challenging stuff on the A sections!

For someone who had never been on anything like that before it was an experience for sure!!! Quads and bikes screaming by you all day - haha! Personally I could have done without the quads!

The Moonshine Road/Puketiro Forest trail ride on 30th Nov is organised by the same MC so am planning on sorting my tyre issues and giving that a go to learn some more about handling myself off road!

Dave
    Thanks for the report Dave

I'd like to do the Moonshine Road/Puketiro Forest trail ride but I'm away that weekend - I'll tell my son - he might be interested.

If you want reasonable knobbies that are okish on the road have a look at Dunlop 606's

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Personally I could have done without the quads!
    you be nice about quads - there's nothing wrong with quad riders that a bullet wouldn't fix.

cheers

Mark

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S
    Thanks for the report Dave

I'd like to do the Moonshine Road/Puketiro Forest trail ride but I'm away that weekend - I'll tell my son - he might be interested.

If you want reasonable knobbies that are okish on the road have a look at Dunlop 606's

you be nice about quads - there's nothing wrong with quad riders that a bullet wouldn't fix.

cheers

Mark
    Bugger I'm also away that weekend, I'd love to do it as well ... I guess trying to do too many rides on first free weekend doesn't work out

Cheers,
    Pampa

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Same weight difference between my KLR and my DT230 - needs a completely different riding style - which I'm still learning...

Why don't you and Hubby just ride the tar out to Lake Ferry and meet us at the Hotel for a drink - we'll be there about 11ish - I hope.
    As much as I like the KLE, in hindsight (aint it great) I'd have been better off sticking to plan A - a DR650 (in black) slightly second hand so I could afford to do something about the seat. It's about 35kg lighter than the KLE. But nothing came up. Oh well I still like my KLE

I think the old bugger had already arranged something for Sunday arvo but will check again. If nothing doing we might see you there Rimutex even if just for part of the ride. If we don't see you, have a great time!
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!

......... you be nice about quads - there's nothing wrong with quad riders that a bullet wouldn't fix.

cheers

Mark
    Yeah they just scared the bejezuz outta me as they came screaming past as I picked my novice butt up off the floor for the gazillianth time!

Dave

Bike
    2016 Africa Twin DCT & 2015 Indian Chief
    So Mark / Jim - I'm confused!

Have you chosen a trip? Maybe a day? Keen to come along for at least some of the ride on one of the days, if only I could work out what, where and when you might be doing it!

All the options sound good, just not sure I'll be able to keep up with you on the gravel, but happy to travel alongside you, learn some tips and maybe bail out and let you get on with it if I'm holding you up.

Assuming you're happy for me to join in?

Please advise.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Lander View Post
    So Mark / Jim - I'm confused!

Have you chosen a trip? Maybe a day? Keen to come along for at least some of the ride on one of the days, if only I could work out what, where and when you might be doing it!

All the options sound good, just not sure I'll be able to keep up with you on the gravel, but happy to travel alongside you, learn some tips and maybe bail out and let you get on with it if I'm holding you up.

Assuming you're happy for me to join in?
    Please advise.
    Hi Giles

You and anyone else is more than welcome to join in - speed wont be an issue as we'll have regular regrouping stops so you can go at the pace that you feel comfortable with (I hate feeling rushed on rides) - I'm actually quite slow on gravel on the KLR -its taking me a while to get the hang of a heavier bike.

I'm going to be at Caltex Rimutuka at 9am on Sunday intending to do a cruisy but possibly fairly long ride over to lake Ferry for coffee followed by an explore along the foot of the cliffs behind the beach to the east of Lake Ferry. After that I was going to head via Martinborough over the Admiral range and out to Riversdale for a late lunch and up toward Pahiatua and over the track and down to Shannon and on down to Kapiti. I would like to be home by dark.

If you like I could meet you over the railway crossing at Waikanae at 8.15 on Sunday morning to go to Upper Hutt via the Akka's

cheers

Mark

Bike
    2016 Africa Twin DCT & 2015 Indian Chief
    Cheers Mark, sounds like a plan to me!

See you in Waikanae at 08:15 Sunday morning.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    posted some photos of the days ride here

Bike
    2003 R1150GS Adventure
    posted some photos of the days ride here
    Nice write up Mark

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BusaJim View Post
    Nice write up Mark
    +1 marks - as always great report and obviously a fun time - me I spent quality time looking at gardens in Ohariu Valley - ..... later S
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    me I spent quality time looking at gardens in Ohariu Valley - ..... later S
    real men tremble with fear when they hear the dreaded words "quality time"

Thread Information