Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwibiker Mentors - Opinion

Bike
    Triple Delight
    The KB Mentor programme revival/renewal has been formulated with every best intention. A few members have spent a huge amount of time putting together what they in their collective wisdom thought was the best it could be. Who am I to argue with it.

I may or may not have some concerns about some that have been nominated, I may or may not choose to voice those concerns. I may or may not feel the confidentiality of the naysayers via PM, could be compromised unwittingly or deliberately sometime in the future. I may or may not be concerned about personalities/relationships colouring decision making.

As a result of the official mentoring program I may or may not ever post up I am prepared to help someone with their riding as I am not an "official" mentor, despite the fact that this scheme is not intended to stop people from offering to do just that.

I am not about to criticise the process either, like I said, a few members put a hell of a lot of effort into its development, like it or lump it, we have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    ...I generally don't support any effort of a community to organise itself into a hierarchy. It inevitably results in unworthy individuals preening themselves over arbitrary status symbols. Distasteful.
    Therein lies the problem.

A few people put up their hands to say "I'm willing help out", and the tall poppy bashers immediately declare them to be a "self-appointed hierarchy".

You see it happen in all groups. A small number of people are willing to do things for others. Another small group despise and ridicule them for it.

< Ramble warning on >

Like the majority of people, I've spent most of my life avoiding "community" type work. If you keep your hand down long enough, someone else will reluctantly volunteer...

A few years back (when my kids were starting at Primary School), I was reading the Board of Trustees meeting minutes in the school newsletter, and noticed mention of getting quotes for repairs to the Fire Alarm. I phoned the school and said "I can fix it for you, no charge". A few months later, the BoT elections were held, and my arm was twisted...

I served six years, during which I found myself being a relucant organiser.

Thing is, it was the same faces I saw around the school. The PTA members, making cheese rolls for fundraising. The same faces would turn up for the occasional working bee. The same faces manning the road crossing patrol on a freezing cold morning.

After six years I had done my share, and stepped down. I had done my bit for the local community, time for someone else to give it a go.

Regrets? Not many, but the main disappointment was feedback from some families about the "elitist few who ran the school". And yes, it hurt.

There is a point to this rambling.

Those who have put there names on the line, are simply willing amateurs who are happy to support and encourage learner riders. Nothing more, nothing less.

They do not deserve your scorn and ridicule.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    < Ramble warning on >
    You forgot to turn it off again... err you blinker is still on...

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Boob Johnson View Post
    You don't see the fallout figures though do you, the Army is a very different one to days gone by

You are aware (with that analogy) that they have had to tone the Army drill instructors down in recent years? Fewer people these days respect or respond to that type of instruction.

I suspect that it might be for the best if those who are unable to respond to "that type of instruction" were to drop out of the ranks of motorcycling.

When things turn pear shaped, there is no time to remember what one was taught. Or to analyse. Survival depends on near instantaneous response. Correct response. Without thinking. It is not a matter of remembering or implementing instruction. It is a matter of conditioned reflex and muscle memory. The correct response must have been so drilled in that it is done automatically without thought. Which is exactly what drill instructors inculated. And the laws of physics do not stand or argument , and have no respect at all for fairness or human rights.

It's not about fairness, it's about staying alive. For bikers as well as soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Nada
    I'll happily step down as a so-called KB mentor if others disagree with me being one as I'll continue to offer help and advice to people that ask anyway.

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    You forgot to turn it off again... err you blinker is still on...
    Oops - damn it...

< Ramble warning off >
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    nun
    Therein lies the problem.

A few people put up their hands to say "I'm willing help out", and the tall poppy bashers immediately declare them to be a "self-appointed hierarchy".

You see it happen in all groups. A small number of people are willing to do things for others. Another small group despise and ridicule them for it.

< Ramble warning on >

Like the majority of people, I've spent most of my life avoiding "community" type work. If you keep your hand down long enough, someone else will reluctantly volunteer...

A few years back (when my kids were starting at Primary School), I was reading the Board of Trustees meeting minutes in the school newsletter, and noticed mention of getting quotes for repairs to the Fire Alarm. I phoned the school and said "I can fix it for you, no charge". A few months later, the BoT elections were held, and my arm was twisted...

I served six years, during which I found myself being a relucant organiser.

Thing is, it was the same faces I saw around the school. The PTA members, making cheese rolls for fundraising. The same faces would turn up for the occasional working bee. The same faces manning the road crossing patrol on a freezing cold morning.

After six years I had done my share, and stepped down. I had done my bit for the local community, time for someone else to give it a go.

Regrets? Not many, but the main disappointment was feedback from some families about the "elitist few who ran the school". And yes, it hurt.

There is a point to this rambling.

Those who have put there names on the line, are simply willing amateurs who are happy to support and encourage learner riders. Nothing more, nothing less.

They do not deserve your scorn and ridicule.
    This one time...at band camp..!!!

The point being raised is that some people's skills are being questioned...! stop being so defensive and realise its not an attack but a point of view meant to help the helpless.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Nice ramble Virago. Have seen this in the few clubs I have been actively involved in 3% of the membership does 98% of the work. If you don't grow a thick skin quick you bail even faster. If you do grow the requisite hide you bail eventually anyway, as it turns into an unpaid job and the bitching eventualy gts to you, even without the bitching you run out of enthusiasm eventualy. This thread seems to have turned into a mildly entertaining flame war that isn't going to solve anything or change anyones opinion.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post

The point being raised is that some people's skills are being questioned...! stop being so defensive and realise its not an attack but a point of view meant to help the helpless.
    POV. Critique. Attack. Call it what you will...
    In the presence of veiled aspersions and the absence of any encouragement, tis difficult not to see some posters views as being anything but criticism.
    Some of the originally proposed and appointed mentors withdraw their 'support' for this very reason (I think). If one is not a soldier, does one volunteer to put one's head above the parapet, considering nobody is ordering one to do so?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    In the presence of veiled aspersions and the absence of any encouragement, tis difficult not to see some posters views as being anything but criticism.
    Some of the originally proposed and appointed mentors withdraw their 'support' for this very reason (I think). If one is not a soldier, does one volunteer to put one's head above the parapet, considering nobody is ordering one to do so?
    Criticism or not...it's what you do with it that counts.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    Meh...I'm getting over this topic
    You started it bro.

I have kept out of it so far. To be honest I don't quite see what the fuss is about, but I am on one side of the fence.

I haven't taken any of the 'general' criticisms to heart. Mentors didn't get to see the negative feedback as far as I am aware, so I wasn't privy to any bad feedback.

I am no saint, I have a history, I have crashed on the road a number of times too. Not for a while though and not on the race track yet either. Maybe I'm mellowing in my *cough* middle age. Nah - I'm still getting faster on the track.

Anyway - I have been riding for 'quite' a while, and believe that I have something to offer newbies, if anyone wants the advice. I'm not in it for popularity.

Thats all.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Criticism or not...it's what you do with it that counts.
    Mighty succinct of you, Boomer. And quite astute as well.
    Are 'we' not doing a fair job of things?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    See it's not like we even put our hands up. We were nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    I'll happily step down as a so-called KB mentor if others disagree with me being one as I'll continue to offer help and advice to people that ask anyway.
    +1 (depending on who the 'others' are).

I'm all for transparency though.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Encouragement??.......... the invested time has been well worth it, the vast majority of mentors seem superbly well suited.
    Unanswered questions remain over fringe elements-defensive positions do nothing to defuse [or answer] plebian concerns.
    Repark the waaahmbulance

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    .......... the invested time has been well worth it, the vast majority of mentors seem superbly well suited...
    Our collective egos feel well-stroked...
    Of course, I may be in the other category?

Thread Information