Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwibiker Mentors - Opinion

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Of course, I may be in the other category?
    You better hope not. That would put you in my group.

Bike
    nun
    Mighty succinct of you, Boomer. And quite astute as well.
    Are 'we' not doing a fair job of things?

I cant comment; i haven't ridden with "We"

What i can say is tho.. if my son was learning to ride right now.. there's no way in hell he'd be learning from a couple of mentors; those who i have seen ride !!!

And Chris.. this is not you brother; your a crazy mother, as we all can be, but i know you'd wear the right hat(persona) at the time of mentoring and have the common sense to pass on !

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    You better hope not. That would put you in my group.
    That is a group of one. No room for any more. Thanks , anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    I cant comment; i haven't ridden with "We"

What i can say is tho.. if my son was learning to ride right now.. there's no way in hell he'd be learning from a couple of mentors; those who i have seen ride !!!

And Chris.. this is not you brother; your a crazy mother, as we all can be, but i know you'd wear the right hat(persona) at the time of mentoring and have the common sense to pass on !
    This is not aimed at you, Boomer, or anyone in particular...but this is what I meant by 'veiled aspersions'. Naming and shaming is never approved for any reason on KB, but if anyone has major concerns about one of the 'hierarchy', then a PM to Mental Trousers stating the facts (as you see them) would be in order.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    And that right there is always the number 1 concern for those running the Mentor programme, can the person in question step up when they're asked and be a capable Mentor.

There's been quite a few that didn't make it because the people running the Mentor programme weren't convinced that those candidates could measure up.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    2007 CB900
    This one time...at band camp..!!!

The point being raised is that some people's skills are being questioned...! stop being so defensive and realise its not an attack but a point of view meant to help the helpless.
    its easy .. if people are concerned of the skills of particular mentors take it up with the senior mentors ... they can then address them!

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    The other thing worth mentioning is the old "KB is not a democracy" - yet the mentors were picked via a democratic process. Still can't keep everybody happy.
    Democratic but not transparrent because fuck knows what might happen if someone got offended because some random on the internet makes some comment about them not being good at mentoring or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    From my understanding any bitch fighting that Cowboyz has been up to has nothing to do with mentor selection at all (also from what I have seen the bitch fighting was after the first lot of mentors selected were announced though I may have the timing wrong on that one).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Cowboyz was our resident mentor under the old system but with the bitch fighting thats gone on he appears to have been deemed unsuitable.
    I have only just caught up with this thread after talking with Bonez on the ride today.
    I pulled out of the moderator program on my own accord long before upsetting the mods. 2 completely unrelated incidents.

Why I pulled out of the mentor programme - the officail release from EMU#1

1. After exchanging pms with various people in the setup of the mentor programme I decided it was not going to offer the support or commitment from kiwibiker to warrent my support or commitment.
    2. With some thought put into the influence of certain mods to the actual manawatu rides and how the rides have been changed from a group of guys getting out on their bikes and enjoying some roads to a group of guys who are expected to babysit others, the enjoyment of what we started was lacking. (to qualify - I am not suggesting for a minute that I object to newbies on rides, in fact, it was not actually the newbies causing the problems - it was others that felt the newbies needed babysitting)

Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Poos-- My opinion here. If you have an issue with one or more mentors then please FFS speak up.
    Seriously mate -I couldn't agree more with your concern that mentors need to be up to scratch and I'm fairly sure that the people "in charge" of the program would be gratefull for your feedback.
    I have no doubt that KB and all its factions are a popularity contest. Just my opinion. There are some you cant disagree with and there are some that simply dont listen to anything apart from their own opinion.
    Not to mention there is always someone waiting in the wings to yell waaambulance whenever an issue is raised..... (look below for an example)

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    (look below for an example)
    Either your presence has been felt, or you've been in here swing your light sabre EMU-WAN. Even the tags have fooked off!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Seems to be a lot of people bagging the mentor 'system'. I don't see any of the baggers putting their hands up and suggesting something 'better'.
    The current mentor system was fully developed before I even knew of its existance. I commented to a few at the top of the food chain that "gee I'd like to be involved with that" an got told that, a.) it was already set in concrete, and b.) that I didn't have the required experience.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    All this conspiracy/hidden agenda/secret squirrel/lack of transparency/power tripping/popularity contest stuff is old/stale/bullshit.
    The mentor system was implemented in it's current form to address a need, and to ensure that only suitable mentors were appointed. The mentors themselves were nominated and approved by their peers (KB as a whole). They are there to help if asked. If any particular mentor can't help for any reason, they will pass the asker on to another mentor who can help. If a mentor is not asked for help, then they are just another log-in/biker like anyone else. They have no special powers or privileges. And any mentor that goes around offending people by giving help that's not wanted, or is inappropriate, will likely not stay long as a mentor.
    Newbies are free to seek help, or not, where-ever they like, but if they ask for help through the resource that is KB, surely they are entitled to know that they will be looked after? That is the only reason there is a mentor system.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    The current mentor system was fully developed before I even knew of its existance. I commented to a few at the top of the food chain that "gee I'd like to be involved with that" an got told that, a.) it was already set in concrete, and b.) that I didn't have the required experience.

Steve
    Its a redevelopment of the old Mentor system... which many of the newer members would not have known about...

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrs View Post
    and to ensure that only suitable mentors were appointed.

fail......!

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    Everyone had the option of putting feedback on all nominated mentors ... if they didn't bother then that was their choice to not help/assist in making this a success.
    And your point..??!

I find you quite offensive... you're going on teh ignore list.

Bike
    fail......!
    Who failed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca6b7e5241.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	109432  

Bike
    nun
    Criticism or not...it's what you do with it that counts.

Who failed?

Me and all the other noobs..???

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post

Steve
    The requirements for becoming a mentor were posted in http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...20&postcount=2

If you believe you meet those requirements then simply get someone to nominate you, and provide two suitable referees. We will check out those references, the senior mentor from your area will review the nomination and make a recommendation and the nomination will be publicly notified. After there has been a suitable period to obtain feed back then the appointment will be confirmed or not.

If by being "......involved with that" meant that you would have liked an input into how it was being set up, then that is no problem as anyone can make comment openly (as in this thread) or privately via pm at any time. We are always looking for ways of making the programme safer and more available.
    Time to ride

Thread Information