Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwibiker Mentors - Opinion

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    woooooo

and Kiwis can drive ????????????????

Some if not the worst driving habits on this planet ...Mr Poo raises a very good question , which you need to look at in 2 lights

one confidence , some people just need a stronger rider to follow to get used to the bike.

2 the next step is road craft ,,, that takes a lifetime ,,,( or a few years as a London Dr , or better still a London bike policeman ,,, those fella can keep a constant speed ,,,in a very controlled way ,,big respect to then ..( from an ole scrot ,,,)

Watch that fastbike vidoe , where they were in the south of france ,,, , wheelies mucking about ,, and not once ( well only on a clear road ) did they cross the centre line ,,, Sorry but Kiwis are awful drivers ,, ( except for the truckies ,,they wernt to bad apart from the wierd road signals , which differ fronm the rest of the world ,Austraila excluded .)

If I were to choose a Mentor it would be Katman , it may come out abit odd sometimes , but theres a heap of sense there

Stephen
    katman is an excellent example of who should not be a mentor. His social skills on here mark him as a retard.

Bike
    Zeex12r & Er6rrr
    im with you on this one cow poos. 100%.
    why do black tyres on a black road produce white smoke?????

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, gotta agree with you on this one too CP.

The original mentors programme was pulled due to 20 year olds with 1 or 2 years ending up on the mentor list, and a new one was instituted.

There was a lot of work went into the new programme. Unfortunately the process doesn't appear too transparent to me and I'm not confident of the end result as well.

There are a number of people on the mentor programme whose ability I respect and a number of whom I have no idea at all.

The legal implications to the site owners if something goes wrong could be interesting.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    katman is an excellent example of who should not be a mentor. His social skills on here mark him as a retard.
    What the hell have his social skills got to do with it? You can learn those in a pub. What newbies (and old returning farts like me) need are bike skills and road craft. Having ridden with Katman on group rides I can attest to his skills on both counts............but hey, what would I know? I'm just an old fart who can't ride for shit (hence I never dispense advice to anyone...)
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by wysper View Post
    no one is forcing you to use a mentor or even listen to what they say or read what they post. I know a couple of newbies on this site and they don't take anyones word as gospel. They tend to work on the theory that if many people say the same thing then there is probably something to it.
    Doesn't everyone? Why the struggle to get ones' own opinion (not yours wysper) to be taken as fact? There is no "fact". We collect opinion and we make our own "fact". Everyone does.

Exactly. Mentoring is more about achieving a positive outcome with a person over time, and less about being right regardless, and that requires more social skills than it does biking skills. After all the teaching is done, the idea is to come out of it with a person who still wants to ride a bike and doesn't feel like giving up.

I'm teaching my kids to drive and ride, and I taught my wife to ride, and they are brilliantly smooth to follow and watch, and yet I'm a new rider myself.

However, I have disagreed with and no doubt angered and provoked the great almighty cowshit, and everyone that posts in his thread must agree with him, so watch the abuse and red rep follow.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    So is there no defining line between a Mentor and a Tutor? It looks like the majority of nay sayers are talking about Tutors which is different. Mentors are not meant to teach - if they are then there's something seriously wrong. They are merely supposed to be a wheel to follow sometimes and someone with a bit of knowledge who can give words of encouragement (rather than tuition).
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    ..Exactly. Mentoring is more about achieving a positive outcome with a person over time, and less about being right regardless, and that requires more social skills than it does biking skills. After all the teaching is done, the idea is to come out of it with a person who still wants to ride a bike and doesn't feel like giving up.....Steve
    While you make a valid point, it is very easy to miss out on valuable learning from certain people because their personality doesn't fit with you. Instead I try to look beyond to the knowledge base and experience that they have. I have learned some very valuable professional skills from people who have all the social skills of the average 3 year old, in fact the best technical advances I made professionally were from being tutored by an Orthopaedic surgeon in the USA who was probably the most arrogant and disagreeable person I've ever met! Just had to look beyond all that to the goldmine of knowledge that was being made available to me.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Seems to be a lot of people bagging the mentor 'system'. I don't see any of the baggers putting their hands up and suggesting something 'better'.
    Most riders that want help just want that help in one or two areas of their riding, and they are free to seek that help where-ever they like. But if they ask on KB, then surely officially approved mentors are better than what went before (names not reqd even though they don't participate on KB anymore)?
    Nothing is stopping those who think they are good enough from passing on skills and knowledge to others, but as far as KB as an entity is concerned, there has to be some way of being assured that the intending official mentor is of a suitable standard. The process to achieve that was fairly robust (we even talked about having police vetting FFS).
    The other thing worth mentioning is the old "KB is not a democracy" - yet the mentors were picked via a democratic process. Still can't keep everybody happy.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Nada

eek

Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    The process to achieve that was fairly robust (we even talked about having police vetting FFS)....
    WHAT????

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    WHAT????
    Bwahahahaha...! Don't panic - your secrets are safe...
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    WHAT????
    "What?" indeed. Ya think ya know someone, and then....
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

mentors talk about the basic riding stuff aye? like stop start going round a corner safely?

its not about advanced riding skills?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Like I've said in my user note, I have no interest in teaching anything to make someone a faster rider. Staying alive on a motorcycle is 99% a mental thing - the other 1% is luck.

Social skills??? Do you want me to bake you a fucking cake?

chocolate please with some icing!
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    An old slow red one!!
    Wha' ????

If I needed a mentor (and I did), I wouldn't give a shit about how well the rider could indulge in social intercourse, or win popularity contests! If they are experienced, keen to stay alive, have common sense and ride accordingly (thank god I found Lynda and Hamish!), then I would be keen to keep their back wheel in my sights for as long as I felt comfortable or wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpy View Post
    I'm just an old fart who can't ride for shit (hence I never dispense advice to anyone...)
    Hmm fuck - what does that make me - an old fartess??

Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Mentors are not meant to teach - if they are then there's something seriously wrong. They are merely supposed to be a wheel to follow sometimes and someone with a bit of knowledge who can give words of encouragement (rather than tuition).
    There we go - some common sense??

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Like I've said in my user note, I have no interest in teaching anything to make someone a faster rider. Staying alive on a motorcycle is 99% a mental thing - the other 1% is luck.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Social skills??? Do you want me to bake you a fucking cake?

Oh - 'er - yes please?

and / or

Follow me on Facebook

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.

Thread Information