Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwibiker Mentors - Opinion

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    Okay...this new mentor program thing going on kiwibiker..
    I am in agreeance with you aswell, ok but let me say I am only refering to those ME:s that I ride many a km with. These guys are fuking awesome people... i have lots of time for them, but as ME:s I can think of beter, people that have riden and raced the world.

Now I'd cancile the progame myself, people wanting help on rides will find by them selves some one to get help from, that some one they can choose rather than be told this person is a ME:

I am more than happy to help those that ask but the 1st thing I say is "this is what works for me and may not for you and FWIW after 200,000+kms 25 years of non stop riding I still learn new shit every day"
    I however will not ever consider myself as some kinda mentor.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Mentors are not meant to teach - if they are then there's something seriously wrong. They are merely supposed to be a wheel to follow sometimes and someone with a bit of knowledge who can give words of encouragement (rather than tuition).
    That was made clear when the program was launched, but seems to have conveniently been lost.

I am not surprised. People like to teach - it validates them and reinforces their opinion as fact, and increases their self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpy View Post
    it is very easy to miss out on valuable learning from certain people because their personality doesn't fit with you. [....] the best technical advances I made professionally were from being tutored by an Orthopaedic surgeon in the USA who was probably the most arrogant and disagreeable person I've ever met! Just had to look beyond all that to the goldmine of knowledge that was being made available to me.
    Yeah fair enough. It takes a special sort of person, or a lot of effort to do that, or an absolute requirement (ie employment). Either way, I submit that is quite different from a puzzled newbie asking a genuine question from a respected elder and getting a gruff reply or ridicule in return.

The wrong type of person in this role serves either the public, KB, or motorcycling little or any value whatsoever, and for KB to put their stamp of approval on them is short-sighted.

Growth should be the goal, and it is not only the learner who is the learner.

In my opinion of course.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbuddy View Post
    closed thread or not if someone is nomenated i think the nomenator should post their reason why they think the person is worthy of mentor status
    Too right. I know anthony is a great bloke and races when he can. I've also witness some shady pasing manuvours by Sugi on the odd group ride , yeah I'm not perfect either. Some nominations seem to be self gratifying same goes for mod selection. Basicly it appears to be who you know, not how good they are to carry out the task Anthony is a good nomination for mentor btw.

I'm not bagging the whole mentor system per se its good to see folk helping fellow riders. It should also be pointed out there are quite few folks out there who help noobs without the KB mentor lable. Hats off to those silent few who do this.

Bike
    Carrie the VL250
    I wonder if not having the mentor program would be better though. As a bit of a noob myself I can assure you that I have a brain as do the rest of us noobs and I personally am not going to take any advice from anyone who cant ride. Just because I cant ride as well as some does not mean I can't tell who can ride.
    As someone still kinda new to this site it is pretty transparent who are the helpful, knowledgable people, a ride identifys the capable riders.
    So I wonder wheres the problem?
    The mentor program just hands me a shortlist of sorts that I can choose or not choose to look at if I need some advice etc.
    If those on the list aren't my kind of people and cant bake choc cakes etc then so be it.. I will look elsewhere for assistance.
    I wouldn’t be broke if the voices in my head paid rent

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    ...I demand to know...
    Do you now - well good for you.

This has all been covered at great length in the Mentor Programme discussion threads. You should find the answers to all your questions and demands in there - check them out.

A huge amount of work went into the planning and implementation process. All nominations were carefully vetted, and then posted on the site for public submissions before any were confirmed. I don't recall seeing any objections from you...?

The issue of liability was paramount during the initial planning stages. Legal opinions were sought. The site administrators are satisfied that the issue has been covered.

The system is now up and running. It is early days, but the feedback from those involved is 100% positive.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
    I wonder if not having the mentor program would be better though.
    Don't think so either. Like you stated it provides a shortlist. Getting on a organised ride evening or similar can help. Some KB mentors reckon this is no good for noobs but we seem to be having good results with this in our area. Also having a few newer riders along on the ride seems to work well.

Cowboyz was our resident mentor under the old system but with the bitch fighting thats gone on he appears to have been deemed unsuitable.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch008 View Post

Random thought: Some of us may may manage to be more convincing on KB if we stated our case prior to indulging in our recreational chemical of choice?
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that would take all the fun out of life ... confused ramblings thats where its at ... I didnt get where I was today by being a confused Rambler , No never can I be told that I ramble ,,, I remember back in the day ,,,ohhh I must of been about

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Don't think so either. Like you stated it provides a shortlist. Getting on a organised ride evening or similar can help. Some KB mentors reckon this is no good for noobs but we seem to be having good results with this in our area. Also having a few newer riders along on the ride seems to work well.

Cowboyz was our resident mentor under the old system but with the bitch fighting thats gone on he appears to have been deemed unsuitable.
    Mentors all went through the same process - there is a reasonable amount of rigor around that process http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=79923 - and it also has nothing to do with the modorators and their roles as mods on this site (just to make that clear) .. so if a nominee doesn't come out through that process there is obviously a reason.

If you are the person who nominated some and want to discuss approach the Senior Mentors about it - i am not sure for your area it may be mstrs or hitcher. From my understanding any bitch fighting that Cowboyz has been up to has nothing to do with mentor selection at all (also from what I have seen the bitch fighting was after the first lot of mentors selected were announced though I may have the timing wrong on that one).

if a mentor is somone who teaches the basics - i.e., somone who has never ridden before to someone who wants a refersher for the learner/res/full test i will put my hand up to be a mentor, ive tought quite a few people the very basics.

but if its for people who want to improve their riding skills (i.e., knee down best "lines" to take etc) then im not keen. Will take people for a ride and give them pointers if they are doing stupid or dangerous things unknowingly tho.

im pretty paient and will let people learn on my motorcycle (cbr250) and not worried if they bin it (ask currious_aj on that one lol)
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    if a mentor is somone who teaches the basics - i.e., somone who has never ridden before to someone who wants a refersher for the learner/res/full test i will put my hand up to be a mentor, ive tought quite a few people the very basics.

but if its for people who want to improve their riding skills (i.e., knee down best "lines" to take etc) then im not keen. Will take people for a ride and give them pointers if they are doing stupid or dangerous things unknowingly tho.

im pretty paient and will let people learn on my motorcycle (cbr250) and not worried if they bin it (ask currious_aj on that one lol)

the mentor programme is not about teaching ... read the following http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=79923 - it will clarify the role of the mentor for you.

i see, its a bit contradictory don't you think? how do they define rider trainer? whats the main difference between trainer and mentor?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Oh shit!

I thought all the people who had ME by their names were suffering from Chronic Fatigue.

Phew, I'm glad to hear you are all ok after all.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Back on a 250 and riding more than ever.

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    i see, its a bit contradictory don't you think? how do they define rider trainer? whats the main difference between trainer and mentor?
    someone who trains a rider .. most likely someone with training to train a rider - suitably qualified would have been my though ...

I would have thught there was nothing unclear about the following:

The Mentors role is primarily to advise and encourage people in a 1 to 1 relationship. There will not ever be any Official KB Mentor Group Rides. This is primarily because the person being Mentored deserves the Mentors full attention and that can't happen in a 1 to many situation. There's nothing stopping the 2 of them from going on a group ride, but just remember that the Mentor is helping 1 person and that's all. Group riding can be fun and you can also learn a lot so there's no reason not to go on group rides unless the group is a bunch of speed freaks having a race to the end point or other dangerous behaviour.

Because Mentoring is about advising and encouraging there won't be any sort of official training schedule, curriculum or sessions. Doing figure 8's or a few simple cone exercises is all that should be attempted. Anything more advanced falls into the area of training and that is simply not what kiwibiker is offering.

Unless the Mentor is specifically advising on stunt riding, or racing on track, or any other specific situation, the Mentors main aim is to advice and encourage the rider into safe habits (as a minimum standard) and to enjoy themselves.

So, basically, the role of a Mentor is:
    • to advise and encourage
    • to pass on their vast amounts of knowledge and experience
    • to keep an eye on the people being Mentored

What a Mentor isn't:
    • a riding trainer
    • an idiot or unsafe rider
    • part of an insidious plot to take over the world

As for how Mentors achieve these goals, that's up to each individual Mentor. There is no prescribed syllabus, or laid out processes, or guidelines as to what and how people should be shown and told. The Mentors are chosen by their experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, not because of how well they stick to a script and tow the line. All that is asked is Mentors don't imply or promise that there is any training.

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I think you need to ask Cowboyz why he is not a mentor - I am sure that he will be happy to talk to you about it.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    someone who trains a rider .. most likely someone with training to train a rider - suitably qualified would have been my though ...

I would have thught there was nothing unclear about the following:
    Mentors give advice don't they? To help riders right? To improve their riding skills right? Now trainers give advice (call it instructions if you like) to to help improve riders they are teaching? Hmmmm

Thread Information