Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwibiker Mentors - Opinion

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Given the varying interpretations, an example of what a mentor might do vs what a trainer might do (over what the mentor does) would i believe, help with the clarifying the difference and the role of the "Kiwibiker Mentor".
    An example? A mentoring session for me would not even necessarily involve getting on a motorcycle.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    An example? A mentoring session for me would not even necessarily involve getting on a motorcycle.
    You'll need to expand on that. I would imagine rider trainers would do similar when required. For instance video sessions.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    You'll need to expand on that. I would imagine rider trainers would do similar when required. For instance video sessions.
    Expand?

Ok - it might not even involve talking about motorcycles.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Expand?

Ok - it might not even involve talking about motorcycles.
    Carry on.....

This could be usefull to other mentors.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Carry on.....

This could be usefull to other mentors.
    Like I've said Bonez - it's a mental attitude.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    You're right. This, I imagine, is why poos bought the subject up in the first place.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    You're right. This, I imagine, is why poos bought the subject up.
    And that's why I also have reservations about some of the mentors (and have said so from the start).

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Yeah... it's also being able to ride a fucking motorcycle. That helps too. And I think that's kinda what Mr Poos is bothered about. And his point is well-founded.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    And that's why I also have reservations about some of the mentors (and have said so from the start).
    Good for you.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Yeah... it's also being able to ride a fucking motorcycle. That helps too. And I think that's kinda what Mr Poos is bothered about. And his point is well-founded.
    I don't think it's so much about being able to ride a motorcycle - I believe it's about the attitude you bring to the ride. People, given the right attitude, can safely learn all they neeed to know about motorcycling in their own sweet time.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    People, given the right attitude, can safely learn all they neeed to know about motorcycling in their own sweet time.
    Hard to argue with that.

If a 'mentor' has difficulty with, say, going round corners, or braking quickly and retaining control, though, I'd have to ask whether, having shown an inability to control a motorcycle well after the requisite "I've been riding for THIS long!" quantity of experience, they were suitable to 'mentor' anything or anyone.
    - mikey

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post

If a 'mentor' has difficulty with, say, going round corners, or braking quickly and retaining control, though, I'd have to ask whether, having shown an inability to control a motorcycle well after the requisite "I've been riding for THIS long!" quantity of experience, they were suitable to 'mentor' anything or anyone.
    Hard to argue with that.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Mentors - not trained to teach and unqualified
    Trainers - trained and qualified

If it was a popularity contest and there wasn't very careful vetting Katman would never have gotten through. The wah brigade would have made damn sure he never got to be a mentor - but none of them had ever ridden with the guy or been adviced by him. We checked with people that had done both and their opinions were not the same as those who call him a prick.

The negative feedback was by far the most important. We always expected truckloads of positive feedback and got plenty of it, but it was the negative that we looked very closely at. Negative feedback from those known to have personality clashes with the candidate in question was taken with a grain of salt as personal motivations for the feedback could not be entirely ruled out. However, even the negative feedback wasn't consistant and there were no discernable patterns. Basically, none of the individual pieces of negative feedback on a candidate agreed with any other. If none of the feedback agreed then it's a single persons opinion and not that of a range of people, and it was a range of people showing a pattern for things like yes candidate xxxx is often irresponsible and encourages people to pop wheelies at every opportunity that are important.

Cowboyz withdrew before he got into the bitch fighting. You'll have to ask him why.

Hitcher is purely administrative and actively refuses to Mentor people. We agreed upon that before he took up the role as Senior Mentor for the Lower North Island region and is a Senior Mentor in name only.

The Central North Island has probably been the quietest region. Most likely due to the demographics of the area. It was never expected that the Mentors would be run off their feet but there has been steady activity.

The Mentor system isn't perfect and never will be. However, it is achieving what it was intended to do and a review of the entire thing won't be done for a long time yet.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    If it was a popularity contest and there wasn't very careful vetting Katman would never have gotten through.
    Careful, my fragile personality could be offended by that.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Careful, my fragile personality could be offended by that.
    Underneath it all, you just want to be loved, right?
    - mikey

Thread Information