Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Kiwibiker Mentors - Opinion

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I was asked to be a mentor...
    Good lord, an eminently sensible nomination for once! I hereby endorse that shit.

As I stated earlier, if we're going to insist on having an official mentor system, I'm all about having mentors who can actually ride bikes.

(Deano qualifies under this provision too, of course. And DMNTD, if he beats me at PMCC round 1 on the 30th. And The Stranger, although I'm going to have to be a cunt to him for at least a fortnight now to make up for admitting that. I have a sneaking suspicion that Katman can ride bikes, too.)

Anyway, go Sugi!

kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy

Should my mentorship be accepted, some of the things I'm wanting to share in no particular order are...
    Smooth riding, gear changes, braking, cornering lines etc.
    Creating time and space to react to unexpected hazards.
    Smooth pillioning.
    Lines (no centre line crossing on my mentoring sessions)
    Reading road condition, factoring in a multitude of different parameters.
    Very basic bike setup, as in correct positioning of hand and foot controls etc (getting your hand to that perfectly placed brake lever could be the difference in making it home rubber side down or not!)
    A bit of basic bike maintenance, chain tension, lubing, tyre pressures and such.
    Using the whole body in conjunction with throttle position to steer the bike effortlessly through corners.
    In short, I take a fairly holistic approach in sharing the steps to attain that sublime zen state where rider and bike operate as one.
    And that is what was envisioned when setting up the mentor system. It has nothing to do with being a hero or riding 'fast'.
    Perhaps you've been riding 6 months, or 6 years, but ask yourself honestly..."Have I got these basic fine-tuning points down pat?". Many of us haven't. I've been riding on and off for 35 years, and it's only in the last year or so that I've really come to understand and use what Sugi said. And that was after I spent a little time with him on his 'private' road. In addition to listening to Yungatart telling of a mentor session with Jim2.
    Putting together the info 'learned', and practising, made a huge difference to my riding. I am a much faster and safer rider than I was. Faster because I'm smoother, safer because of road positioning/lines. That is not to say I was an accident waiting to happen before though, just that I was able to lift my game without pushing harder. And it costs me less too - my brake pads and tyres last much longer than they did. And my pillions love me too!
    Get the info from any source you can, as long as it's the right info. Chances are a good bet will be one of the KB mentors.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 6th November 2008 at 08:12.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6

There won't be a certificate provided at the end of a session for your wall, but you may just get a smile on your dial from effortlessly gliding through a series of corners....knowing YOU got them just right!

can relate to that statement ..which is why I love getting lessons from sugi .. I have actually slowed down to work on the smoothness & when it comes together yeah the smile/europhia factor is 10+

well posted comments Sugi .. thanks
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Check out this thread . Yes that's right folk's the combative arse wipe who unnecessarily denigrates the thread in to a slanging match is in fact a mentor.

The protagonist exhibits excessively poor social skills and the inability to accurately convey message or emotion.

Inclusion of such individuals mark KB as a laughing stock.

*Head mentors*........clean your act up FFS

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    yep yep and yep.

But what made you think KB wasnt already a laughing stock?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    yep yep and yep.

But what made you think KB wasnt already a laughing stock?
    Yep. I've stopped telling people about KB.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I detect a sense of bitterness.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Check out this thread . Yes that's right folk's the combative arse wipe who unnecessarily denigrates the thread in to a slanging match is in fact a mentor.

The protagonist exhibits excessively poor social skills and the inability to accurately convey message or emotion.

Whats wrong with Mstrss? and how dare you call him a "protagonist" and "arse wipe". Those terms are what his wife calls him and are special.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    An old slow red one!!
    Good god boys - back awaaaaay from the sandpit.

ROTFL

and / or

Follow me on Facebook

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Were there trees overhanging the road?

I just got onto KB for the 1st time in a while, I've been busy of late in the 3D world, go figure! Since I got mentioned a few times in this thread, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject as it pertains to me personally

I was asked to be a mentor and I had a good think about that. Once the system was explained to me, I felt ok with it. My perception of the mentor system is it is basically an opportunity to share experience with a fellow enthusiest on an informal basis. It is up to each individual if they want to incorporate any of that information into their own riding. Seems straight forward to me.

I won't be out to create sugi clones. yeah, sure I race/raced, but I certainly won't be 'teaching' people how to ride fast, or how to perform perceived shady passing maneuvers!

Should my mentorship be accepted, some of the things I'm wanting to share in no particular order are...
    Smooth riding, gear changes, braking, cornering lines etc.
    Creating time and space to react to unexpected hazards.
    Smooth pillioning.
    Lines (no centre line crossing on my mentoring sessions)
    Reading road condition, factoring in a multitude of different parameters.
    Very basic bike setup, as in correct positioning of hand and foot controls etc (getting your hand to that perfectly placed brake lever could be the difference in making it home rubber side down or not!)
    A bit of basic bike maintenance, chain tension, lubing, tyre pressures and such.
    Using the whole body in conjunction with throttle position to steer the bike effortlessly through corners.
    In short, I take a fairly holistic approach in sharing the steps to attain that sublime zen state where rider and bike operate as one.

There won't be a certificate provided at the end of a session for your wall, but you may just get a smile on your dial from effortlessly gliding through a series of corners....knowing YOU got them just right!
    \

I'm in, when can I come up?

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Her_B4 View Post
    Good god boys - back awaaaaay from the sandpit.

ROTFL
    Yes yes. Of course. Stop being so childish. This is KB. If you dont pretend everything is peachy then you are acting like a 2 yr old. For gods sake dont raise any issues, it sparks the waaaambulance brigade. Just smile nicely and pretend all is good in the real world. This is, afterall, not a club - its just a internet site and has no bearing on the real world.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    Yes yes. Of course. Stop being so childish. This is KB. If you dont pretend everything is peachy then you are acting like a 2 yr old. For gods sake dont raise any issues, it sparks the waaaambulance brigade. Just smile nicely and pretend all is good in the real world. This is, afterall, not a club - its just a internet site and has no bearing on the real world.
    Geez, you could get a job with the Labour party with skills like that. Maybe even the Greens.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Geez, you could get a job with the Labour party with skills like that. Maybe even the Greens.
    Closer than you may think....
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Yep. I've stopped telling people about KB.

Steve
    Good, we don't want everybody thinking this place is somewhere knobs hang out.

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Closer than you may think....
    **Smiles happily nodding as the world goes by**

Its all green man.................

YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Thread Information