Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a scooter

Bike
    1984 Honda Nifty Fifty (NQ50)
    Hmm, might be that skaly82 has forgotten about kiwibiker... even so, this thread might come in handy to anyone looking for a scooter to buy

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125
    This is also a good post to have a read through... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...89#post1491589

Bike
    A big one
    You're a girl, aren't you?

The red ones are best.

Bike
    none

I havent forgotten about my thread just been working hard (11 hour days) and looking online at scooters.

have any of of a brand called syms which is avaiable through scooter bar?
    I'm not too sure about scooter bar I remember it being on fairgo or campbell live. good place to buy a scooter or not ?
    have you brought one here ewhat was experience

monday or tuesday i'll go around the dealers with my dad so i dont get ripped off and buy a complete bomb of a scooter lol.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    You're a girl, aren't you? The red ones are best.
    No no no your getting confused, the red ones are the fastest, the green ones taste funny and the blue ones don't float contrary to popular belief...

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by UberRhys View Post
    No no no your getting confused, the red ones are the fastest, the green ones taste funny and the blue ones don't float contrary to popular belief...
    They all burn the same

Bike
    1984 Honda Nifty Fifty (NQ50)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyla82 View Post
    I havent forgotten about my thread just been working hard (11 hour days) and looking online at scooters.

have any of of a brand called syms which is avaiable through scooter bar?
    I'm not too sure about scooter bar I remember it being on fairgo or campbell live. good place to buy a scooter or not ?
    have you brought one here ewhat was experience

monday or tuesday i'll go around the dealers with my dad so i dont get ripped off and buy a complete bomb of a scooter lol.
    The scooter bar on anglesea st? I tried to get my scooter fixed there and the guy was clueless. They know how to sell scooters, but not fix them. Go to Hamilton Honda. The guys there are cool as

Bike
    Suzuki UZ125
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    The jog is a fine scooter, but it doesn't really deserve a glowing recommendation.

Actually, neither does the Cordi or the Sym...

Lots of gaps on the quoted website, not really a complete list at all...
    Actually, yes it does. as far as a budget 50cc scooter goes it is probably the best available right now. The SYM and the Daelim also offer excellent value and performance for the price.

Obviously the site doesn't have a complete list of all 50cc scooters available.. because there are about a thousand. However out of 13 scooters that were comprehensively tested back to back in our 50cc comparison test the Jog came out on top... that is not a fluke.

Don't get me wrong there are many good 50s out there and there were a few we would have liked in the test, and couldn't get. However our multiple judges unanimously called the Jog as 1st position even separate to the tallying of the scores.

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Fuego View Post
    Do yourself a favour, go to your local Yamaha and buy a JOG! failing that have a look at something like a Daelim Cordi or a SYM DD50 perhaps. Make the Jog your first choice though.. assuming you are buying new
    I'm with Del on this.

I bought a new Jog 50 3 years ago and it is a great commuter scooter. I've since upgraded but the missus rides it now.

They are solid, easy to look after, start every time and are 100% reliable.

Keep away from thos vmoto things. They look (ort of) ok but are frikken death traps.

Happy scooting.....

Bike
    working on it....

Would I be getting scammed if i bought this?

I'm also trying to get my first scooter. After sifting through all the screeds of information in this thread and others I'm completely lost i'm so bogged down that I'm worse off than I started. I'm basically just looking at a cheap way of commuting until i get my full car license where you get that wonderful ability to carry passengers. But until then, scooters all the way. It has to be retro! I'm looking at this at the moment http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=185657368 but I can find very little information on the internet. Being completely new to scooters it makes me wonder if its a minority brand that shouldn't be trusted? My budget starts getting stretched at around 1500 so if there are any other suggestions please bear in mind that i'd much prefer it to be retro styled and hopefully around the 1500 mark. Thanks.
    Last edited by arthuritus; 16th November 2008 at 12:02. Reason: typos

Bike

Lightbulb My TradeMe suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by arthuritus View Post
    I'm also trying to get my first scooter. After sifting through all the screeds of information in this thread and others I'm completely lost i'm so bogged down that I'm worse off than I started. I'm basically just looking at a cheap way of commuting until i get my full car license where you get that wonderful ability to carry passengers. But until then, scooters all the way. It has to be retro! I'm looking at this at the moment http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=185657368 but I can find very little information on the internet. Being completely new to scooters it makes me wonder if its a minority brand that shouldn't be trusted? My budget starts getting stretched at around 1500 so if there are any other suggestions please bear in mind that i'd much prefer it to be retro styled and hopefully around the 1500 mark. Thanks.
    That looks like a headache about to turn into a migraine. Have a look at these on TradeMe, this would be my pick of 50cc moped scooters if I was in the market. If it is retro you want then the price will escalate because they are in demand. You may have to re-think your priorities, budget usage, style etc...

Bike
    working on it....
    ohh but its so cliche! I'm gonna have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the standard scooter market. Although I do notice they're considerably cheaper and from what I've read certainly seem to get the kudos for reliability etc. Which I'm assuming from the migraine comment does not apply to the one i fell in love with... Any other suggestions for retro style scooters though?

Bike
    A big one
    When you say 'retro style', do you mean new, but looking old. Or genuinely old?

The 'new' ones will be plastic (or way too expensive for what you're getting - vespers). The old ones, money pits.
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX 250
    I looked at a hell of a lot of scooters to replace mine before flagging it and getting a real bike. Best possibly buy if you can find one is the Suzuki UZ125, unlike the AZ125 it has fuel injection and some other better features. otherwise some of the Peugoet 2-strokes are pretty good.
    try somewhere legit like Scooterazzi or Scooters & Dirt

Bike
    A big one
    Also check out a Piaggio Fly. They've got 12" wheels.
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Thread Information