Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking at getting a scooter

Bike
    working on it....
    No no it wasnt a joker. They had one of those there too but... Hmm. How about I ring the guy and find out? He's gonna think I'm a real twit...

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    I run a scooter shop, so I see a lot come-and-go.

My TGB moped has done 44,000 km... still goes like new. I would think all good scooters could do similar if they are run on good oil.

Its a good example of a budget asian scooter that can go the distance.

4 strokes are possibly a little weak here, as I see plenty in the workshop that are running on Tar, and thus their next owner will pay the price.

At least a two stroke will have oil in or be dead.

As I said earlier, the Jog is a fine scooter. But IMHO its not great, even if it won the scooterthing page.

Its a good budget bike, so are many others.

If you are going to be on a moped reg, and be there for a long time, spend a bit more, and buy a european bike.

Asian bikes are intended as cheap transport. Some are really good at being cheap transport. But a shortage of money drives asian buyers.

But Europeans buy scooters for a different reason.

A shortage of money is not the primary reason they buy scooters.

Traffic congestion, parking, etc etc play a bigger role.

So europeans want style, reliability, build quality first, price last.

A euro will cost more than a asian bike. But it will deliver more for years.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    I couldn't agree more with Davereid.....you spend your money, you get what you pay for.
    The Japs and Italians have been doing reliable scoots for years, they've got their quality issues sorted for the prices they're asking. Okay, the Italians are too bloody expensive, we all know that, try buying a Ducati!
    Sure, you'll get cheaper from Taiwan, China etc, but be prepared for bad build quality, cheap brittle plastic and sometimes poor parts availability.
    Spend as much as your budget will allow and get quality, generally it will not let you down, there's bugger all to go wrong with them....IF...say again ...IF you do some basic bloody maintenance.
    Some people astound me when they think all you have to do is put fuel in it. Check the bloody OIL, water if it has radiator, condition of brakes, wheel bearings, Really easy stuff, can be done once a month in 5 mins. And still some people neglect it.
    My Suzuki AY50 Watercooled has 12,000 km on it, runs like new, my Gilera Runner 180SP has 30,000 km on it and still pulls like a schoolboy on it's original piston and rings (I've changed the belt twice, brake pads done, and throttle cables replaced.) Yes I run fully synthetic oil. Because it works well.
    Use the best oil you can afford, this stuff is your engine's lifesaver, and contrary to popular belief, bikes don't run well on black goo called tar. If it's a 2-smoker, check the oil reservior regularly, a seized engine is no fun.
    Your future or present scoot will love you for it and look after you if you look after it.
    Glad I got that off my chest....

Bike
    working on it....
    Ah, it was a giorno that i test rode, I finally remembered. I'm gonna try go back wednesday and have another look around. So far I think my options are the vino, giorno and verde. Provided nobody has any misgivings about any of those models i'm probably just gonna go with colour : )

Bike
    working on it....
    Well I ended up getting a vino. I've puttered about with it for a couple of days and I'm really happy with it. At 1200 i dont think the price was too bad, and I suppose all that remains to be seen is how much i gotta pay to keep it going. Thanks everyone for your advice and assistance, thanks to you there is now one more happy scooterer out there.

Bike
    Suzuki UZ125
    A fine choice indeed, Im not sure about the older Vino's but the current one is a cool little ride and for that money you can't go too far wrong, I expect they are fairly indestructible... enjoy!

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401

Honda Today Motorino 50!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnieh View Post
    Trust me if you aren't going huge distances and don't need SPEED, get a Honda Today, I know I would.
    I can vouch for that. My Honda Today has been great. So cheap to run, and it's 4 stroke, so it's quieter than most 2 strokes, and no need to buy 2 stroke oil either.
    I'm selling my Honda Today ATM, but only because I got a motorbike.

But I've been really happy with the Honda. Super reliable, and amazingly cheap to run.
    Not to self promote or anything, but:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=190205778

But it's in Auckland.

But if you can get one of those near new for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it.
    But if not, I agree with the general consensus: Stick with the good name brands. Suzuki has a neat little 4 stroke, fuel injected 50cc scooter (The UZ50 or "Let's"). Honda has the "Today". Yamaha has one similar, although more Italian styling (the Vino 50), but it's usually more expensive. The Vino is liquid cooled, where the others are air cooled with fan assist.

But overall, avoid the junky unknown brand chinese rubbish!! I've read a lot of horror stories about them, and although they're cheaper in the first instance, you'll end up kicking yourself later.

Ha, missed that post where a previous poster got the Vino. Good choice . But what happened to skyla who started the thread?
    Last edited by samgab; 28th November 2008 at 17:54. Reason: Didn't notice that the original poster got a scooter...

Bike
    None at the moment :(
    How about the Keeway range guys ?

http://www.keewaymotor.com/

From reviews I hear they use european parts and have bikes virtually the same as the Vespas but for a lower price. Will I get the same craftmanship or will I be better off going for an official Euro model

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Notwithstanding my SJ50...

Add me to the list of those who recommend a Jog...

Bike
    GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by honem View Post
    How about the Keeway range guys ?

http://www.keewaymotor.com/

From reviews I hear they use european parts and have bikes virtually the same as the Vespas but for a lower price. Will I get the same craftmanship or will I be better off going for an official Euro model
    Saying it again - you get what you pay for.
    Burn the rubber not your soul baby!

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Quote Originally Posted by prettybillie View Post
    Saying it again - you get what you pay for.
    Absolutely true. Without exception.

Bike
    Daryl
    i have a hyosung rally sf 100 and its great if that helps ...100 cc's of great fun. i use it for a daily commuter.

to pick one thats right for you its always a good idea to sit on them and test ride them if you can.

the cheap imports are the ones to stay away from...you know...the no name brands.

vespa, hyosung, pgo are all good makes that are reliable and comfortable etc. check out places like motomail, red barron etc when buying a scooter because they tend to stay away from the cheap and nasties. they will also be able to give you good advice and point you in the right direction for a scoot that suits your needs best.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

You have been warned. 'Cheesecutters' are coming to a road near you soon! http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/

Thread Information