Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a scooter

Bike
    XJR 1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    I'm with Del on this.

I bought a new Jog 50 3 years ago and it is a great commuter scooter. I've since upgraded but the missus rides it now.

They are solid, easy to look after, start every time and are 100% reliable.

Keep away from thos vmoto things. They look (ort of) ok but are frikken death traps.

Happy scooting.....

yup jog.....
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    2020 BMW R1250R and 2011 C182T

Options

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Also check out a Piaggio Fly. They've got 12" wheels.
    I see they are now available in a 150 cc option as well.

Bike
    working on it....
    @ Dave: Retro syle meaning looking old, otherwise dependant on short term and long term affordability. I put a link up in my first post to one that has the right kind of idea in terms of appearance but that one has so far been shot down as being a migraine. As you say a vespa would be nice but way out of price range. As are the Flys from what i'm looking at, plus they're not even close tp the same style as the other vespas...
    Hmm anyway. Would that I could by a motorbike.

Bike
    working on it....
    Ooh. And I found this. Yamaha Vino. Yamahas are good right? I'm not sure about the colour but right idea I think.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Quote Originally Posted by arthuritus View Post
    Ooh. And I found this. Yamaha Vino. Yamahas are good right? I'm not sure about the colour but right idea I think.
    Can't comment on the price (seems a bit spendy for a 2001 scooter, compared with what i paid for my less trendy looking beast, but I know they are fairly pricey new), but mechanically it should be a good choice. The (later model) Vinos i sat one seemed fairly small behind the legshields - depends how tall you are.

Look at
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/Scoot...c/Default.aspx

Most of the published reviews seem to be of the 125 model.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    working on it....
    Okay. I read somewhere it has the same/similar engine as the JOG which several people have already recommended. I have no idea how much I should pay as I can only find the one at the moment but after looking around a bit more a should find a better variety in prices. And colours. A bigger engine (i see they do 125 cc) would be nice now I think about it but nice = price. Ah well. I'll see. Cheers all.

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125

Cool

I put a link up in my first post to one that has the right kind of idea in terms of appearance but that one has so far been shot down as being a migraine.
    That is correct - a migraine indeed. The reasoning behind my comment is where do you go for parts? service? information about it (ie: max loading weight, tech specs etc...)?

Feel free to buy it and I'm sure you will have many care-free motoring miles , but when it turns to custard (and chances are it will eventually) that is the moment where the headache begins...

Bike
    Suzuki UZ125
    Vino... 125cc all good, 50... very slow otherwise fine

Bike
    working on it....
    Ya I'm beginning to wonder about that more and more. I'm hopefully taking a test ride on a 50 tomorrow so I'll see how putty they really are but also I just can't seem to find any second hand 125s. Everyone's holding on to them I suppose. Is there some kind of second hand scooter magazine or do I just look in the generic car/boat/motorbike ones?

Bike
    Vespa 50s

Is this the sort of scooter you like?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-188800555.htm

That Cnell is a Chinese copy of either the Honda Joker, or the Aprilia Habana.

Bike
    working on it....
    Hmm yeah I'm liking the look of that. It has a bit more grunt too. They have a buy now of 2500 which to me seems like they're dreaming but I'll keep an eye on it and see how the auction runs. Thanks very much.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I did work at Henderson Yamaha. We had a JOG as a workshop hack. It was thrashed unmercilessly and would easily peg the 60k speedo. No mods at all and was very good for getting a few cases of Heinekin on a Friday arvo. I also rode both the BeeWee 100cc 2T and the Cygnus 125cc 4T. Both amazingly good scooters. The Cygnus was more refined than the BeeWee but they were similar in performance I thought. At the moment I am seriously considering buying a new Cygnus for the damned commute thing, Henderson to Glen Innes.

Bike
    1984 Honda Nifty Fifty (NQ50)
    Hmm yeah I'm liking the look of that. It has a bit more grunt too. They have a buy now of 2500 which to me seems like they're dreaming but I'll keep an eye on it and see how the auction runs. Thanks very much.
    You can ride a 50cc scooter on a learners car licence, it costs $40 per six months for a rego and you don't need a warrant of fitness.

The cheapest and newest scooter you can get that still looks slightly retro is one of these

If you get anything over 50cc but under 61cc, the rego cost is $171.81 per six months. If it's over 61cc then you are looking at $198.82, as well as the fact that you need your motorcycle licence (if you don't have it) and you also need to get a warrant of fitness on them.

Trust me if you aren't going huge distances and don't need SPEED, get a Honda Today, I know I would.

Bike
    working on it....
    Okay thanks for that I'll be sticking to mopeds for the next 6 months at least. Ya I've seen a few of those around and have considered them. But. I've found a place with a few different vinos for sale and some kind of honda, one of which i test drove. Only i forget what it was called. Meh well. It was italianish (couldnt read the fancy script) and possibly started with a g : ) What kind of mileage is high for a scooter anyone know? One that I was considering was around the year 2000 mark but had over 20000 kms clocked up on it. Is that high? Taking into account the trusty jog engine....
    Oh. And suzuki verdes. Any comment on them?

Bike
    1984 Honda Nifty Fifty (NQ50)
    I wouldn't buy anything over 30,000km if it looks like it's in rough condition however if it looks like it's been treated well, it's probably safe to get something that's 40K or 50K. "High mileage" as such is about 60,000. Go over that and you're taking a big risk.

Oh yeah don't know too much about those suzukis or what I am assuming was a Honda Joker... they have a pretty italian look to them! Those fancy scooters scare me, I don't trust them!

Thread Information