Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a scooter

Bike
    none

Looking at getting a scooter

I am looking at getting a 50cc scooter.Just got my learners yay. Just wondering what brands to stay away from and brands that are good. also any bit and pieces of advice you may have to offer.

Thanks

Bike
    A big one
    What do you want it for? Commuting, or something else?

Bike
    none

Just want a scooter to Commute around hamilton in

Bike
    1984 Honda Nifty Fifty (NQ50)
    I got a cheap 1986 honda nifty fifty off trademe for $500, seemed to be the going rate. Couple of days later, it seized, and the engine guy said it had been "patched up".

In short, don't buy something old, even if it's a good brand, unless you have the time and money to fix it when it breaks down.

How much do you have to spend? Don't go for cheap and nasty chinese built scooters, I can almost guarantee that if you need parts at any stage it will cost you an arm and a leg.

If you have the money, go with a known brand, maybe a Honda Today? They look pretty mint, they look to be selling for about $2000 on trademe.

If that's WAY out of your price range and are only looking to spend maybe 5 or 6 hundred or something, you won't get much for your money. My nifty fifty runs MINT after a full rebuild... and about $400 worth of screwing around with it.

Mopeds are fuckin worth it though - just got it re-registered for 6 months and it only cost me $40. cant complain with that, and the fact that $5 of gas gets me the same distance as $30 in my cage.

I am by no means an expert on scooters or engines, I am just relaying what bike guys who ARE in the know told me (i didnt listen to them) if you do find one online or something, post the link here and ill tell you what i think personally, but again I am by no means an expert on scooters OR engines. One thing though that I do thank my seized nifty fifty for - it's taught me all about how to repair a 2 stroke engine!

Oh yeah one more thing - if you think you've found something good, do a search on google for reviews, e.g. google "1986 nifty fifty review" and read away!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by skyla82 View Post
    Just want a scooter to Commute around hamilton in
    Oh yeah saw this on trademe the other day, might be of interest to you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-184355384.htm

It's always risky buying second hand. You don't know what life the scooter has had, if it's been abused or loved or anything like that. My recommendation is to buy new but if you really can't I highly recommend yamaha or honda, those two brands I trust alot. There is also plenty of support for these little scoots on the net if you ever run into trouble. If you do buy second hand, get a garage you trust to check it out for you if you don't know anyone who can have a look for you. I would if I knew about engines but yeah, I dont

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    I have one of these, seems to go ok for what it is. It's in the shop at the moment getting the final drive changed so it can go over 50k. Once thing I did notice was how small it is compared to new mopeds.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Buy the best you can afford.

Scootering is addictive - I have the choice of a Kawasaki 650, a Jaguar, a Crewman ute and a scooter... and most mornings I go to work on my scooter.

If you buy a good brand, you will get tens-of-thousands of fun kms out of it.

Stick with the better Jappas, Euros or the good Taiwanese bikes, and you won't look back.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vinnieh View Post
    I am by no means an expert on scooters or engines, I am just relaying what bike guys who ARE in the know told me (i didnt listen to them) if you do find one online or something, post the link here and ill tell you what i think personally, but again I am by no means an expert on scooters OR engines.
    Hmmm... So your not an expert and you don't want to listen to those in the know, how much can I value your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Buy the best you can afford.
    This is great advice, if you can buy new, buy it from a dealer. It then comes with a warranty and dealer back-up service.

Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    If you buy a good brand, you will get tens-of-thousands of fun kms out of it.

Stick with the better Jappas, Euros or the good Taiwanese bikes, and you won't look back.
    More helpful information here. Big brands are always a good choice (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, TGB, Vespa, Gilera etc...)

There is plenty of quality scooters available out in the second hand market. Just be prepared to ask questions and find out as much about it before making an informed decision.

Just before closing the deal, always get someone 'in the know' to look it over, test ride it. Most scooter shops would be happy to tell you it's all good, or it's a heap of shite. (Amazing what a friendly couple of beers can do to your local bike mechanic...)

Bike
    Suzuki UZ125
    Do yourself a favour, go to your local Yamaha and buy a JOG! failing that have a look at something like a Daelim Cordi or a SYM DD50 perhaps. Make the Jog your first choice though.. assuming you are buying new

Bike
    Sniff... None
    No advice on brands from me. I buy on emotion, I don't care if it spits the dummy cos I can afford to fix it. If you can't, then my suggestion (not advice) would be to buy a name brand.

My (limited) experience of 50cc scooters is that they are fast enough to get you into trouble, but not fast enough to get you out of trouble. i.e. car coming at you, you can't accelerate out of the way.

My 2c FWIW.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by UberRhys View Post
    Hmmm... So your not an expert and you don't want to listen to those in the know, how much can I value your opinion?
    I guess I should clarify - I DO listen to the experts now - previously I didn't and just bought a cheapy off trademe and paid the price - I wasnt actually saying that I never listen to experts

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Fuego View Post
    Do yourself a favour, go to your local Yamaha and buy a JOG! failing that have a look at something like a Daelim Cordi or a SYM DD50 perhaps. Make the Jog your first choice though.. assuming you are buying new
    The jog is a fine scooter, but it doesn't really deserve a glowing recommendation.

Actually, neither does the Cordi or the Sym...

Lots of gaps on the quoted website, not really a complete list at all...
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    How tall are you - some scooters are pretty tight for tall folks. IMO get a 2 stroke scooter - the 4 stroke ones are economicalbut gutless. Soome of the underseat storage areas are tight to take a helmet.

I tried a few scooters before buying mine, and my opinions are:
    Jog and Suzi AZ50 - might be good, but to small for me (and I wanted a pillion seat to take my boy on the back).
    Adly SF50 - went well and I liked it. handled well on 13" wheels, and a decent size. Gas filler is in the tailpiece, which will get in the way with a top box. Known as the Bug Jive IIRC in Australia if the NZ supplier goes through. $2200 new is good value, and easy to derestrict. lots of go fast bits. Probably would have got one of these if I hadn't got my Hyosung.
    Hyosung SB50 Supercab. Good value when they were under $2k new (now around 2200). Basic, but went well. Underseat storage wouldn't take my helmet.
    Kymco. Decent size, nicely made, restricted to hell - dies at 50 kph. To expensive for what you get IMO.

I bought a Hyosung SF50 Prima /fast/Rally second hand (1000km and $1500). like new, goes well, derestricton is easy, and the workshop manual is online. Really happy with it. Underseat storage takes my helmet.

There are a lot of Chinese rubbish out there that people are asking real money for. You might be lucky - there are a lot around, but quality is variable, and parts supply even more so. Some parts are interchangable or genereic but it is up to you to cross reference them.

Get a top box - very handy for commuting. I got a cheap one of Trademe from Cnell for my old scooter.
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Do not buy the cheapest. They are cheap for a reason.
    Get one that can keep up with traffic flow.
    Avoid buying one online, and from shops that sell furniture/whitegoods. There is no backup from these places.
    European/Jap/Korean your best option.
    Avoid Chinese. MHO

Bike
    Suzuki Fatboy
    Honda Dios/Giornos are quite good bang for buck.

Easy to find parts. First job is to bolt on a new unrestricted exhaust, and because you're in flat ol' Hamilton you won't need to do too much else...

Thread Information