Thread: Applying Rock Oil chain wax

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    I'll take that as a joke!
    If you must......

Bike
    -
    WD40 isn't bad at all on chains. You just need to lube it really often, say 250kms or less, as it doesn't last long.

I'm told a lot of offroad bikers use it, because it's not sticky so you won't get dirt and sand stuck to the chain causing trouble. Lube every ride.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
    WD40 isn't bad at all on chains. You just need to lube it really often, say 250kms or less, as it doesn't last long.
    I read an article with pics about the use of WD-40 on o-ring chains and the outcome wasn't favourable. WD-40 penetrates the o-rings and washes away the grease contained within. The pictures showed a really clean looking chain until it was split, which then revealed the rust inside the o-rings!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    -
    I read an article with pics about the use of WD-40 on o-ring chains and the outcome wasn't favourable. WD-40 penetrates the o-rings and washes away the grease contained within. The pictures showed a really clean looking chain until it was split, which then revealed the rust inside the o-rings!
    I've heard the same story, in the context that although some people think that, it's actually untrue. Somebody (the big boss?) of whoever makes WD40 was quoted as it not attacking rubber and being quite all right to use on O-ring chains; but then again, they would say that, wouldn't they

Anecdotally, I've used it extensively on my O-ring chain and it's still holding up very well after covering 3x the mileage my non-O-ring chain did, whatever that's worth.

Some interesting links:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397
    http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8987

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I can't find that article now and you have links with pics. Everyone knows you can't fight fire with water so I'll just fook off then.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the results of test where the o-rings were soaked in WD40 for a very long time, with absolutely no adverse affects at all.
    Anyway, all aerosol chain lubes contain solvents of some sort, to aid penetration and which evaporate quickly once the lube has got to where it's supposed to. Apparently, the o-rings or x-rings are only effective at keeping the lube inside the links for a relatively short time, so the advantage of 'ringed' chains over conventional is very short-lived.
    The thing about WD40 is it has minimal lubricating propertied, being very thin. It does have good water-dispersal properties though, and also helps to remove chain spooge from the chain, thus removing any abrasive particles embedded in or stuck to the spooge. WD40 is mostly Stoddard Solvent, which is basically refined kerosene. To say it rusts and wrecks chains is bollocks.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    XJR 1300
    please explain why you are using too a cold chain...i have always sprayed maxuim to my chain while its been warmed..?which i belive would generally allow it to spread more better..
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
    When I apply it in my gargre, it makes me giggly and light-headed too. Funny smelling stuff ^^
    I love that smell....feels like my happy pills....
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    please explain why you are using too a cold chain...i have always sprayed maxuim to my chain while its been warmed..?which i belive would generally allow it to spread more better..
    Supposedly. The hotness of the chain is supposed to allow the lube to penetrate more betterer and the solvents to evaporate more readily. Might be difficult to prove, but it makes sense.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    The can says "Rock Oil Chain WAX for o-ring, x-ring & standard chains".....?
    You sure its not a wax?
    My apologies. I've just noticed that Rock Oil does in fact do a Chain Wax as well.

I shall be ordering some in this very day.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Here is a similar article with an update at the end showing what WD-40 did to a bearing...
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Apparently, the o-rings or x-rings are only effective at keeping the lube inside the links for a relatively short time, so the advantage of 'ringed' chains over conventional is very short-lived.
    Actually modern o-rings and particularly x-rings have got much better at retaining their lube than o-rings of a few years ago... if looked after properly.

engine oil works fine too
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    My apologies. I've just noticed that Rock Oil does in fact do a Chain Wax as well.

Fooooooo thanks for that K'man - I was gonna go back and rip shit off'n them in the shop foe sellin' me crap. Lucky I was too lazy to do it today huh?......

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

Interested in what you and slofox think of it then. I reckon it's just lube, or else I have a wrongly branded cannister.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information