Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Applying Rock Oil chain wax

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    Here is a similar article with an update at the end showing what WD-40 did to a bearing...
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/
    I feel like I have wasted several hours of my life I wont get back after reading the link to the Yamaha FZ1 forum off that article.

It boils down to use what works for you, if you can get 20k out of a chain then its all good, however I would say dont use Golden Spectro, I had a can given to me and until then had been using a chain wax, this stuff in like grease in a can, tacky sticky stuff that seemed to attract the dirt, I will keep whats left for a spry on grease for oh door hinges and like but its not going near my bike again.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    engine oil works fine too
    I've got mountains of used engine oil lying around, frequent oil-change intervals and I wait until the yearly hazardous waste thing comes around to get rid of them. On some tips I saw on the net, I tried taking the chain off and boiling it in a pan filled with old engine oil. Actually worked a treat, oil stayed on there longer than many fancy aerosol chain lubes, didn't make such a horrible mess of the rear tyre, and the price is right, innit. However it's a pain in the tit to pull the chain off so frequently, and I harbour doubts about reusing that clip chain link again and again.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Then you need to use Spectro Chain wax - it smells really good, but not when you squirt it up your nose.
    Yeah the local bike shop used a bit of that spectro wax stuff on my chain when I got the tryes changed last week, pretty good I reckon, be on a par of perhaps even a little better than the Maxima chain wax i'm using now.

Your chain cleaning contraption looks pretty spot on too.

not toooo good on orings i'd imagine? boiling them that is
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    -
    not toooo good on orings i'd imagine? boiling them that is
    I'm not talking about boiling the shit out of it, just heating the oil so it's hot.

It's supposed to be quite good with an old tired O-ring chain, as behind many of the O-rings, the lube has long gone. So when you're heating the chain in the oil, you get some oil to penetrate behind the O-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
    I'm not talking about boiling the shit out of it, just heating the oil so it's hot.

It's supposed to be quite good with an old tired O-ring chain, as behind many of the O-rings, the lube has long gone. So when you're heating the chain in the oil, you get some oil to penetrate behind the O-rings.
    cos thats what you do for normal old school non oring chains, no one really dose it anymore?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    -
    cos thats what you do for normal old school non oring chains, no one really dose it anymore?
    Not really. Too messy in the kitchen and too much of a pain in the arse to take the chain off.

On a related note, I was planning to build a chain oiler, until I got distracted by insurance claims and car bonnets. Better off without an O-ring chain in that situation. Cheaper and more convenient in all ways.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    Interested in what you and slofox think of it then. I reckon it's just lube, or else I have a wrongly branded cannister.
    Will let you know when I use it - chain just been done at 6k service.......with something that is now all over the tyre....ngngngngng

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    You used that stuff yet slofox?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Will let you know when I use it - chain just been done at 6k service.......with something that is now all over the tyre....ngngngngng
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    You used that stuff yet slofox?
    Come on man, it's been nearly 8 years. Can't expect me to wait much more surely?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Well, hell, that is a while ago.

Short answer is yes I have used it. Many times. With good results and very little fling onto the tyres etc. What is it?
    Rockoil chain WAX. Wax, not lube.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    First chain on the T1200 lasted 16k. Fitted a scott oiler 2nd chain lasted 84k.

I had to stop using chain wax on my shiny metal ass, as it made my eyes water.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Thread Information