Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: American wandering New Zealand

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

indoctrinated already.....

4 days in the country, and I'm already in the police system....speeding ticket last night following another KBer. He got tagged in front of me, and trying to be a law abiding citizen in a new country, and a gracious guest to my host, I also pulled over when the cop pulled out behind both of us.....sat there waiting while he was writing the ticket for my host.....then he walked over and gave me one

Lesson learned.....keep going?

Traveling to Coromandel region tomorrow and then down the East Coast on my way to Welly and the S. Island. Hope to cross before Christmas and tour the S. Island Jan and early February. Want to thank all those extending hospitable offers. If I miss you folks on the N. Island on my down this time, I'll be back around to say hello and see the N. Island more thoroughly during or after my locum in Welligton.

Cheers,
    Pete

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

Coromandel town

The ride over today was unbelievably beautiful....the bright sunny day helped. Will post some pics in the next day or two.

Eternally grateful to my Auckland hosts. They made me feel at home, helped me get the bike ready to go, took me for a few rides. I felt like I was leaving folks this am I have known a lot longer than 5 days. I know their philosophy is to pay forward the kindness they shared, and I will, but I hope I can repay them directly some day....awesome folks.

Bike
    Sold
    You could have waited and used our 'pooter, haha. Suppose you're chatting up the local chicks in town

Bike
    FOR SALE

Mr & Mrs Busa Pete + The 4 Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by the vet View Post
    The ride over today was unbelievably beautiful....the bright sunny day helped. Will post some pics in the next day or two.

Eternally grateful to my Auckland hosts. They made me feel at home, helped me get the bike ready to go, took me for a few rides. I felt like I was leaving folks this am I have known a lot longer than 5 days. I know their philosophy is to pay forward the kindness they shared, and I will, but I hope I can repay them directly some day....awesome folks.
    Good to hear you had a great day for the start of your epic journey take care don't forget to take it all in.
    RIDE FOR THE CONDITIONS WHEN THEY CHANGE INCREASE YOUR SPEED

Bike
    Nice to meet you Pete, good luck with the travels

Bike
    Sold
    Pete has just left our place to go offroad to the northern tip of the Coro Peninsula and plans to camp overnight at Fletchers Bay. He's back tomorrow morning and will then continue his wanderings down the east coast and East Cape itself en route to Wellington.

Pete's a top guy, really great company so if anyone wants to offer a feed or a bed down his route, you won't be disappointed.

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

Coromandel

The Coromandel peninsula is stunning. Blue water, lush green hillsides, the bush just meters from the beach.....Coromandel town was cool. Quaint, a little 'hippy', quiet....I really liked it. Blackbird and Mrs. were superb hosts to me...and once again, I am sincerely grateful and fortunate to have met them, the two cats, and today, their daughter. They have an awesome view from the deck of the house....seems to be common in my NZ experience so far.

Ventured up the the Northern tip of the peninsula. The roads in good condition, but narrow and windy with blind corners and cars coming at me much of the way up. Camped for the night at Fletchers Bay. Ate 3 meals of smoked fish, Blackbirds homemade bread and apples. Did a total of about 4 hours hiking yesterday and feel whipped today after the ride and a rough sleep in hard ground last night. Tomorrow I invest in a sleeping pad....I stick it in the space on the inside of my luggage rack that busapete thought would make for a good false exhaust storage tube. Began south along the East coast today and find myself in Whangamata. The place is deserted right now, but I'm told 50,000 holiday revelers will soon be here...glad I have it to myself now. A couple days here to surf and tramp (Wentworth Falls), then off again. The bike and luggage configuration working well...can't complain. Will try to do some pics here. They will be in order of my trip, from AKL, off at Manurewa, through Clevedon, Thames, to Coromandel town, up to Fletchers Bay.

Stopped at a farmers market on the way to Coromandel for some fresh bread and mussel fritters

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coroamandel view.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	113326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old red barns.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	113327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fresh bread.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	113328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West side coromandel.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	113329  

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

more pics from Coromandel

More pics of the Coromandel leg

Name:	Coromandel warning.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	113330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road to the top.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	113331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wee by the water.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	113332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pohutukawa.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	113333  

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

...a few more

First two photos from my tramp above Fletchers bay. We'll call the trees with red blooms "the trees that I can't pronounce"...pohutukawa??? is that right.

The following is Blackbirds cat Henry perched on the deck railing with the beautiful view in the background, and the Wee strom parked after the first leg of the journey.

Pete

hmmm, seems photos did not post...may be out of internet MB usage

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

try again

here we go....as above

that's better

Name:	Fletcher bay hike.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	113334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fletcher Bay Pohutukawa.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	113335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry on the deck.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	113336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wee at the James'.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	113337  

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the vet View Post
    First two photos from my tramp above Fletchers bay. We'll call the trees with red blooms "the trees that I can't pronounce"...pohutukawa??? is that right.

Pohutukawa is right. Colloquially the New Zealand Christmas Tree. The true meaning of coastal summer holidays for most kiwis!
    (Stunning photos by the way.)
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    FOR SALE

Mr & Mrs Busa Pete + The 4 Dogs

Hay Where the hell is this wonder gone we are waiting for up date mate. Hate to think you have gone and got yourself lost.
    RIDE FOR THE CONDITIONS WHEN THEY CHANGE INCREASE YOUR SPEED

Bike
    2007 CB900

Down in welly soon

Contacted me to say down here around 21/12 .... offered bed am waiting for more contact and details.
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

In Palmerstown North...

Decided to abandon the coast. Had to thank kickingzebra for his help, so went through Hamilton, then down to Te kitui (sp?) last night, then down to Palmerstown N. in the rain today. Feeling some urgency to get to the South Island and have things I need to do before the holiday (tyres and submission of work permit application) in Wellington. Shot through the rest of the North Island, but will be back for a more thorough tour during or after my locum in Welly. Will catch up with Nasty tomorrow. Will post a more thorough report and more pics (lost gold mines, wild boars, late night backpackers and unsociable germans......) when I have more internet time.

Good news is I stayed dry on the inside all day today, and the bike running flawlessly. Now off to the Pub! I've been living in a tent for 3 days....got to get out!

Bike
    '05 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Blog Entries

moving this report to a blog

Based on some sound advice from Klingon and Nasty, I've taken the report to a blog. I'll note updates to the blog in this thread, and continue to use it for other pertinent info, but the tale and photos will be at the blog here:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/bl...p?userid=19532

I am still trying to work out embedding photos in the blog, for now I can only do links...will work on it..

Moving on to the South Island for Christmas. No real itinerary, but based on local advice will watch the weather patterns and head to the West when and if the winds are from the south and the weather looking more clear....just plodding along. Will be 6 weeks or so in the South Island, so email or PM me if anyone down would like to catch up for a beer or a ride.

Thanks a bunch to Nasty for her hospitality and help here in Wellington.

Thread Information