Thread: Washing Textile

Bike
    2015 S1000RR

Washing Textile

I did a search, but didnt actually find anything. All I want to know is what do you wash Textile jackets etc in. How do you get the tar/crap/bugs off?
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Judderbar
    I did a search, but didnt actually find anything. All I wat to know is what do you wash Textile jackets etc in. How do you get the tar/crap/bugs off?
    Not only that, but can you wash leathers???

Bike
    Some jackets are machine washable - Remember though that once you wash it, you will need to spray it with some of that silicone water guard or a similar product to make sure it is waterproof again. It should say something about washing on the labels inside the jacket, but if you cant find that, you could try a sponge with warm, soapy water and wash it that way, trying not to get the fabric too wet.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.

I use a product called Sport Wash by Sno Seal - it's an American product. It's a clear liquid. You only need a little bit. Some bike shops sell it, and Motomail does also. Costs about $20 for a bottle but it lasts for ages.

Take out all the stuff from your pockets, take out all removable armour and linings. I put a little bit of warm water in the bath, and add a little bit of Sport Wash. Put the jacket in the water and swill around. I put a little bit of the Sport Wash on the dirty parts (eg shoulders, forearms) and gently scrub with a softish nail brush. Amazing how dirty the water gets. Sometimes I do the real dirty bits twice.

Rinse well, then hang to dry.

This has prompted me to realise that it's about time our jackets got done again...

If you have any trouble finding the stuff let me know and I'll get you some.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    Not only that, but can you wash leathers???
    Yes you can wash leathers, just dont put them into the washing machine.

Use saddle soap or liquid soap and apply it with a sponge. Rub it well into the leather. Wash the lining with water and a cold water washing powder, and rinse the lining well afterwards. Allow to dry slowly. Hang it for a day or two in a warm dry dry place, but not in direct sunlight. Once dry treat it with beeswax and your leathers will be waterproof and like new.
    Time to ride

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Blair

I use a product called Sport Wash by Sno Seal - it's an American product. It's a clear liquid. You only need a little bit. Some bike shops sell it, and Motomail does also. Costs about $20 for a bottle but it lasts for ages.

Take out all the stuff from your pockets, take out all removable armour and linings. I put a little bit of warm water in the bath, and add a little bit of Sport Wash. Put the jacket in the water and swill around. I put a little bit of the Sport Wash on the dirty parts (eg shoulders, forearms) and gently scrub with a softish nail brush. Amazing how dirty the water gets. Sometimes I do the real dirty bits twice.

Rinse well, then hang to dry.

This has prompted me to realise that it's about time our jackets got done again...

If you have any trouble finding the stuff let me know and I'll get you some.
    Yup, thats about it...

You need to use the stuff that good quality climbing jackets etc are washed with. It is usually a liquid and the advantage (I think) is that it does not have the phospour packing that washing powder does. (gets stuck in the weave and wicks water through)

Some jackets need a fluff up in the drier as well to restore the fibres.

Not all jackets (esp breathable ones) require the spray with waterproofer but IMHO it does more good than harm.

If your jacket is a reasonable quality one then it will either have instructions on their web site OR a place to contact them to ask questions.

Paul N

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks Lynda - will have to get some Sportwash. Does anyone have any knowledge of a spray-on proofing agent which you then have to iron or tumble dry for maximum effectiveness? I forget the name. My Teknics cordura jacket has always been iffy and I'm looking for a good waterproofer.

Geoff

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    Thanks Lynda - will have to get some Sportwash. Does anyone have any knowledge of a spray-on proofing agent which you then have to iron or tumble dry for maximum effectiveness? I forget the name. My Teknics cordura jacket has always been iffy and I'm looking for a good waterproofer.
    Geoff - I recently used the SnoSeal waterproofing stuff (heat-activated polymer) you're talking about, and I was VERY disappointed at the results. My Teknic jacket was LESS waterproof afterwards, and parts of it actually sucked up water. Given that I followed the directions explicitly (although the temperature that heat-activation occurs at was very vague), and it was fookin expensive ($39/bottle), I was REALLY pissed off. First rainstorm I went in was only a couple of days after I did it, and it leaked badly. So, I even repeated the heating process, getting the jacket very hot in the dryer, as the label said that the polymer could be "reactivated" by doing so. Made no difference. "Heat-activated polymer", my arse. Heat-activated waste of money, more like.

I dunno whether the heating process fucked up the textile or what, but in the end I bought a couple of cans of Scotchgard silicon spray (the one for waterproofing outdoor gear) and used that. I've used it before many times and it works really well. Plus it's only about $8 at the supermarket, and one can will do a jacket (be very liberal, and do it twice).
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks Vifferman - that's the stuff. Will stay well clear - appreciate the input. I'll keep an eye out for the Scotchguard. I've used the Selleys fabric proofer but the results are a bit variable, so can't lose anything by having a go with Scotchguard proofer

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    Thank you everyone, I will get some of the Sports Wash product.
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    what if you don't have a bath to dunk it in..??

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    what if you don't have a bath to dunk it in..??
    Dunk what in? :spudwhat: The jacket?
    Use the laundry tub (it's easier on the back anyway). Alternatively, just bung it in your washing machine (or someone else's). I usually wash my jacket in the the tub or the machine, but it got washed last time in the bath (and rinsed in the shower) only because the vifferbabe decided it needed a wash and decided it WAS GOING TO BE WASHED IN THE BATHTUB, even when I tried to talk her out of it.
    However, my back was fine, because she did the washing.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    It is a bit hard on the old back leaning over the bath, but the benefit of the bath over the laundry tub is that you can lay the jacket out flat - I find it easier to work on it like that - especially since I do two at a time (yes, I also clean Hamish's.....)

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Thread Information