Page 1126 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 1266261026107611161124112511261127112811361176122616262126 ... LastLast
Results 16,876 to 16,890 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    So whats the go with Dutch Fisher then. Coming on here and slinging shit at Frits over historical issues that i then expand on somewhat, with facts I know are accurate as I was actually there at the time, and he goes deathly silent on the subject. Frits ignores it completely, that probably gives the posting the recognition it deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Good one, was wondering what was going to happen with this. I, like many others I am sure, read his post with amazement and confusion as to what he was on about.
    I was under the impression that Dutch Fisher's comment was written tongue-in-cheek, so I did not take offence. I did try to guess who he is, if maybe I know him.
    Is he really a fellow countryman? I'm sure he is grinning at all this, whoever he is. Maybe he will raise the vail now?
    Anyway, Wayne and Ken, thanks for standing up for me.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    , and if you dare to continue with this crap then I for one will be asking the administrators to tell you to fuck off forever
    Hmm.
    I for one enjoyed the amusing tounge in cheek post.

Bike
    TZ400
    I think Jans translated comments are a little off base in that yes Bartols cylinder design he was working on when at Yamaha with the 125 race team were
    very Honda - ish, in that it dumped the twin boost ports ( a good thing ) but went to a T port ( not so flash ).
    His cylinder was quite alot faster than the 125 teams factory versions at the time, but Yamaha management would not allow the team to use them in racing.
    Bartol may have used a Honda port mould, but he had access to a Czech machine ( very probably Cees ),as did Askland, and it was the results from this work,staring them in the face, that forced Yamahas hand to finally buy one and learn
    how to interpret the results.
    In Y2K year the Yamaha tech director told me that they could now predict the power delivery from a cylinder purely from the scavenging pattern shown on the Czech machine
    and they had quit using a dyno to tailor the powerband for the 250 project.
    Also that he was very grateful that management had insisted they use the spool powervalve, as they were acutely aware of the fact they could be seen to be "copying" the Honda
    and Aprilia by going square bore/stroke and wanted to retain corporate " face " by using something very Yamaha - ish, and it just happened to work a treat.
    I, as are many people, admire alot of Harolds work,but the proof is in the numbers, and Jan destroyed his dyno results at Derby, and then the KTM as stunning as it was in execution, was
    hamstrung by odd decisions - the pipes being a good example.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    I think Jans translated comments are a little off base in that yes Bartols cylinder design he was working on when at Yamaha with the 125 race team were
    very Honda - ish, in that it dumped the twin boost ports ( a good thing ) but went to a T port ( not so flash ).
    His cylinder was quite alot faster than the 125 teams factory versions at the time, but Yamaha management would not allow the team to use them in racing.
    Bartol may have used a Honda port mould, but he had access to a Czech machine ( very probably Cees ),as did Askland, and it was the results from this work,staring them in the face, that forced Yamahas hand to finally buy one and learn
    how to interpret the results.
    In Y2K year the Yamaha tech director told me that they could now predict the power delivery from a cylinder purely from the scavenging pattern shown on the Czech machine
    and they had quit using a dyno to tailor the powerband for the 250 project.
    Also that he was very grateful that management had insisted they use the spool powervalve, as they were acutely aware of the fact they could be seen to be "copying" the Honda
    and Aprilia by going square bore/stroke and wanted to retain corporate " face " by using something very Yamaha - ish, and it just happened to work a treat.
    I, as are many people, admire alot of Harolds work,but the proof is in the numbers, and Jan destroyed his dyno results at Derby, and then the KTM as stunning as it was in execution, was
    hamstrung by odd decisions - the pipes being a good example.
    I can't comment,as only posted what i had seen and what i thought was the Fishers intent, but with regards to design often similar solutions are arrived at because they represent the best solution anyway.
    I just happened to have a word document open as i was looking for a quote from either Jan or Frits regarding Balance shafts. Then i noticed the one about the Honda, Yamaha,Bartol.
    None of which I thought was derogatory, just a general observation.

With regards to balance shafts I am pretty Sure Both Frits and Jan favour them.
    (Forgive me if I paraphrase from memory) The balancing of a crankshaft to whatever magic factor/figure with he counterweights, does not balance the engine. It only just moves the vibration it to someewhere else in the rev range less of a nusience or something like that. (remember Paraphrase from memory)
    Pretty sure the reason a lot of Balance shafts may cost power (in some situations) is more to do with oil drag brought about by a poor choice of location (RSW125 this seems to be the case my own observation likely a Rotax carry over)
    Often referred to as windage (oil is 600 times denser than air)
    Frits 50cc design 'the balnce shaft high mounted with sealed bearings out of the way of oil(Maybe even under a vacum )
    My take is an engine construction is. if it is designed with a balance shaft, The engine design then can be made lighter (ie thinner wall thickness cases etc), also the balance shaft is also a potentially a convenient location to drive ancilleries such as water pumps. Maybe even a stator

Personally i like the older style Husaberg balancer, that is almost disk valve like in appearance, Very clever and very original.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80030057100-1_pu.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	309410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	husaberg_650_engine.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	309411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_12_11_bikepics-2712780-800.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	309412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_08_03_bikepics-2687334-800.jpg 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	309413
    Well first time i had seen it but it might be stream engine technology for all I know. Not that much is really new now.

I had a giggle the other day looking at a 1923 TT racebike (Works Douglas) Picture.
    It had a very modern appearing front disk brake. With a caliper that was very much like a mornern cable operated Mountain bike caliper only finned.

Name:	douglas-sidecar-outfit-750.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	309418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6126254433_3f0525deae_b.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	309417
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    Hi guys, Does anyone seen cylinder like this? (I hope Frits know something about this one) Is this some early rotax , or "home made " one? It's fitted in 51,6 stroke engine.

Here are pictures http://imgur.com/a/Sf6Pb

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets

Lots of 2T cylinder sleeving and Interesting workshop projects:- http://forums.everything2stroke.com/...he-Shop/page46

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Just finishing reading Stan Stephens book, an autobiography it makes good reading. You won't pick up any tuning tips but that's not the point. There were a few bad words said about him a couple of hundred pages back here but I think they were unfounded. He's about 70 now & his success was earned from tuning production bikes within std parts restrictions. Mostly through serious hours on the dyno & fair play to that.

In your own book you do get the ability to paint things of your story without right of reply, but it does sound like he got spun up by a few of his employees effectively feathering their pockets. He's got a col in Cl Mtrcyc Mechanics mag & does some interesting projects like a large RZ500 with 350 barrels & currently a V6 RZ of some huge capacity. An entertaining writer, if probably by his own admission stuck in the 80s. But they weren't such bad years. And his CV of championships for supported riders makes for a hard stack to follow, at least at national & club level.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    razor scooter(pink)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muciek View Post
    Hi guys, Does anyone seen cylinder like this? (I hope Frits know something about this one) Is this some early rotax , or "home made " one? It's fitted in 51,6 stroke engine.

Here are pictures http://imgur.com/a/Sf6Pb
    Either home made or more likely all the rotax logos ground off .

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Muciek View Post
    Hi guys, Does anyone seen cylinder like this? (I hope Frits know something about this one) Is this some early rotax , or "home made " one? It's fitted in 51,6 stroke engine. Here are pictures http://imgur.com/a/Sf6Pb
    Quote Originally Posted by 2T Institute View Post
    Either home made or more likely all the rotax logos ground off .
    I don't know the engine but cylinder and head are clearly Rotax-inspired like 2T-I says. The cases look like CZ or Minarelli and the carb is a czech Jikov, which would point towards Eastern Europe .

Bike
    BMW R1200R 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I can't comment,as only posted what i had seen and what i thought was the Fishers intent, but with regards to design often similar solutions are arrived at because they represent the best solution anyway.
    I just happened to have a word document open as i was looking for a quote from either Jan or Frits regarding Balance shafts. Then i noticed the one about the Honda, Yamaha,Bartol.
    None of which I thought was derogatory, just a general observation.

With regards to balance shafts I am pretty Sure Both Frits and Jan favour them.
    (Forgive me if I paraphrase from memory) The balancing of a crankshaft to whatever magic factor/figure with he counterweights, does not balance the engine. It only just moves the vibration it to someewhere else in the rev range less of a nusience or something like that. (remember Paraphrase from memory)
    Pretty sure the reason a lot of Balance shafts may cost power (in some situations) is more to do with oil drag brought about by a poor choice of location (RSW125 this seems to be the case my own observation likely a Rotax carry over)

Frits 50cc design 'the balnce shaft high mounted with sealed bearings out of the way of oi
    l(Maybe even under a vacum )
    My take is an engine construction is. if it is designed with a balance shaft, The engine design then can be made lighter (ie thinner wall thickness cases etc), also the balance shaft is also a potentially a convenient location to drive ancilleries such as water pumps. Maybe even a stator

Personally i like the older style Husaberg balancer, that is almost disk valve like in appearance, Very clever and very original.

Name:	80030057100-1_pu.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	309410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	husaberg_650_engine.jpg 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	309411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_12_11_bikepics-2712780-800.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	309412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_08_03_bikepics-2687334-800.jpg 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	309413
    Well first time i had seen it but it might be stream engine technology for all I know. Not that much is really new now.

I had a giggle the other day looking at a 1923 TT racebike (Works Douglas) Picture.
    It had a very modern appearing front disk brake. With a caliper that was very much like a mornern cable operated Mountain bike caliper only finned.

Name:	douglas-sidecar-outfit-750.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	309418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6126254433_3f0525deae_b.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	309417

Husaberg, to which design of Frits are you referring ?

I like the husaberg balancer, it is a shame that KTM dropped it when they took over husaberg.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1962 View Post
    Husaberg, to which design of Frits are you referring ?

I like the husaberg balancer, it is a shame that KTM dropped it when they took over husaberg.
    Not sure what he calls it ? Frits?
    He mentioned it earlier here on ese but I can't find the post. It was in relation to the use of sealed bearings.
    The Balancer I thought was nifty, The Water pump in the head on the earlier models not so much........
    From what I understand the bearings for the balancers have to be made now, as the size is unobtainable. (must have been a Honda idea)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I don't know the engine but cylinder and head are clearly Rotax-inspired like 2T-I says. The cases look like CZ or Minarelli and the carb is a czech Jikov, which would point towards Eastern Europe .
    Yes, engine is CZ typ. 516 converted to rotary valve and jikov carb.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Had an interesting few evenings this week playing with a small bike on the dyno. The interesting bit was watching the exhaust pipe extending 10-15mm against the retaining springs as the rpm approached peak torque and the internal pipe pressure was at its maximum. Then as the internal pipe pressure dropped the springs would pull the pipe back in for a bit of over rev.

With two springs this effect could be made to happen in two stages. I even figured out a very easy way to adjust the spring tension on the fly to tailor when and how far the pipe would slid out and back.

After peak torque the pipe would pull back in as the rpm approached peak power. I can't help thinking this trombone effect could be made to be useful in some way.

With a fixed pipe the useable power spread looked to be about 4,500 rpm with a power curve that was flat for maybe 2,000rpm. I am not sure how much the sliding pipe could be made to extend that but when I get time it sure looks worth investigating it a bit more.

Bike
    Simson S51 Evolution

KX 500 mistreated

No surprise that a 500ccm engine does not give more power than a 125ccm gp engine if the cylinder is mistreated like this. "The power valve ports are slightly smaller...." So why using a 500ccm engine if you don`t let it breathe? unbelievable...
    WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR AND HULK HOGAN DESTROY YOU!!!!

Bike
    Honda NS-1 / Gas Gas EC-125
    The man can know a lot and make a perfect hone with is eyes closed, but damn, its like killing cylinders, tiny ports :/

Thread Information