Page 1187 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1876871087113711771185118611871188118911971237128716872187 ... LastLast
Results 17,791 to 17,805 of 39424

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    In 1962 Suzuki even gave the B-port (there were only two A-transfer ports and one B-port) the same timing as the exhaust port.
    Attachment 312434

Neil, the engine in the kart frame is the engine; nothing taken down or conceiled.
    I have seen comments about me keeping my hand over the spark plug in one of the pictures. The simple reason was that I hadn't been in a kart for a long time and I tried to program my mind into remembering where the spark plug was, so I wouldn't ram my elbow against it.
    Attachment 312435
    I know, we are only guessing.
    When I was building my Uniflow engine ( the one in the jet boat ) I needed to extend the oil capacity of the gearbox so I machined up a cylindrical housing and bolted it onto the gearbox. It was late and I taped the filler hole 12 x 1.25 without thinking, bugger could not find a bung to fit so I used a sparkplug. Well from that day on it seemed everyone that viewed the engine focused on that cylinder and spark plug as if it was something special to the way the engine worked ( I even put a lead on it in the end ). Nevermind that the real sparkplugs were in the centre of the engine. I remember thinking if I had something to hide then a red herring like this would be a good side track. So now I see red herrings everywhere, I don't even like fish.

Bike
    TZ400
    Well here is what is easily possible with this cylinder - all the ports are widened and lifted ( except the boost port ) and the stagger
    increased to help widen the power spread ( no PV ),and raised peak power to 13500.
    This keeps the Ex timing in the range for good superposition resonance tuning as well to help with no PV.
    Lots of detail in the mods, and that would need a full sim run in EngMod, ( like duct exit area etc ) but that doesnt happen for nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M50 STA -4.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	312439  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by adegnes View Post
    I guess what I'm really asking is where to go from here... The more I read, the more I feel whatever I modify is just a shot in the dark... "stop whining and just buy engmod already" is an acceptable answer.
    EngMod2T ... it is a good answer if you can, not only do you get a proper guide to engine design from the blowdown and port STA's.

But being able to watch the wave action of the pipe and be able to make adjustments to the pipe design that gets the max depression swinging around BDC for the best power spread before you even start cutting metal is pure gold.

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    Changing the subject from Ryger engine and little Rsa cylinder, here's brand new Rz500

http://izismile.com/2015/05/27/a_30_...l_12_pics.html

Anybody can share some stories of racing or tuning this one?

Bike
    89 KX500

EngMod2T

Is there a support forum for EngMod2T? Am I looking at it now? Seems like a steep learning curve without some clues as to what's important, and what's not.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by cotswold View Post
    Here is a picture of the Ryger cylinder. Explains it all. LOL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryger-VM cylinder 01.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	312440 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryger-VM cylinder 02.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	312441
    Yep, this is the cylinder, and here is what Harry Ryger wrote:
    Engine check today after numerous testruns, including the testrun by Frits Overmars.
    No carbon build up on the piston at all, no wear of the cylinder wall. All bearings within the nominal dimension. We’re happy !

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    Ryger thoughts;
    What if there is a ring shaped secondary pumping piston,guided by a long cylinder skirt and case walls,running opposite direction of the combustion piston,perhaps driven by eccentrics on the crank wheels.Bottom end could be oil bathed ,4T type piston(oil control ring at bottom of skirt),FOS annular transfer ports..Maybe Ive had a few too many drinks tonight...

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Is it just me, or does it look like the piston is quite a long way down the barrel with no ports yet opening?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    Is it just me, or does it look like the piston is quite a long way down the barrel with no ports yet opening?
    Carefully posed i'd say, camera angle and depth of focus included.

The apparently known givens appear to be (note all the qualifications...) that it still has a functioning exhaust port and pipe as normal 2 stroke so the exhaust port still has to open somewhere around half stroke. That there is what appears to be a carburettor on the upper of what would look like two intake reed housings...If the lower has been made into a dedicated 24/7 intake, the returns would appear to be better than expected. Bonus points there Frits...
    The "puke tank" as someone called it may possibly indicate a plain bearing lower end - which would certainly help the big end live - but which would indicate it may be running without crankcase compression...At this point I'd remind us of Mr Thiel's conclusion that it was only what was in the transfers that made it into the cylinder...Maybe the crankcase pulses are one side of a comprex style pressure wave supercharger ?
    conclusion - I have no real idea....waiting like the rest of you.

But husa, forget the scotch crank, no way would one live at those revs.

Bike
    zuma50
    Is this Ryger engine legal for racing in the 125 kart class?

If that is a pic of a piston with some time on it, I would hazzard a guess water is involved somehow.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Carefully posed i'd say, camera angle and depth of focus included.

The apparently known givens appear to be (note all the qualifications...) that it still has a functioning exhaust port and pipe as normal 2 stroke so the exhaust port still has to open somewhere around half stroke. That there is what appears to be a carburettor on the upper of what would look like two intake reed housings...If the lower has been made into a dedicated 24/7 intake, the returns would appear to be better than expected. Bonus points there Frits...
    The "puke tank" as someone called it may possibly indicate a plain bearing lower end - which would certainly help the big end live - but which would indicate it may be running without crankcase compression...At this point I'd remind us of Mr Thiel's conclusion that it was only what was in the transfers that made it into the cylinder...Maybe the crankcase pulses are one side of a comprex style pressure wave supercharger ?
    conclusion - I have no real idea....waiting like the rest of you.

But husa, forget the scotch crank, no way would one live at those revs.
    Putting aside the comprex.

if one was to put the ex port low and the transfers above it you could have uni flow take full advantage of the kadencey
    The ex port would be open only during the initial part of the compression phase.
    but how?
    One way would be by having a two sided cupped piston.
    The bore would be formed by the inside dimensions of the top portion of the cupped piston
    the lower half would be thinner walled so it would be able to provide an above atmospheric pressure say by 40%.
    The cylinder head needs to be able to modified to accommodate the reversed skirt at tdc
    The crankshaft would need to be able to provide only up and down movement
    With no side thrust it would also have to be able to be isolated from the crankcase,with a round rod for simple sealing a rombic drive or a cross head or a scotch yoke all do this.
    With a linkage rod system dwell can be designed in where ever it is needed or conversely dialled out where it is not wanted.
    heat transfer will be better as there is no gudgeon in the piston.
    The cylinder seal would be better as there is no side thrust.
    Friction would also be reduced

Re the revs no Greg according to the stuff I have seen not only will a scotch yoke do all this it will also operate efficiently at stratospheric revs.

In fact a company in Aussie have been developing and have spent over 35 million dollars playng with them with excellent results for years.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0948
    I am unsure now if what I have seen is the actual Ryger or not now, but this is a very crude rendition of what I have been playing with before I even knew anything of the Ryger.
    It is based on the burke and something I seen in the KG Draper 2 stroke design and tuning.
    You will need to use you imagination a bit as I draw shit and have left some features out and glossed over a few others.
    The ports are uncovered buy windows and slots cut into the piston skirt.

Name:	cupped piston engine uniflow.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	312447
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Well here is what is easily possible with this cylinder - all the ports are widened and lifted ( except the boost port ) and the stagger
    increased to help widen the power spread ( no PV ),and raised peak power to 13500.
    This keeps the Ex timing in the range for good superposition resonance tuning as well to help with no PV.
    Lots of detail in the mods, and that would need a full sim run in EngMod, ( like duct exit area etc ) but that doesnt happen for nothing.
    Thank you pnce again great sir!

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    EngMod2T ... it is a good answer if you can, not only do you get a proper guide to engine design from the blowdown and port STA's.

But being able to watch the wave action of the pipe and be able to make adjustments to the pipe design that gets the max depression swinging around BDC for the best power spread before you even start cutting metal is pure gold.
    I'll start saving up for it!

Bike
    variety
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Peewee, you might know this, but don't ever clean up an aluminum casting by glass-bead-blasting if you plan on welding on it, or if you do, go over the to-be-welded area with a rotary file and skim off a little metal. Some of the glass bead will imbed itself in aluminum, and will drive a welder nuts; you can see the shiny bits under some magnification. Piston ring manufacturers have put out bulletins warning against cleaning up old pistons with glass-bead. (Have I said this here previously? Probably several times!).
    did you say you were a welder ? i cant remember. if you are i could use some pointers. this thing is testing my patience. soon as you lite up on it you get black shit in the puddle and it all goes down hill from there. grind the top with carbide bur then a dremel with stainless steel wire wheel then wipe with acetone is what i been doing and it helps alittle but not much. alot of what i welded had to come back out as it was so contaminated. 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps back. did make alittle progress but its a slow go. out of argon so im done for a few days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150530_223852.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	312450  

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wiechman View Post
    Is there a support forum for EngMod2T? Am I looking at it now? Seems like a steep learning curve without some clues as to what's important, and what's not.
    I am not sure if there is a dedicated forum, but a few people on here are familiar with it and if you get a copy then I expect you will get all the help here that you need.

EngMod2T is broken up into a number of separate programs and at first I found it confusing, but you use them in order, 1st develop the engine model - 2nd simulate the engines performance - 3rd review the results. Obvious really and it becomes simple to use when you get your head around it and there are already some useful engine files like TZ250, RS125, RZ350 etc that you can practice on and cannibalise for your own motor.

Name:	EngMod2T.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	312453

EngMod2T has three main sections. and you use them in order.

1, Dat2T is where you enter the data that describes the motor and pipe.
    2, 2T is run next and uses the Dat2T data to simulate the motors performance.
    3, Post2T is where you get to select and graph the simulated results.

Movie2T is for viewing the wave action in the pipe. The pressure waves inside the motor can be viewed while the simulation is running. There is a Turbo and Compressor section that I have not ventured into yet.

Anyway if you can, get your own copy, its worth hours and hours of saved time and money.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    I am not sure if there is a dedicated forum, but a few people on here are familiar with it and if you get a copy then I expect you will get all the help here that you need.

At first I found it confusing because EngMod2T is broken up into a number of separate programs , you use them in order, 1 develop the engine model - 2 simulate the engines performance - 3 review the results. It becomes simple to use when you get your head around it and there are already some useful engine files like TZ250, RS125, RZ350 etc that you can cannibalise for your own motor.

Name:	EngMod2T.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	312453

EngMod2T has three main sections. and you use them in order.

Dat2T is where you enter the data that describes the motor and pipe.
    2T is run next and uses the Dat2T data to simulate the motors performance.
    Post2T is where you get to look at the simulated results.

Movie2T is for viewing the wave action in the pipe. The pressure waves inside the motor can be viewed while the simulation is running. There is a Turbo and Compressor section that I have not ventured into yet.

Anyway if you can, get your own copy, its worth hours and hours of saved time and money.

I'm getting it!... well first I'll have to get a new computer running windows and before that the money for both the computer and the software...

Thread Information