Page 1411 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 4119111311136114011409141014111412141314211461151119112411 ... LastLast
Results 21,151 to 21,165 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    The whole build can be seen by following the backstory posts like a trail of breadcrumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    ... backstory posts trail of breadcrumbs.

The Dry Sump and Gear Oiler, not to sure how well this idea will work so I am going to try it on the old air cooled engine first.

Attachment 317734 Attachment 317736
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny quest View Post
    ... but the trans spins so slow compared to crank, curious as to what the actual gain is with an oil pump.
    I am curious too, so it is one of the reasons I am re cycling the old air cooled motor which I have dyno data for. I will fit the old air cooled motor to the new chassis for testing before I put the super duper 110cc NSR/GP motor into the new frame.

Apart from any potential performance gain from a dry sumped motor I basically have to do it because the motor is so heavily tilted down at the front in the new frame that all the gear box oil will flood the rotary valve area and leave the gears dry, so I have to pump it back over the gears to lubricate them.

And if your pumping oil around you might as well run it through an oil cooler too. And if you have an oil cooler you might as well make it as efficient as possible with a fan to shift air through it. Anyway that was the thinking. But with Wobbly pointing out that 150ml of oil was enough for the BSL 500 I will re think how big a catch tank I need.
    A bit more progress, managed to get the air cooled engine together and fitted into the NSR250 frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NSR aircooled A.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	318204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NSR aircooled B.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	318205

The original plan was for a bunch of ducting to go on and the motor slanted down so as to expose the center of the cylinder head to the cooling blast of air that will be ducted in, in between the fork legs. If I can I would like to extend the ducting all the way from the front high pressure area to the low pressure area behind the bike.

Name:	NSR aircooled C.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	318203

The original plan was for an air cooled engine, then the Gods smiled and I could build a 110cc water cooled engine. The six speed H2O unit is on the floor and will go in when I have tested the gear box dry sump idea with the air cooled unit.

I have to try the dry sump idea with the air cooled unit first because I have good dyno data for this air cooled motor in standard wet gearbox and clutch trim. And it would be nice to know if the dry sump idea is worth any power at the back wheel before I fit the water cooler.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by d2t View Post
    Hey Frits, was this book ever published in English? I wouldn't mind another well written book on the shelf to fool my guests into thinking I'm smart.
    Not to my knowledge. But maybe someone pushed it through the GoogleTranslator.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Surely a technical book in a "foreign" language would impress your guests more rather than just another English language tome.
    I think so too. I have a lot of books in foreign languages, mainly English

Bike
    none

Suggested coating for rotary valve running surfaces??

We have been dyno testing a 125cc rotary valve motor using both carbon fiber and steel rotary valves. We are quickly seeing wear around the inlet hole. Does anyone have coating suggestions for the RV running surfaces that will minimize the wear?

Thanks,

David

Bike
    2006, KTM, 250 SX
    Quote Originally Posted by dtenney View Post
    We have been dyno testing a 125cc rotary valve motor using both carbon fiber and steel rotary valves. We are quickly seeing wear around the inlet hole. Does anyone have coating suggestions for the RV running surfaces that will minimize the wear?

Thanks,

David
    I have dealt with some Tufram coatings at work, but not in engines, yet. I think L4 or FC12 are good candidates for that application if the rest of the part is up to anodizing. You might need too much masking if the running surface is part of the case though.

http://www.magnaplate.com/coatings/tufram

Bike
    none

coatings

Quote Originally Posted by teriks View Post
    I have dealt with some Tufram coatings at work, but not in engines, yet. I think L4 or FC12 are good candidates for that application if the rest of the part is up to anodizing. You might need too much masking if the running surface is part of the case though.

http://www.magnaplate.com/coatings/tufram
    Thanks Teriks. These coatings look interesting.

DT

Bike
    rd 350 ypvs 1985
    Can't seem to find it, TZ, for the copper baseplate, did u just use some copperspray, no gaskets right? Seal ok that way and anealed first?

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    http://www.kgcoatings.com/products/2400-series-gun-kote

Dave , take a look at post #15312, page 1021. There are some related follow-on posts, too. This is a cheap, do-it-yourself fix-up, a heat-cured dry lubricant that you apply with an air-brush (and I'm suggesting doing this to the case halves, not the disc). Zak did a lot of this moly-coating, tho' I don't know if he did rotary valve cases. Do you think the leading edge of your valve disc is flexing in and out as it passes the hole, and maybe digging into the edges of the hole? Can you give the edges just a little bit of ramp (and make sure the moly coating covers that ramp)??

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Do you think the leading edge of your valve disc is flexing in and out as it passes the hole, and maybe digging into the edges of the hole? Can you give the edges just a little bit of ramp (and make sure the moly coating covers that ramp)??
    Don't give the edges of the hole a ramp; give the leading edge of the disc a ramp, so it will plane on the oil instead of scraping it off.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Don't give the edges of the hole a ramp; give the leading edge of the disc a ramp, so it will plane on the oil instead of scraping it off.
    Frits:

Just to make sure i understand.......I should taper the edge of the rotary valve so the oil will not get scraped away but will flow under the valve?

Thanks,

David

Bike
    CBX125F NS50F NS90F NS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Both sides of the disk? Or just the crankcase side?

Bike
    TZ400
    Here is a pic of the best shape to prevent the disc from pulling into the port as it sweeps over it - and wearing the case.
    The disc spins anticlock - so the outer leading edge of the closing side of the disc is well supported ( as its past the port hole ) and
    the inner corner radius of the disc actually forms the closing timing point with the bottom left corner of the port.
    Thus the port closes gradually from the outside inward, with the timing still set at the usual 140/90 numbers.
    The only thing that changes is the last part of the port to be open at 90* is the bottom left corner.

We tried a huge number of shapes when dynoing at Zip the Hines 250 Superkart title winning engines and even had a full port shaped radius ( convex and concave )
    on both leading and trailing edges plus combinations of straight edges and curved ie everything we could think of.
    The port shape that was wider at the top, and smaller at the bottom with dead straight blade edges made the best overev power, but it wore out the dyno case in no time.
    So we went back to the symmetrical shaped port as per the Aprilia pics.

Note that the later RSA port is rotated 90*, with the widest port chord on the centreline thru the crank, giving the same area as the older RSW port, but a smaller footprint of
    the valves intrusion for any particular timing duration.
    Having the blade not inside the port for the most time, ie with a "narrow " port angular width, gives better power for the same timings as a wide port.

Edit - added pic of later RSA port with widest chord on crank center line , also just added older RSA version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSA Port.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	318250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSW250 inlaat.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	318242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aprilia RSA 1.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	366.4 KB 
ID:	318251  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    The disc spins anticlock - so the outer leading edge of the closing side of the disc is well supported ( as its past the port hole ) and
    the inner corner radius of the disc actually forms the closing timing point with the bottom left corner of the port.
    Are you sure? I believe (and have posted before) that the disc spins clockwise. Reason behind this is due to the best flow with partially open carburettor is achieved by opening the inlet port from the bottom up. Spin the disc anti clockwise and you have soft closing, spin it clockwise and you more or less get the port opening from the bottom up as per the RSA. And as the man says - Jan Thiel "I thought about this when we designed the RSA. And made the inlet open from the bottom!"

Bike
    TZ400
    When Jan first designed the RSA it had the wide port chord horizontal.
    The last versions had the port turned 90* so the wide chord was vertical, and at the same time the angled blade edge was reversed
    simply to stop the bad wear problems - with no power downside.
    I asked Jan after Frits gave me his email, and the first question to him was why the blade change, as well as the port orientation - the answer , wear , nothing else.
    With the port chord change, so did the flow regime.
    The first pic I showed was an old 250 - I was just demonstrating the blade shape, not the actual spin direction of that motor.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Looking at the pics my first reaction is to " fix " the insert - that is extend the floor all the way out to the flange face.

As I said earlier having the dam in place makes the exit area much bigger than that at the port - and we already know that the reverse scenario makes better power.

Having a much smaller area at the port may in fact work really well if the whole duct is reduced to suit, keeping the Mach number higher right down to the header.
    Thanks, it is a team effort, hopefully Chambers will be happy to continue the experiment because he is the one doing all the real work making the changes.

I only help by recording the dyno runs and posting the results. I am looking forward to adding to the Team ESE stable by completing my own 50 with the information we find out from Chambers efforts.
    Attachment 318101 Attachment 318098

Radius edge on the exhaust port dam

Attachment 318102

Red = radius on the leading edge of the exhaust port dam, Blue = sharp edge.

Radius is better.

Attachment 318103

Red = radius edged dam, Blue = No Dam.
    Above is the back story so far.

Now, tonight we had more dyno adventures with Chambers RG50.

Name:	Blue - no dame red - Radiused dam Green- -4 deg.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	318267

Blue = best with no dam, Red = original dam with radiused edge level with TPO , Green = radiused dam opening 4 deg after TPO.

Name:	Blue-dam at TPO Red dam - deg ATPO.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	318264

Blue = Exhaust dam level with TPO. Red = Dam opening 4 deg after TPO.

Name:	Blue - best dam Red - rasied barrel.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	318265

Engmod warned us that razing the port timing would not work, it was right. Red = barrel raised 0.5mm or one base gasket.

Name:	Blue - no dam Red - best dam.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	318266

Where we are now, Blue = best with no dam, Red best of where we are now at with an exhaust dam.

We are getting there, Chambers now has the dam making a touch more maximum power than the no dam version.

Next move is to start opening up the "A" transfer ports and pointing them more towards the center of the cylinder for more power by taking advantage of the short circuiting blocking powers of the exhaust dam.

Here is hoping.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. So why the dramatic increase of peak power? Temperature fooling the pipe?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information