Page 1412 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 4129121312136214021410141114121413141414221462151219122412 ... LastLast
Results 21,166 to 21,180 of 39408

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by dtenney View Post
    Frits: Just to make sure i understand.......I should taper the edge of the rotary valve so the oil will not get scraped away but will flow under the valve?
    You got it David. You want the disc to go aqua-planing. or in this case: oil-planing.

Quote Originally Posted by lodgernz View Post
    Both sides of the disk? Or just the crankcase side?
    Both sides. But why would you give preference to the crankcase side? Usually the outer disc cover suffers most from wear. In theory you don't even need the inner surface.
    If the disc eats into the crankcase side, it means the flow is still pushing the disc inward when the port closes. In other words: the disc closes too early.
    Or, and this is a big or, the inlet tract is too long, causing a big amount of inertia in the inlet flow; it will be reluctant to start flowing and just as reluctant to stop.
    Shortening the complete tract may solve the wear problem and boost the power as well.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Hmm. So why the dramatic increase of peak power? Temperature fooling the pipe?
    Not sure, it could be that the blowdown is improved with the dam and allowing a higher rpm ceiling. With the first "Exhaust Dam" tests we tried different main jets but over a wide-ish range there was not much difference. So we tried to keep everything consistent by not changing the ignition timing or main jets etc, we just ran the same setup. The piston is showing a bit of real heat in the crown. Not to sure whats up with that but I am very interested to see what happens when the "A" transfers get re angled across the piston crown.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Next move is to start opening up the "A" transfer ports and pointing them more towards the center of the cylinder for more power by taking advantage of the short circuiting blocking powers of the exhaust dam.
    Tread very carefully here; don't try it with your best cylinder.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Tread very carefully here; don't try it with your best cylinder.
    We would love it to be a stunning success but know it is a bit way out there, so we are sort of emotionally prepared for final tragedy, and count on having picked up some useful gems along the way.

Bike
    TZ400
    But I feel I must add here, that my whole perception of dyno testing was changed by Jan stating that alot of the pipe testing that was originally done
    was invalidated in that the jetting wasn't optimised for each change of dimensions.
    What he was saying is that if a pipe affected the egt due to its design, then the power change was due to the egt change - not the actual efficiency ( or not ) of the actual pipe.
    I have taken this on board and for some time EVERY run I do I aim to jet for exactly the same peak power egt.
    A small change in reed stiffness will absolutely change the egt number, and if you dont then rejet to achieve the target, then the temp change is causing the power difference - not the reed change.
    I shoot for 650*C on a KZ2 for example as this is what we see for best power.
    Now I am starting to use Lambda, to achieve a target A/F ratio.
    Both methods, are in effect approximating what should really be done to do this properly, that is measuring air and fuel flow to generate a max power BSFC number.
    But anyway, what I am saying is that just doing a dyno run, making a change and then not rejetting - is a waste of effort.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    And here we were thinking we were doing it properly by changing only one thing,

I will talk with chambers about getting some good EGT gear. ...

Bike
    none

Wobbly

sent you a PM....pls confirm it went through.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    TZ, I badly worded my post.

I meant to say dramatic increase of revs at peak power.

Its like you've chopped an inch out of the pipe. Either the jetting requirement is different, or the dam is well overheating locally and you might not see the benefit if you cool it with more petrol as if it were cast in. Maybe, just something to consider.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RZ350, TZR250 3XV, TZR250 3MA, TZR125

Lambda measuring

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    But I feel I must add here, that my whole perception of dyno testing was changed by Jan stating that alot of the pipe testing that was originally done
    was invalidated in that the jetting wasn't optimised for each change of dimensions.
    What he was saying is that if a pipe affected the egt due to its design, then the power change was due to the egt change - not the actual efficiency ( or not ) of the actual pipe.
    I have taken this on board and for some time EVERY run I do I aim to jet for exactly the same peak power egt.
    A small change in reed stiffness will absolutely change the egt number, and if you dont then rejet to achieve the target, then the temp change is causing the power difference - not the reed change.
    I shoot for 650*C on a KZ2 for example as this is what we see for best power.
    Now I am starting to use Lambda, to achieve a target A/F ratio.
    Both methods, are in effect approximating what should really be done to do this properly, that is measuring air and fuel flow to generate a max power BSFC number.
    But anyway, what I am saying is that just doing a dyno run, making a change and then not rejetting - is a waste of effort.
    Hey Wob, what type of lambda sensor do you use (I assume wide band sensor, right)? Do you just take the millivolt signal or do you have a controller taking care on the heating and the signal conversion? I had an ETAS system in the beginning, now using the WBO2 setup...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ETAS LA4 004.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	774.6 KB 
ID:	318329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Data Logger TZR250 (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	793.0 KB 
ID:	318330

Bike
    RD350 YPVS F2

Cool

Maybe we will soon know whats inside the ryger engine...

Bike
    TZ400
    Hi David, yes I got the PM with your home address, but not an email.

The Lambda I use is from Innovate Motorsports with a Bosch heated wideband, and it can read out in various formats.
    It will convert directly to A/F ratio, Lambda Number, or 0-5V, I use the A/F ratio as an input direct to the dyno datalogger so as to see
    the power overlayed with A/F as well as deto etc.
    The probe is in the front of the muffler,with a threaded insert that sits right on top of the perf tube.
    It has a gauge reading out A/F, but you for sure havnt time to watch that when doing a dyno run.

One take on the dam idea affecting the top end so much, is that is exactly the effect you see by putting a 75% nozzle in the duct exit when running a sim.
    This is why I thought the next step should be to extend the floor right out the flange face.
    Gaining all that top end means you have an option to redesign the pipe for better mid, or use the overev capability and use the pipe to make even more power up top.

The Ryger homologation is due to be published publicly by the CIK on the 1st Jan.
    I will be onto the site all day looking for the info we all are screaming for.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    This is what I use: http://www.ecotrons.com/products/wid...ler-alm-gauge/

The controller output is configurable and you can connect an injector input to it for rev information. Supplied with software to monitor, record, and control. I have mine setup just to monitor the lambda with the gauge but another output is being fed to the ECU and the Lambda is recorded along with other ECU parameters during engine operation. Hopefully today I will start(again) with autotuning using the lambda output to the ECU and a brake dyno type of thing to hold certain revs and load. Cool little feature where the system automatically tunes itself for lambda=1, or with the flick of a switch it tunes to a "desired" lambda in another table with a range of values over various loads, throttle positions, and revs

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Just had another look and saw this: http://www.ecotrons.com/products/alm-diesel/

Might be more resilient in the 2-stroke environment, if that's a problem.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC

Ryger Crank ?

Frits posted this in Foundry Thread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linear rod crank.gif 
Views:	182 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	318339

Looks a bit like a copy of Flettners crank
    https://youtu.be/-2AhNvDFNlQ

"Linear rod crank, no cams, no scotch yoke, just a crank within a crank. Each crank offset is 12.5mm, total stroke is 50mm. Not over hung, fully supported. Clicking sound is the rod touching the case at the bottom, will sort that next time it's apart. TF 100 case
    So if somewhat different than the Ryger we also can have a oil less top end with HCCI that could technically rev to approx 30,000 rpm."
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    TZ, I badly worded my post.

I meant to say dramatic increase of revs at peak power.

Its like you've chopped an inch out of the pipe. Either the jetting requirement is different, or the dam is well overheating locally and you might not see the benefit if you cool it with more petrol as if it were cast in. Maybe, just something to consider.
    I now think it is the sort of lean heat rpm you see when turning the PJ off. Not sure it is a good thing in this case, anyway those extra rpm disappeared when we jetted up so I think your suspicions may be right.

Thread Information