Page 1598 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 59810981498154815881596159715981599160016081648169820982598 ... LastLast
Results 23,956 to 23,970 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Just goes to show, you can't trust the media these days...

Attachment 325488
    If you can afford it that is...
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11740760

Bike
    TZ400
    I know is being smart arse but its the old story of "fools rush in ".
    Not that Im saying you are a fool, far from it, but using epoxy, just to get it done "in a rush " is false economy.
    And I know without a TIG you are buggered, but the slugs material is Tungsten with sometimes a few small % of other shit,but you dont need to
    worry about the welding technique of it as all you do is crank up the amps and fusion melt the flywheel and slug together.
    A small amount of any steel filler rod can be used when just simply creating a small arc of weld.
    And as the balance factor still isnt correct at 48%, dont fuck about , get on with the job of doing it properly - take out the epoxy and add some more Mallory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mallory.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	724.0 KB 
ID:	325489  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    I know is being smart arse but its the old story of "fools rush in ".
    Not that Im saying you are a fool, far from it, but using epoxy, just to get it done "in a rush " is false economy.
    And I know without a TIG you are buggered, but the slugs material is Tungsten with sometimes a few small % of other shit,but you dont need to
    worry about the welding technique of it as all you do is crank up the amps and fusion melt the flywheel and slug together.
    A small amount of any steel filler rod can be used when just simply creating a small arc of weld.
    And as the balance factor still isnt correct at 48%, dont fuck about , get on with the job of doing it properly - take out the epoxy and add some more Mallory.
    You are right, and as it is winter in Norway and at least 5-6 months until I can take it for a test ride, I will listen.
    Must be growing up... You wont believe how many times I have learned(can't really say that can I...) the hard way, especially when it comes to epoxy!

I could just buy a new stock replacement crank too, they're balanced to 55% and fairly cheap.

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    adegnes ,I'm enjoying your vids!
    Perhaps you could burn the epoxy off with a heat gun and get it TIG welded at a welding shop?
    You mentioned getting a stock crank,can it handle the extra stresses from your modifications?Maybe installing a quality racing rod kit on stock crank wheels would be a good alternative..

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    adegnes ,I'm enjoying your vids!
    Perhaps you could burn the epoxy off with a heat gun and get it TIG welded at a welding shop?
    You mentioned getting a stock crank,can it handle the extra stresses from your modifications?Maybe installing a quality racing rod kit on stock crank wheels would be a good alternative..
    Thanks!
    Yep, was planning on using a propane torch though, thinking the epoxy will turn to ash long before the heat is high enough to mess up the hardening.

I share your concern about the stock crank(if the Doppler is any better is questionable, seeing how they screwed up with the balance factor), and a rod kit is a good idea.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    The answer is probably obvious to the more experienced in welding and metallurgy, but what's the reason I can't just use my mig to tack the slugs in there?

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    I was also going to suggest the MIG. If you ground away the Mallory (tungsten) pieces locally in a couple of appropriate edge spots, you could just MIG in these areas so the weld overlapped the interface. No hardness loss hassles. Should be able to do this in less than 5 months.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    I was also going to suggest the MIG. If you ground away the Mallory (tungsten) pieces locally in a couple of appropriate edge spots, you could just MIG in these areas so the weld overlapped the interface. No hardness loss hassles.
    Sounds like it could work! Any objections?

Should be able to do this in less than 5 months.

Bike
    TZ400
    Yep, a couple of small chamfers on the Mallory, and crank up the heat so you for sure melt into the flywheel material as well as
    filling the crevice with weld.
    But MIG is for bridge building, a small TIG is cheap as these days and much more suited to doing pretty welds on racebike frame/crank/pipes etc.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Yep, a couple of small chamfers on the Mallory, and crank up the heat so you for sure melt into the flywheel material as well as
    filling the crevice with weld.
    But MIG is for bridge building, a small TIG is cheap as these days and much more suited to doing pretty welds on racebike frame/crank/pipes etc.
    I think I'll give the mig a go then!
    E10 is uploading, doing a few test welds with the mig(and flux core, no less) on a scrap crank. Didn't work very well, but that crank is cast iron(I think), and the Doppler is forged steel.
    A tig is definitely on my wish list!

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by adegnes View Post
    I think I'll give the mig a go then!
    E10 is uploading, doing a few test welds with the mig(and flux core, no less) on a scrap crank. Didn't work very well, but that crank is cast iron(I think), and the Doppler is forged steel.
    A tig is definitely on my wish list!
    Doing it with a mig is asking for a ruined part. Don't be a tight arse, pay a shop a few bucks to do it correctly and properly with a tig.

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    Also if the tungsten slug is a 'push fit' and tacked from the outside of the crank wheel,what keeps it from walking into the con rod as Frits said??

Bike
    2001 kx250
    Quote Originally Posted by SwePatrick View Post
    It´s actually for an Kawasaki, but it has 18mm pin and pistonheight isn´t very important as i already has a spacer to move the cylinder upwards to fit the long rod i use.
    I can just make an another spacer or shim of the one i have.

The imprtant thing is the locking pin for the ring.
    I want it at six o clock so i can port out the B-transfers a lot more.
    As i can see with wiseco´s 'racers choice' piston for KX250 the single ring is ~7 o clock, not good.
    If this is for a KX cylinder, the other 66.4 Pistons will expose the auxiliary exhaust ports at TDC. The port floors would need to be raised a minimum of 4 mm & shaped very much like the ports of the KTM 250 Wobbly ported and posted pictures of.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    Also if the tungsten slug is a 'push fit' and tacked from the outside of the crank wheel,what keeps it from walking into the con rod as Frits said??
    I was planning to get a couple of tacks on the inside of the webs too. I think I can reach in there with flux core and no gas nozzle.

E10 is up!
    https://youtu.be/blwUtIKaZn4

Bike
    variety
    I think miller and Lincoln have some smaller tig welders that aren't terribly expensive. they don't have all the bells and whistles but it might do the job your looking for. then again if you end up needing to weld other stuff you may need a machine with more functions.

Thread Information