Page 1705 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 7051205160516551695170317041705170617071715175518052205 ... LastLast
Results 25,561 to 25,575 of 39408

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I guess the real way is to just build one and test it. With mine I was looking at taking the bleed off from the center section of the chamber anyway, so the 'flap' didn't need a hole in it. Shnaggs, have you tried this idea?
    Flettner, No I have not tried it yet, just a thought scrambling around in my head (I have too many of them). Although, I should just get another pipe to hack apart and see how she does. I tried some quick sims on engmod and saw a slight benefit, but not enough to get excited about....but then again, I think if its executed properly, I think it could work really well and in conjunction with your RV it should work even better.

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    A question for someone..

My kx250(212cc) cylinder had the exhaustguillotine hanging down into port and as it is an dragracing highrevving machine i decided to delete it and only let the KIPS control the Aux exhaustports.
    The question is: how important can it be to get a totally smooth exhaustrunner?
    In picture below you can se there are some 'ridges', but nothing that protrude into the port.

So i welded a plug into the 'hole' for the guillotine and grinded it as smooth as it allows without going nuts in the port/runner.
    I did this before i put the new liner in to ensure everything stays round etc etc.

Bike
    89 KX500

O-ring material

Is Viton the preferred material for O-rings used to seal liquid cooled heads?

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wiechman View Post
    Is Viton the preferred material for O-rings used to seal liquid cooled heads?
    Viton would be a bit over engineered to just seal the coolant to the atmosphere, as almost any material will cope with lower temperature coolant. But if you're talking about domes / combustion chambers or exhaust flanges, then it might be beneficial indeed.

Bike
    TZ400
    Viton is the material of choice for the inner ring where it seals the chamber to the cylinder top.
    But around the outside where it seals only water ,normal O rings are fine.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I've have a viton O ring in my air cooled 350 head for over 70 hours. Never leaked.I might be wrong I think its a silicon Oring
    Both good for high temps

Bike
    Norton Manx
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Thomas is really keen to CC the engine. The best way would be to take the engine out of the bike so it can be levelled up and CC’d through the sparkplug hole.
    Looking at the picture it looks like TeeZee was using an "O" ring for a head gasket on his air cooled engine from the very beginning. Maybe Thomas suggested it to him. Pretty sure someplace he said it was a Viton "O" ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O ringed barrel.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	329674 ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O Ringed Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	329675
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    CBX125F NS50F NS90F NS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFred View Post
    Looking at the picture it looks like TeeZee was using an "O" ring for a head gasket on his air cooled engine from the very beginning. Maybe Thomas suggested it to him. Pretty sure someplace he said it was a Viton "O" ring.

Name:	O ringed barrel.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	329674 ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O Ringed Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	329675
    Looks more like a copper ring to me. Often used in racing foul-strokes.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well Fred would know being Robs right hand
    Man

Viton is dark green almost black. Used it for decades as head gasket. Even a smear of red silicon rtv will suffice as outer gasket. Use easily machined round groove on inner and rtv on outer. Never had a failure in 20 + years.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Yes, Viton, there are different grades (different colours) but I just used a bog standard (black looking) Viton O ring as a head seal on the air cooled motors. No failures, only unfortunate moment was when I tried a proper head gasket and still had the O ring in place. 30 hp on the dyno and the head gasket failed never had a problem with an O ring.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post

Name:	30hp Dyno Blown Head Gasket.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	329686

Well that did not go so well, spat the head gasket.

Bike
    69 kawasaki avenger

Viton

I have been made aware of dangers of Viton when heated or burned as in fan belts on burnt cars being dangerous. Since then I don't handle the used o rings in my exhausts. Possibly over cautious. If one was given a clean sheet to build an engine possibly wobbly on a new Kz would it be possible to extend the exhaust side of the cylinder especially the ex. Nozzle to a length that could house the required shape and be cooled the full length for cool charge to re enter the cylinder.

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Concentrated H2O2 was used in the V2
    Jet packs were also H2O2.
    The kiwi version is powered by four CR500's
    Damn thats a bit more ambitious than my join 2 cr500s and throw it into a gsxr250 frame i had.

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Viton is the material of choice for the inner ring where it seals the chamber to the cylinder top.
    But around the outside where it seals only water ,normal O rings are fine.
    Viton has no oil products in it, i used it a lot in designs for BOC oxygen parts its pretty good up 200c but no good under -60c but some how i dont think it would get that cold here.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha fino
    Quote Originally Posted by 1948rod View Post
    I have been made aware of dangers of Viton when heated or burned as in fan belts on burnt cars being dangerous. Since then I don't handle the used o rings in my exhausts. Possibly over cautious. If one was given a clean sheet to build an engine possibly wobbly on a new Kz would it be possible to extend the exhaust side of the cylinder especially the ex. Nozzle to a length that could house the required shape and be cooled the full length for cool charge to re enter the cylinder.
    Lengthening the exhaust duct and cool it very well is one of the things I regret not having tried!
    I had the idea in 2007, but did not try it because I was planning to retire...
    Almost certainly it will give e good power improvement!

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well Fred would know being Robs right hand
    Man

Viton is dark green almost black. Used it for decades as head gasket. Even a smear of red silicon rtv will suffice as outer gasket. Use easily machined round groove on inner and rtv on outer. Never had a failure in 20 + years.
    I used viton o rings for inner and outer head seals in the water cooled KERG. They were a red/tan color. I replaced them around twice a season just because. Never had a failure.

Thread Information