Page 1730 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 7301230163016801720172817291730173117321740178018302230 ... LastLast
Results 25,936 to 25,950 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Here are the sim inputs for RSA125, about as good as it gets.
    Thanks for these Wobbly, but why is your exit roof angle 0.0? Is there a reason for this to be left at 0.0? I have found that changing this value does change the power quit at bit in the sim.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

aprilia port map

Thanks for all the information on this Aprilia port dimensions.....

Bike
    zuma50
    How much different was the jetting between pipe testing for brst optimization Jan? Are we talking needle tapers.... 1 to 2 mainjet sizes? All of the above plus more?

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Page 1730 links list to go here:-

Quote Originally Posted by jamathi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    A-ports timing 130°, roof angle 25°
    B-ports timing 132°, roof angle 10°
    C-port timing 132°, roof angle 50°
    RSW and RSA ducts were the same.
    Roof angles did not change since 1995
    The RSA cylinder had improved cooling.
    Re the RSA, it had the main Ex floor lifted by some 3mm from memory.
    Here are the sim inputs for RSA125, about as good as it gets.
    You will have to click back to the original post to see the sim data.

Here is the STA result from the late model RSA - and so before you wonder why Jans superb transfers are so far ahead of the Exhaust - ponder this.

The outflow Cd of the Exhaust is hugely influenced by the large radius that was machined onto the timing edge - the strictly theoretical Exhaust timing was around 79* ATDC, but the effective open time of the duct top edge was closer to 82*.

Thus in reality the STA FLOW numbers match perfectly - remember this when dealing with crap transfer ducts, or Exhaust ducts that are WAY too big - ie most of them.
    Hi Wobbly,

During 2003 our boss, you know him, designed a new exhaust., no 102. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aprilia tubo 102 a.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	331059 It gave a lot more midrange, but killed revs, the engine stopped at 13000 So the radius of 2,5 was arrived at to recover max. revs.... With this radius also the midrange returned like it was before. And so it stayed....

A couple of years later, after my DERBI interval, he was not there any more. It was decided to compare the latest 6 exhaust pipes. First they were all cleaned on the inside. Which, by the way always cost some power, the power used to come back after a week of testing.

With these cleaned pipes the best carburation was determined for each pipe. There proved to be quite some difference. Then each pipe was tested with its best carburation. The result was: nearly no difference.....

So much about pipe design and development, during some years, it is not easy! Those tests were, of course, made with a radiused exhaust port. Sometimes I still wonder what would have happened if we had insisted with an unradiused port. And the older exhaust pipe!
    Refilling the damper and cleaning the pipe on the inside used to cost about 0,5-0,6HP After a week of daily testing the normal HP returned.

At the races all the teams refilled their dampers and cleaned their exhausts before the race.
    What do you think of this Wobbly?
    Quote Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
    Thanks for these Wobbly, but why is your exit roof angle 0.0? Is there a reason for this to be left at 0.0? I have found that changing this value does change the power quit at bit in the sim.
    In general repacking the muffler will make a little extra power - but the Aprilia had a very short stinger, so maybe it liked the effective shorter length when the packing wasn’t tight around the perforated tube.

Its easy to understand why a " used " pipe made better power as this coats the inside surface and holds up the internal gas temperature.

Coating the inside with ceramic did the same thing, only way too much as it turned out in testing, as the engine lost all the bottom end power but picked up some top end.

Regarding the down angle of the Exhaust duct in the sim.
    As I explained before the timing edge had a big radius on it, and thus the effective Cd was greater than the actual port area would dictate.

Using the down angle reduces the area by the cosine, so to get a better match to real flow conditions using zero gave a more accurate end result.

Here is the inlet input.
    Here is the RV inlet inputs.

The Exhaust port itself was already made smaller, as Jan had begun experimenting with lifting the floor, but my comment about size was more directed at the duct exit area.

Simply using EngMod and shooting for a duct exit Mach of 0.8 the result is a huge jump in power when reducing the Aprilia flange area and creating a new transition within the spigot.

The duct length, including the spigot was also increased slightly to 2X bore and the pipe adjusted accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I remember Frits mentioning it's the best he had used, and also having seen it used here, which is why I'm specifically after Vinamold. There are alternatives however.

Here's a product called Composimold being used by a Thomas H who appears to cruise this forum, if not only the ESE thread. It's far more expensive though at $66NZD + $30 shipping for 20oz of the stuff -_-

http://bucketracing.blogspot.co.nz/2...mposimold.html

Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    OK you blokes chasing Vinamould, here’s the stuff we use. For you kiwi types, it’s “cheap as chups” () around $100 for the 3 kg.

Attachment 330857Attachment 330858Attachment 330859

Looked up your local contact:

Barnes NZ - Henderson, Auckland
    B92-94 Railside Ave, Henderson, 0612 Auckland.
    T: 09 973 1816
    E: glen@barnesnz.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by guyhockley View Post
    Google.co.uk came up with:

Vinamold - Best Value - - Direct from the manufacturer‎

Adwww.extruflexonline.co.uk/vinamold
    Large UK Vinamold Stocks, 24 Hr Delivery

4 hardness types?

I thought Vinamold was american.

Bike
    TZ400
    In general repacking the muffler will make a little extra power - but the Aprilia had a very short stinger, so maybe it liked the effective shorter length
    when the packing wasnt tight around the perforated tube.
    Its easy to understand why a " used " pipe made better power as this coats the inside surface and holds up the internal gas temperature.
    Coating the inside with ceramic did the same thing, only way too much as it turned out in testing, as the engine lost all the bottom end power but picked up some top end.

As I explained before the timing edge had a big radius on it, and thus the effective Cd was greater than the actual port area would dictate.
    Using the down angle reduces the area by the cosine,so to get a better match to real flow conditions using zero gave a more accurate end result.

Here is the inlet input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSA Inlet.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	330886  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RZ350, TZR250 3XV, TZR250 3MA, TZR125
    In general repacking the muffler will make a little extra power - but the Aprilia had a very short stinger, so maybe it liked the effective shorter length
    when the packing wasnt tight around the perforated tube.

Using the down angle reduces the area by the cosine,so to get a better match to real flow conditions using zero gave a more accurate end result.

Here is the inlet input.
    Thank's a lot Wob, I was more referring to the inlet port with the RV (as I have absolute no experience with RV engines... )

Bike
    RZ350, TZR250 3XV, TZR250 3MA, TZR125
    Hi Wobbly,

During 2003 our boss, you know him, designed a new exhaust., no 102.
    It gave a lot more midrange, but killed revs, the engine stopped at 13000
    So the radius of 2,5 was arrived at to recover max. revs....
    With this radius also the midrange returned like it was before.
    And so it stayed....

A couple of years later, after my DERBI interval, he was not there any more.
    It was decided to compare the latest 6 exhaust pipes.
    First they were all cleaned on the inside.
    Which, by the way always cost some power, the power used to come back after a week of testing.
    With these cleaned pipes the best carburation was determined for each pipe.
    There proved to be quite some difference.
    Then each pipe was tested with its best carburation.
    The result was: nearly no difference.....
    So much about pipe design and development, during some years, it is not easy!
    Those tests were, of course, made with a radiused exhaust port.
    Sometimes I still wonder what would have happened if we had insisted with an unradiused port.
    And the older exhaust pipe!
    Thank's a lot for all the insight Jan! In the drawing no rear cone nozzle / venturi is shown. Wasn't that in the design in that years or only not shown in the drawing?
    cheers
    Juergen

Bike
    husaberg
    Anyone know how these turned out?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12961750_1163487003676441_5545512603109203930_n.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	330891
    EMOT Racing 6 April 2016
    AND THE OTHER SIDE HAS A CLOSED PINHOLE TOO..!!
    How we did that will not be released yet.
    For now we are looking for a few brave guys to test it.
    We designed Kreidler and Ktm 50 pistons with the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1993, suzuki rgv250
    Hi Wobbly,

During 2003 our boss, you know him, designed a new exhaust., no 102.
    It gave a lot more midrange, but killed revs, the engine stopped at 13000
    So the radius of 2,5 was arrived at to recover max. revs....
    With this radius also the midrange returned like it was before.
    And so it stayed....

A couple of years later, after my DERBI interval, he was not there any more.
    It was decided to compare the latest 6 exhaust pipes.
    First they were all cleaned on the inside.
    Which, by the way always cost some power, the power used to come back after a week of testing.
    With these cleaned pipes the best carburation was determined for each pipe.
    There proved to be quite some difference.
    Then each pipe was tested with its best carburation.
    The result was: nearly no difference.....
    So much about pipe design and development, during some years, it is not easy!
    Those tests were, of course, made with a radiused exhaust port.
    Sometimes I still wonder what would have happened if we had insisted with an unradiused port.
    And the older exhaust pipe!

Jan, Wobbly, can I ask, should not the exhaust valve (which should be lowered?) eliminate/decrease the exhaust radius effect on the midrange? Thank you.

Bike
    husaberg
    We never made port maps, sorry...
    Only the distance from the top was measured.
    And the chordal width, which is what really counts.
    Using the circular 'feelers' shown in the picture.
    They are attached to a piece of welding rod so you can bend them any way you want.
    Very useful for measuring ducts and ports!
    Jan whats the paper stuffed in the cylinders for?
    i noticed its also in the pic with the cylinder comparsions that (i think Riley Will) posted once.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder comparison Aprilia.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	330895
    Edit It might have been Frits i can't recall.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Jan whats the paper stuffed in the cylinders for?
    That will be the chief mechanics' wish lists, accompanied by photographs of their daughters.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    That will be the chief mechanics' wish lists, accompanied by photographs of their daughters.
    The wish list is always more power with less maintence.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Ken Seebers sliding cylinder engine...........

Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    SLIDER UPDATE.

Finally got the thing running on the dyno frame. No load being applied by dyno, still got some software and hardware issues to be resolved. Main purpose was to see what falls off and even if it still works.

Not too much to say other than it makes some noise (apparently it could be heard over in kiwiland !!). Seems to zing with a bit of throttle, but then so does any 2 stroke really. Felt like 71 hp though.

Obviously the next thing is getting the dyno sussed.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

short circuiting auxilary exhaust ports

We never made port maps, sorry...
    Only the distance from the top was measured.
    And the chordal width, which is what really counts.
    Using the circular 'feelers' shown in the picture.
    They are attached to a piece of welding rod so you can bend them any way you want.
    Very useful for measuring ducts and ports!
    Jan , with the auxilary exhaust ports being directly above the transfer ports did you think before arranging this set up that it would be power sapping with short cicuiting? also with the auxilary exhaust ports closing before the main exhaust port that fuel pulled into them would not be fully pushed back into the cylinder by the returning exhaust pulse again reducing power? Wobbly also mentioned that most exhaust ports are too large anyway , other than raising the exhaust port floor is there anything that you would have done to chase more power from that cylinder?

Bike
    TZ400
    Here is the RV inlet inputs.
    The Exhaust port itself was already made smaller, as Jan had begun experementing with lifting the floor, but my comment about size was more directed at the duct exit area.
    Simply using EngMod and shooting for a duct exit Mach of 0.8 the result is a huge jump in power when reducing the Aprilia flange area and creating a new transition within the spigot.
    The duct length, including the spigot was also increased slightly to 2X bore and the pipe adjusted accordingly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSA Inlet Port.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	330898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Std vs WobExDuct.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	330897  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Thread Information