Page 1789 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 7891289168917391779178717881789179017911799183918892289 ... LastLast
Results 26,821 to 26,835 of 39424

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none

Optimal water cooling

I know there has been a discussion about the effect of cooling water temp on HP. Assuming one could separate the cylinder cooling circuit from the head cooling circuit; would it make sense to run the cylinder as cool as possible while running the head as hot as possible. We are running methanol in our motors.

Bike
    CBX125F NS50F NS90F NS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by adegnes View Post
    Yeah Wobbly, I know. R7376 or go home...
    Cheapest R7376 from Japan here:
    http://jdm-planet.com/product/ngk-r7...ark-plugs-x-1/

They take ages to arrive and the company never responds to emails asking what's happening, but mine did arrive OK in the end.
    You take your chances...

Bike
    TZ400
    With Mehanol ( assuming you are doing it correctly and running a ton of com with normal ignition ) the latent heat of the fuel means water temp
    has way less effect.
    As far as the head s concerned there are two conflicting needs.
    First is to cool the squishband, and thus the boundary layer and thus the piston edge.
    Second is the bowl should be hot - as with any temp differential the hot will travel to the cool and in this case a cold bowl is pulling out combustion heat
    that should be expanding the gas and making power.
    You can ceramic coat the bowl only, and the piston non squish area.
    Or polish the bowl and piston to reflect the radiated heat.
    Keeping the squish cold, and ceramic coating the bowl works well.
    But as I said, a Meth motor is a different animal as running it WAY rich looses no power at all.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    I meant the Lanz Bulldog but confused it with the Deutz. This stuff is very interesting indeed, but the "oddball" thread was more or less intended to catch the overflow from this thread so ESE could concentrate on actual engine modification projects etc. but whether or not TZ thinks that, I dunno - he may think differently!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	off topic.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	332040

Hi Will I agree with you, the "oddball" dinner party is a great place to go if one want's to get really absorbed in talking about other people's oddball engines.

And this little get together is a great place for discussing engine modifications, picking up tuning tips and talking about one's own projects and ideas and like all good dinner parties there is often a bit of crossover and kept interesting with off topic comments about things like the 2T Lans tractor.

So, a little off topic. But.....

Name:	Scout F.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	332042

Can this girl ride? and would the fast guys get their but kicked???

Name:	Scout.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	332041

Probably!!!

Name:	Scout going around the outside.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	332043

And going around the outside. These guy's got totally owned by the Princess. As did most of the field.

Bike
    2002 Yamaha YZ250WR
    Since it's a bit quiet in here (what's a girl anyway???), made some real life progress with the ion sensing circuit. Bench test on the bike just kicking the motor over.

Name:	20170803_082158.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	466.4 KB 
ID:	332051
    I have the sensing circuit installed between the coil and the frame/engine. There's a resistor across the spark plug gap to simulate the current flow through the ionised gas that will be there after combustion.
    Yellow line shows the capacitor charging on each spark, then draining out across the spark plug gap/resistor, its regulated at 150 volts, just kicking the motor over only gets to about 100 volts.
    Blue line shows the current flowing through the gap/resistor (inverted). It peaks at around 150 microamps, real ion current is about 30 microamps. There are some spikes from the ignition coil after each spark and a fair bit of ongoing noise in the signal that will need to be filtered out.

Looks promising at this stage, a bit more bench testing to refine the circuit, then will do some tests on the running bike.

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by dark art View Post
    No resistor means no use with digital electronics, so not a big help with modern programable CDIs. Maybe for vintage and classic racing the 10.5 temp range is good choice for cheap plugs or for the ones who use analog igniton systems (and eventually want to mess up the adversaries who use digital ).
    My (admittedly basic) understanding is is use Resistor Plug OR Resistor Cap but NOT both.

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    TZ400
    Any digital CDI system needs the RFI filtering action of a resistor plug AND cap or the noise can easily affect the flashed memory.
    You can use good spiral wound core leads ( Magnecore ) with a non resistor cap, and i do this when using doubled up CDI as the cap restive elements are not that reliable.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    1964 Vespa GS
    Back to the Ryger, and the lower primary pumping efficiency.

What if you made the separator plate also move (like a donut shaped piston under the normal piston)? The stroke of this could be very short and generally move opposite the motion of the piston (with some phase shift if it helps). This could be sized to bring the primary pumping volume back up to equal the displacement. It could also balance the motion of the piston.

Bike
    zuma50
    Curious if anyone has tried staggered transfer openings for angled case reed inlets like on a CR125.

The inlet points to the right, if the left side transfers were to open slightly earlier... it may promote better cylinder filling.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    If there was no gas mixture in that area and the flow entirely started from the reed area then that would be worth trying as well as super long transfer timing.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TZ400
    A much better ( and tested ) solution is to use staggered backup stiffeners.
    The carb is angled and offset vertically also.
    But it responds like a KZ by having flow biased to the upper 1/2 of the cage.
    By having a much stiffer single reed on the bottom with a thicker backup.
    The top petals needs to be softer, and have the backups staggered in length left to right with a rev plate as well to redirect the biased carb flow back to being symmetric
    across the 3 curtain areas.
    Only way to do it is a pitot tube on a flow bench - takes forever but a SKUSA 125 takes off when its done right..

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsClunkThud View Post

What if you made the separator plate also move (like a donut shaped piston under the normal piston)? The stroke of this could be very short and generally move opposite the motion of the piston (with some phase shift if it helps). This could be sized to bring the primary pumping volume back up to equal the displacement. It could also balance the motion of the piston.
    Ok I'll bite, normally it would constitute supercharging but if you are only raising the displacement back out to the cylinder capacity then I guess that would be acceptable.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsClunkThud View Post

well if a few people hadnt waded into lucf.... we may have been able to understand were he and the ryger system was coming from .. sadly, its all guess work me old mate....

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ahh rubbish! You'd be more likely to have obtained information in a request to the Chinese government.

He was all Emperor and no new clothes.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    Breezy, the term "running on the pipe" is just another expression for 'running in the powerband'.

Frits, thank you very much. i had hoped it meant as soon as the engine fired up..never mind...
    well ... having had a while to ponder this ..... maybe if the tuning were to be set up for the "on the pipe" to happen at 1000 rpm to let it control the running of the engine... if you could start the engine with a starter system that rotated the engine at 1500 rpm .. pumping would no longer be needed?.....and if at this point the exhaust was no longer needed to produce power/ rpm... do we need a crankcase? and be able to feed the cylinder directly from the inlet?

Thread Information