Page 1840 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 8401340174017901830183818391840184118421850189019402340 ... LastLast
Results 27,586 to 27,600 of 39424

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Power 40 or 110%? When I fly (gyro) it is important to have a smooth a power delivery as possible ( hence my fitment of the power valve) for when running up the rotors you can not go to full power directly. Or else bad stuff happens, get rotor flap, rotors strike the ground, craft tips over. Standard gyro accident, all to do with rotor management and that comes from throttle control. The last thing you want is an engine that comes on strong, like a twostroke that relies heavily on the exhaust only. Just my observation.

Bike
    r6ypvs hybrid
    Frits, thanks.That last motor looks like a big chunk of metal.Bet it turns beads.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Power 40 or 110%? When I fly (gyro) it is important to have a smooth a power delivery as possible ( hence my fitment of the power valve) for when running up the rotors you can not go to full power directly. Or else bad stuff happens, get rotor flap, rotors strike the ground, craft tips over. Standard gyro accident, all to do with rotor management and that comes from throttle control. The last thing you want is an engine that comes on strong, like a twostroke that relies heavily on the exhaust only. Just my observation.
    Interesting to hear and it makes sense too. I recall reading about the last of the piston engined fighters which had major torque reaction problems on takeoff.
    I think the experimental very highly supercharged versions had major problems till they developed contra-rotating props.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Ok, so it is a 150cc four stroke Bucket. ..... 4T .....

But posted to show what can be achieved by paying attention to small detailed changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171025_195543.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	333079

Down draft inlet tract length optimized to suit cam and exhaust.

Name:	20171025_195532.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	726.7 KB 
ID:	333078

Moved steadily from the red line to the blue line by 10mm then 5mm incremental changes in the inlet tract length.

Name:	gsxr1000_exup_600p.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	333080

It will be interesting to see if the low speed torque dips can be filled in with an Exup valve.

Bike
    93 kx500
    Hey TZ is that a tacho pickup on the low voltage side of the coil on that Foulstroke?

Bike
    2002 Yamaha YZ250WR
    TZ, what ignition coil is that?
    Does it have a separate primary winding ground?
    Would it have enough gusto for the YZ250?

I did some experimentation with the piezo sensor on the road yesterday, saw much less signal amplitude than the previous test and DC voltage seemed to vary a bit over time, but I think the hose was kinked and I know the wiring was crap. So I've fixed those things and will see if it's better/back to normal today.
    Also leaned it out from where it was on the dyno, target AFR is 14:1 before 5300rpm (anti-resonance point) then 13.4:1 AFR to 8500rpm (peak power) then it slowly leans out to 13.8:1 at 9800rpm. It feels pretty happy, probably more to gain here. I think it still blows a little smoke on full throttle before anti-resonance, might be able to go a bit leaner still.

Bike
    1991 MZ 301
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    It was my intention to ask why You had power valves so thank you for answering.Is the propulsion propeller turning when You spin up rotor?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels Abildgaard View Post
    It was my intention to ask why You had power valves so thank you for answering.Is the propulsion propeller turning when You spin up rotor?
    Yes it is, there is a small cone clutch driving off the balance shaft, through an angle drive. Spooling up the rotor, this is the trickiest part of gyro flying.
    Apply brakes, engage clutch, bring rotor system up to about 250 rpm, release brakes and build ground speed as the rotors spool up. Above 300 rpm you can just nail it, stick forward and it will lift off, as at these revs you are outside the rotor flap danger zone. Flys at about 400 rotor rpm.
    Sorry, getting off track.
    I intend to run the next engine on E85, injected ( with an autolube)

Bike
    none
    For a V2 it is not nessecary to sepparate cranks for starting engine and for an aircraft engine it is either idle or 60 to 110% power. At the high end either tuned exhaust or turbocharger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars
    I would love to see a measured power curve of your V-twin with a common crankcase and tuned exhausts.
    Me too but two is too few for crowdfunding
    Yeah, I know the feeling.

Anyway, I wonder about a couple of things. I think the trailing cylinder will receive less mixture and do less work than the leading cylinder.
    When the leading piston is moving upward from BDC towards transfer closure, the trailing piston is still moving downward, increasing the scavenging pressure in your common crankcase. But by the time the trailing piston is moving upward from BDC towards transfer closure, the leading piston will already have moved up quite a bit, noticeably lowering the crankcase pressure.

And to what extent will your scavenging depend on exhaust suction? A tuned exhaust needs strong primary pulses. Exhaust ports can provide these, because they open with a speed of about 1,5 x mean piston velocity. But exhaust valves, as shown in your drawing below, can't, because they open with an initial speed of zero.
    Exhaust valves will also make it difficult to achieve sufficient blowdown time.area, unless you plan to stick to really low rpm numbers. But that would mean a low power-to-weight ratio, which is not desirable, especially not in a light aircraft engine.

Name:	Niels Abildgaard V-twin.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	333083

Bike
    1997 Yamaha rd 350

V-2

Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    I think the trailing cylinder will receive less mixture and do less work than the leading cylinder.

Name:	Niels Abildgaard V-twin.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	333083
    Simple idea
    V-2 with stepped pistons and isolated crancase, like Ryger or similar

60 years ago in Soviet union produced 2-stroke star engines, 23...500 hp range. They had good reputation.
    Sorry for picture with russian comments, seems clear enough without translation.

Design with numerous exhaust pipes and transfer ports... A bit remind FOS

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiplane View Post
    60 years ago in Soviet union produced 2-stroke star engines, 23...500 hp range. They had good reputation. Sorry for picture with russian comments, seems clear enough without translation. Design with numerous exhaust pipes and transfer ports... A bit remind FOS
    Russian is not exactly my first language, but I managed to decipher most of the 'skhema raboty dvigatelya' .
    I don't suppose there is a video or a soundtrack from these engines? I'd love to hear them.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett S View Post
    Hey TZ is that a tacho pickup on the low voltage side of the coil.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Nath88 View Post
    TZ, what ignition coil is that?
    Does it have a separate primary winding ground?
    Would it have enough gusto for the YZ250?
    I think so, but not totally sure as its not my bike and other than recording the dyno runs and trying to keep people from changing to much at once I don't know very much about it. I will see what I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nath88 View Post
    I did some experimentation with the piezo sensor on the road yesterday, saw much less signal amplitude than the previous test and DC voltage seemed to vary a bit over time, but I think the hose was kinked and I know the wiring was crap. So I've fixed those things and will see if it's better/back to normal today.

Also leaned it out from where it was on the dyno, target AFR is 14:1 before 5300rpm (anti-resonance point) then 13.4:1 AFR to 8500rpm (peak power) then it slowly leans out to 13.8:1 at 9800rpm. It feels pretty happy, probably more to gain here. I think it still blows a little smoke on full throttle before anti-resonance, might be able to go a bit leaner still.
    Totally looking forward to hearing how your piezo sensor experiment goes. I have been trying to re map my CPU for all low throttle fully on pipe running in the hope I will be able to get a piezo sensor switch from you sometime to see if I can use it to switch between low throttle on and off pipe maps.

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiplane View Post
    Simple idea
    V-2 with stepped pistons and isolated crancase, like Ryger or similar

60 years ago in Soviet union produced 2-stroke star engines, 23...500 hp range. They had good reputation.
    Sorry for picture with russian comments, seems clear enough without translation.

Design with numerous exhaust pipes and transfer ports... A bit remind FOS
    Thanks, very interesting, Valentin Poliakov was great engineer.
    Found very interesting russian experimental aviation engines forum

http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB...1180373404/all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bez_cilindrov (1).JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	333084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porshen__001.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	333085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mak15mp-1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	333086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BERNARD HOOPER evolution of Poliakov engine.jpg 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	333089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_39798_aa667a7c_XL.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	333088  

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Russian is not exactly my first language, but I managed to decipher most of the 'skhema raboty dvigatelya' .
    I don't suppose there is a video or a soundtrack from these engines? I'd love to hear them.
    Will be glad to help you, this was my second language ( learn in school from the fourth grade, long long time ago)
    Read that this engine had some problems with overheating pistons (holes in dome) because no cooling from fresh mixture under dome.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    Thanks, very interesting, Valentin Poliakov was great engineer. Found very interesting russian experimental aviation engines forum
    http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB...1180373404/all
    Thanks Katinas. Very interesting indeed; I found Ryger-type engines with 4 and 5 cylinders, dated 2010 (the recent Ryger patent was filed in 2015...).

Name:	Russian Ryger-01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	333093 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russian Ryger-02.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	333090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russian Ryger-03.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	333091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russian Ryger-04.jpg 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	333092

Thread Information