Page 1923 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 9231423182318731913192119221923192419251933197320232423 ... LastLast
Results 28,831 to 28,845 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    This youtube video clip is from our onboard model engine flying in circles at about 275 km/h on control lines. Not fast really, but shows the head temp in deg C.
    For the model engine when it stopped it got to about 218C or so, but during the run is in the 203C range. The glow plug was looking like new.
    How about the glow plug temperature modulation Neil? Any news?

Bike
    2015 Avanti
    Sorry Frits, just had too much trying to get this all working and fitted to a model. There is a circuit plan and another hall effect backplate made. Still have to make the new backplate data board that is adjustable to see where the timing of it needs to be etc. We have tested that on the bench we can augment the wire of the glow plug. On the bench it is difficult if it is actually doing anything, as it looks a continuous glow, bit like a filament lightbulb.
    Neil

Bike
    yamaha
    This is the piston from my reed cylinder and some ideas from other people. i notice wobbly a while back you said to make the holes as low as possible n the skirt. Im trying to figure out why you said that and which configuration you would go with as a starting point if this was your cylinder you were setting up
    thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston porting.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	335591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28721829_10155592228993871_1159024723_n.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	335592  

Bike
    variety
    i believe you want the piston windows low because the intake phase doesnt start until the piston is well on its way up from bdc. perhaps around TPC or even alittle later. at bdc if you put the piston windows in full view of the cylinder inlet, the windows will already be to far up the stroke by the time inlet starts. draw imaginary windows with a pencil and rotate the piston and you can see what happens. im not for sure but i think the faster the cyl pressure drops during the exh phase, the sooner the inlet phase can start.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    We have tested that on the bench we can augment the wire of the glow plug. On the bench it is difficult if it is actually doing anything, as it looks a continuous glow, bit like a filament lightbulb.
    It will be a continuous glow; the thermal mass of the plug filament is much too big to expect anything else. But I think you should be able to keep the glow somewhere between red-hot and yellow-hot.

Bike
    TZ400
    +1 what peewee said.
    Most engines the reeds have only just started to lift,between BDC and TPC.
    What opens the reeds initially is the case going below atmospheric and the intake wave going + at the same time.
    Depending upon what harmonic is active in the inlet pipe and at what rpm, the + wave can be closer to BDC or closer to TPC.
    The two actions together + the rising piston dropping the case pressure opens the reeds.
    Thus the lower the piston cutouts the better, and the flow requirement of the intake to make the power needed will dictate how much piston cutaway
    and skirt hole area is needed.
    As power rises it is first better to be looking at floor ports and or Boyesens down the side into the case, before doing the piston, as any holes create the oportunity
    for destruction.
    Here is a 66mm Wossner as used in my RZ400, I made the ports a little smaller as the skirts were just starting to crack at 500Km of 12,000 rpm racing.
    No issue since then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wossner 66mm - 2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	335599  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    yamaha
    Thank you , once again you guys have been very helpful

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    Hey Wobbly, did You finished the engine with that special casting of the ex port?(400cc racer)

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Quote Originally Posted by wax View Post
    This is the piston from my reed cylinder and some ideas from other people. i notice wobbly a while back you said to make the holes as low as possible n the skirt. Im trying to figure out why you said that and which configuration you would go with as a starting point if this was your cylinder you were setting up
    thanks
    Have experience only with big Boyesens Reed Cylinders (Honda NS 250/400). Original pistons have two holes very low, but when I put the piston without any holes, mid power goes up, acceleration much better without any dip and very linear throttle response (very nice to ride), did not notice difference on top. Even without ATAC feels stronger than original pistons with ATAC. And every time when made any holes in pistons, especially on upper skirt side (cylinder with Boyesens) always was worse bottom and mid. I think, that size of cutaway on piston intake side, depends on how big Boyesens are and the holes in piston weakens flow through A B at low and mid revs.

Honda from 1980 to 1986 playing with Boyesens on CR 125 reed cylinders and piston intake side cutaway. They try bigger and smaller Boyesens, and smaller arrangement looks more like help for C than for additional suction. On first RS 125/250 with reed cylinders, they used big Boyesens, but with CR125 ended with small ones for better bottom and mid.

With Reed Cylinders without Boyesens (or with very small), there is no other way for additional mix and better flow in C, just through piston, so for more power, holes are necessary, but I do not have experience with that type of cylinders.

If your cylinder is with big Boyesens and you need mid power, would be interesting to try piston without any holes, and later try cutaways or holes in small steps and write.

Interesting, how C port influence engine power at low and mid revs. Maybe closing/opening valve on C duct, will work in simillar way like powervalve?

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pressure pulse top Ignition pulse Bottom.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	549.3 KB 
ID:	335601

Started to make progress with a piezo amp and getting a clean usable signal. The ignition trigger pulse is on the bottom line as a marker. The just before exhaust port opening pressure peak (top line) was in the right place and of the right amplitude to be useful as an input for the Arduino. Worked well for a while then turned to mush.

I suspect the piezo crystals are getting hot and giving up. Know more tomorrow night when I try again after they have cooled down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piezo Amp.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	781.5 KB 
ID:	335602

Jaycar op amp kit KC5531 setup as a single channel and for piezo input.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Started to make progress with a piezo amp and getting a clean usable signal. The ignition trigger pulse is on the bottom line as a marker. The just before exhaust port opening pressure peak (top line) was in the right place and of the right amplitude to be useful as an input for the Arduino. Worked well for a while then turned to mush.
    I suspect the piezo crystals are getting hot and giving up. Know more tomorrow night when I try again after they have cooled down.
    Jaycar op amp kit KC5531 setup as a single channel and for piezo input.
    Rob did you know they have water cooled Piezo's they are more stabe in regards to drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1993, suzuki rgv250
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    Have experience only with big Boyesens Reed Cylinders (Honda NS 250/400). Original pistons have two holes very low, but when I put the piston without any holes, mid power goes up, acceleration much better without any dip and very linear throttle response (very nice to ride), did not notice difference on top. Even without ATAC feels stronger than original pistons with ATAC. And every time when made any holes in pistons, especially on upper skirt side (cylinder with Boyesens) always was worse bottom and mid. I think, that size of cutaway on piston intake side, depends on how big Boyesens are and the holes in piston weakens flow through A B at low and mid revs.

Honda from 1980 to 1986 playing with Boyesens on CR 125 reed cylinders and piston intake side cutaway. They try bigger and smaller Boyesens, and smaller arrangement looks more like help for C than for additional suction. On first RS 125/250 with reed cylinders, they used big Boyesens, but with CR125 ended with small ones for better bottom and mid.

With Reed Cylinders without Boyesens (or with very small), there is no other way for additional mix and better flow in C, just through piston, so for more power, holes are necessary, but I do not have experience with that type of cylinders.

If your cylinder is with big Boyesens and you need mid power, would be interesting to try piston without any holes, and later try cutaways or holes in small steps and write.

Interesting, how C port influence engine power at low and mid revs. Maybe closing/opening valve on C duct, will work in simillar way like powervalve?
    Katinas, I find your posts about new flow paths and so on very interesting. Hopefully you will be able to do some real testing as the snow goes away..? About the "c-port powervalve", your thought is that the c-port shall be blocket up until about mid-range?

Bike
    TZ400
    Musiek, yes that has been done for a while.
    The owner is very busy with a new bike shop business,but has been making cold air intakes and Titanium axles etc.
    It will be on the dyno soon.
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post

Thanks for that, the boysens are not to bad on this cylinder. Interesting you found a gain with no piston holes

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR

RS50 at the southern classic

I brought a carving blade to a gun fight back in December at the Southern Classic! Riding against 250cc 4t, 150cc 2t and 150cc 4t production bikes, I wheeled out my 1991 Honda RS50 for some fun in the twisty bits. With only 15hp, she goes alright... enough to put me 7th on a grid of 36 bikes in qualifying! This was the first race and unfortunately my GoPro failed in the next race so didn't get any video where I actually hustled a few 250s. The 3rd race I overheated the poor little thing and seized it at 143km/hr all the way to the hospital with a bruised lung hahaha. I did set the 5th fastest time overall up to when I crashed though. A 1:20.751 was my best time.

It's clear I stuffed up and overrevved the poor girl a few times at the start of the race. It was my first time riding the bike there so was still figuring out how to get it around the circuit. I'm eager to try again when she's going. I think a sub 1:20 is possible which would be faster than most the 250s.

Thread Information