Page 1944 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 9441444184418941934194219431944194519461954199420442444 ... LastLast
Results 29,146 to 29,160 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    yes but imagine if they were rotary valve, they could have been much better (in my opinion) and like Subaru, sales by point of difference. Silly old fools like me would go out of our way to purchase a RV engine bike, if not just because they are different. And now the age old problem of sharp power delivery is gone. And also now a 'relatively' clean (well better than a carburetor) exhaust with TPI.
    I just can't wait to see how this 360 goes, if it's anything like my injected Bighorn engine it will be all worth the work.
    But boy there is a lot of work in it yet.
    made a stainless steel water pump drive shaft today and fitted the plastic gear to it, little battles.
    I've only had one RV dirt ike. One issue was it loaded up pretty bad going down a long hill closed throttle so if you encountered something you wanted to blip to get the front wheel over it did nothing for about a second by which time you had already bounced over it.
    the other issue was it had about 4" of ground clearance. . . Because it was s GP100 with knobblies
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I've only had one RV dirt ike. One issue was it loaded up pretty bad going down a long hill closed throttle so if you encountered something you wanted to blip to get the front wheel over it did nothing for about a second by which time you had already bounced over it.
    the other issue was it had about 4" of ground clearance. . . Because it was s GP100 with knobblies
    don't let truth get in the way of a good story, yes they were a bit like that. How big a cut away was your RV?
    CanAm (rotax), ran with RV for a long time and got away with it.
    Obviously this TIP/sliding gibs will take care of those issues these days.

Bike
    2002 Yamaha YZ250WR
    I'm in the process of a top end rebuild on the YZ250, I've decided to go 2.1mm larger on the bore since the cylinder needs replating anyway and the pistons are readily available.
    At the moment the cylinder has a double base gasket, all the porting looks as cast.
    However I've noticed a few oddities:
    -The floor of the transfers is about 1.4mm below the piston edge at BDC.. Why would it be like this? Can I raise the port floor with something?
    -There is a large lip (protrudes approx 0.5mm into the flow path) around all of the ports except the main exhaust, the overbore should cut through all of these, will that be a problem?

My plan is to:
    -Measure the heights of all ports as they are
    -Have the cylinder bored 2.1mm oversize
    -Clean up the port edges, in case the lips aren't completely removed
    -Recheck heights of the ports, hopefully they haven't changed too much.
    -Radius all port edges
    -Remove big casting flash but leave the ports standard.
    -Smooth the transition from the aux exhaust ports into the main duct?
    -Smooth/enlarge the Boyesen ports
    -Have Nikasil applied

Does this all sound reasonable? I'm happy with the engine's power delivery, don't really want to mess it up.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    nath88, are you going to run the TPI?
    PM me and I'll help you with the 'mark two' setup if you like.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    don't let truth get in the way of a good story, yes they were a bit like that. How big a cut away was your RV?
    CanAm (rotax), ran with RV for a long time and got away with it.
    Obviously this TIP/sliding gibs will take care of those issues these days.
    The story was really for the porpoise of entertainment. There can't have been a much less suited dirt bike. Although I've never ridden old brit attempts.

But it would be interesting to know how a modern and clever approach hopefully sidesteps a potential issue.
    Looking forward to a ride account and YouTube of the bike in action. 360 should really rip in the dirt.

Bike
    variety
    normally i dont like the idea of using a larger piston unless theres a real good reason to do so. especially if the new piston is heavier. i cant think of why yamaha would want the port floors below the piston top but alot of trail riders like to machine a few mm off the bottom deck and drop the cylinder down. supposedly it gives better low rpm power. was the cylinder purchased second hand ? if the piston top rises above the cyl top deck then its likely someone has machined the bottom. you can thank eric gorr as i think he may have been the one who started the cyl lowering trend with dirtbike riders

Bike
    2002 Yamaha YZ250WR
    Quote Originally Posted by peewee View Post
    normally i dont like the idea of using a larger piston unless theres a real good reason to do so. especially if the new piston is heavier. i cant think of why yamaha would want the port floors below the piston top but alot of trail riders like to machine a few mm off the bottom deck and drop the cylinder down. supposedly it gives better low rpm power. was the cylinder purchased second hand ? if the piston top rises above the cyl top deck then its likely someone has machined the bottom. you can thank eric gorr as i think he may have been the one who started the cyl lowering trend with dirtbike riders
    I'm starting to think I should have stayed at stock bore, especially since the new piston has a 1mm wide flat step around the edge of the dome. Will make cutting the head a bit more difficult and probably a bit worse flow across the edge when the port is just opening.
    The piston edge is 1.3mm below the deck with 2 base gaskets, the top would be above the deck for sure with the dome. May have been machined, I'll have a look for evidence.

Cylinder came with the bike, not sure of it's history. I'll measure all the ports tonight see where they're at.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Think yourelf lucky, the GasGas come with the Exhaust floor not full exposed by the piston, sort of a reverse of Jans port floor raising. Overseas forum members all seem obsessed with raising the barrel so it matches. You know, like for a squillionth of a second, and to hell with the timing.

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Very interesting, I would love to hear more as the project progresses.
    Yes, i´ll post the progress.
    They did a fun test yesterday to see if it responded on a small carburetor.
    27mm old round throttle keihin made 28.0hp to the wheel.

Today they will go back to 32-34mm carb again and test(29.2 was with 32mm carb), but as they haven´t got any racefuel(they want the engines 'footprint' before going to methanol) yet they will be very careful.

As i understood from phonecall, they had no corrections made on that 29.2 pull, it might have been around 29.5-29.8hp
    And he also mentioned they had problems with slip on the dynoroller.

So i´m excited, as i suspect it actually burned up some power due to tireslip, pipe is tuned to 14000rpm and they got the power at 14300rpm as the peak might have rolled over.

Bike
    34.1hp at this point, but at very high rpm´s 16467rpm.
    But, i figure it is because petrol in a pipe designed for methanol.

Bike
    Oops.. fast update now. =)
    They tested E85 fuel, 35,3hp at 16000rpm
    As suspected, the power will be at lower rpm on methanol in future pulls.

Bike
    TZ400
    Having been thru the exercise of proving that a hot exhaust duct is no good for power I tested ways of getting better cooling in the TM kart engines
    I work on.
    The first was to figure out why the factory originally intended to have all the cooling water enter the cylinder via ports under the duct, from the case,and then deleted this
    and added a hose to feed water in above the exhaust port - from the side..
    After many long hours of thought and trial tests, here is the result.
    With all the water flowing over the hot duct, it heats ALL the water,that then flows over the transfer tops,into the head and out.
    Thus the transfers are actually being heated up,always a bad idea.
    So I first drilled two 3mm holes up thru the plugs under the exhaust duct, and added a water fitting hole into the cylinder facing the boost port.
    This allowed some cooling of the duct, but forced the coldest water volume over the transfers.
    Result - 1 to 1.5 Hp everywhere.
    But the tech minions decided this was illegal,as I had made an extra hole in the cylinder that wasn't shown in the homologation papers.
    OK, so fuck them,the papers dont show any water fittings at all, so i made a long screw in manifold that also directs all the cold water, back, over the transfers.
    Result, almost the same power, and 1st and 2nd at the National champs over Easter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wobbly Water Manifold.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	336007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wobbly Water Hose.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	412.4 KB 
ID:	336008  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    2002 Yamaha YZ250WR
    Measured the port timing on the YZ250, cylinder raised 0.4mm.
    Exhaust PV Open 185° Blowdown 34°
    Exhaust PV Closed 160° Blowdown 22°
    Aux Exhaust 185°
    Rear Transfer 120°
    Main Transfers 117°

Exhaust seems right but transfers seem low.. The only reference I could find says stock is 121 degrees, can anyone back that up? Should the rear transfer port open first?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That's quite a stagger. Sorry did you bore this significantly? Transfer angled will be more affected.

Bike
    2002 Yamaha YZ250WR
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    That's quite a stagger. Sorry did you bore this significantly? Transfer angled will be more affected.
    Nope, stock cylinder... I'm measuring so I can see the difference once it's bored. Seems like the transfer ports are cast about 1mm too low. Would explain the piston/port mismatch at BDC.

Thread Information