Page 2114 of 2625 FirstFirst ... 11141614201420642104211221132114211521162124216422142614 ... LastLast
Results 31,696 to 31,710 of 39365

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    1000 Promod Drag Sled

So many answers, So many questions!

Hello all, and thank you for sharing your knowledge on this great forum.

My name is Steve and I live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. I drag race snowmobiles on both ice and grass. My current project is a 1047cc three cylinder, case reed induction, Suzuki engine, based on an Arctic Cat F7 two cylinder engine. 79.7 X 70 bore and stroke with auxiliary exhaust ports. After reading this thread it is obvious that snowmobile cylinder design is not at the level of today's best technology and I am hoping to rework a cylinder and start dyno testing. To that end, I need some clarification regarding the "Wobbly" exhaust duct. My thinking is as follows:

Raise the exhaust port floor to the point of effective transfer opening at the bore and then fill in the port floor enough to carry a 25 degree angle to the end of the spigot.

Weld and cut the duct roof at an angle greater than 25 degrees such that the area is reduced to 75 % of the original effective port area at the bore, at a length of 1.5 times the bore diameter 119.5mm.

Then cut the spigot roof at an angle of "X" degrees to achieve an opening of 100% of the original effective port area at a length of 2 times the bore diameter 159.5mm.

Is my thinking correct that all area changes are made by changing the angle of the duct and spigot roof, and the width of the complete setup is the same from the port to the end of the spigot?

If the above is correct is the transition from duct to spigot left sharp or radiused? If radiused, how much of a radius?

I can't seem to find much information with regards to the passages from the auxiliary exhausts. From the posted pictures, it looks like the passages exit the spigot at close to the horizontal centreline. Is the centreline of the spigot end the exit target or should these passages be ran at 25 degrees the same as the floor of the duct and spigot and exit wherever that puts them?

How is the sizing and the inward angle of the auxiliary passages determined? A semicircle equal to the height of the auxiliary port angled inward enough to still have the same semicircle at the end of the spigot?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    My understanding is that a problem arises when the exhaust port gets wide enough for the piston pin to allow a short circuit path between the "A" transfer and the ear of the exhaust port. After that, extra width starts to become counter productive.
    But as a rule, in racing you have to give 110%, so that seems a good place to start.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by polcat88 View Post
    Hello all, and thank you for sharing your knowledge on this great forum.
    My name is Steve and I live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. I drag race snowmobiles on both ice and grass. My current project is a 1047cc three cylinder, case reed induction, Suzuki engine, based on an Arctic Cat F7 two cylinder engine. 79.7 X 70 bore and stroke with auxiliary exhaust ports. After reading this thread it is obvious that snowmobile cylinder design is not at the level of today's best technology and I am hoping to rework a cylinder and start dyno testing. To that end, I need some clarification regarding the "Wobbly" exhaust duct. My thinking is as follows:
    Raise the exhaust port floor to the point of effective transfer opening at the bore and then fill in the port floor enough to carry a 25 degree angle to the end of the spigot.
    Weld and cut the duct roof at an angle greater than 25 degrees such that the area is reduced to 75 % of the original effective port area at the bore, at a length of 1.5 times the bore diameter 119.5mm.
    Then cut the spigot roof at an angle of "X" degrees to achieve an opening of 100% of the original effective port area at a length of 2 times the bore diameter 159.5mm.
    Is my thinking correct that all area changes are made by changing the angle of the duct and spigot roof, and the width of the complete setup is the same from the port to the end of the spigot?
    If the above is correct is the transition from duct to spigot left sharp or radiused? If radiused, how much of a radius?
    I can't seem to find much information with regards to the passages from the auxiliary exhausts. From the posted pictures, it looks like the passages exit the spigot at close to the horizontal centreline. Is the centreline of the spigot end the exit target or should these passages be ran at 25 degrees the same as the floor of the duct and spigot and exit wherever that puts them?
    How is the sizing and the inward angle of the auxiliary passages determined? A semicircle equal to the height of the auxiliary port angled inward enough to still have the same semicircle at the end of the spigot?
    Any and all help is appreciated.
    Hi Steve, I bundled a collection of tips and concepts, including some that deal with port and duct shapes. You should be able to download them here: https://jmp.sh/uXqkAr9

To All: please let me know if this works. It's my first attempt to make large files directly available.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Hi Steve, I bundled a collection of tips and concepts, including some that deal with port and duct shapes. You should be able to download them here: https://jmp.sh/uXqkAr9

To All: please let me know if this works. It's my first attempt to make large files directly available.
    It works Frits cheers, Next rainy day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1980 Suzuki Gs1100E

Works good for me. Thanks Frits.

Bike
    none
    Glad to hear it folks. Now I have an opportunity to pester you guys with more big files that I couldn't show until now.

Wanna see what HCCI really is? Here is a video, not an animation but the real deal, filmed inside firing engines, showing HCCI, spark ignition and diesel combustion modes. The huge difference in burn speed between the various modes should be an eye opener: https://jmp.sh/Fh8YLgc

And while I'm at it, you'll find my FOS Freeware collection here: https://jmp.sh/TFY6Q0k
    I wrote these programs in the course of over four decades for my own personal use and I never bothered to make them user-friendly, so you may have to do some experimenting. The lot runs on DOS 6.2 or Windows 98 (I recommend Win98SE) so either dig up an old computer or use an emulator. On my Win7-laptop I use VMWare Player. I advise against DOSBox 0.74 because that is essentially a stripped-down version of DOS 5; it will run some of the programs, but not all of them.

By the way, everything that I make available on an open forum such as KiwiBiker or Pit-Lane, may be freely distributed. Happy Easter .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easter plans.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	341564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Happy Easter.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	341565

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Thanks , Frits, for that valuable information. Attached is my American English translation of your article on ignition timing. I hope i didn't loose any of your meaning or flavor.

Lohring Miller

PS I couldn't delete the first .pdf. The second is the complete article
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ignition curves.pdf   Ignition curves.pdf  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    Thanks , Frits, for that valuable information. Attached is my American English translation of your article on ignition timing. I hope i didn't loose any of your meaning or flavor.
    Lohring Miller
    Thank you so much Lohring.
    I noticed that your translated version stops about halfway of the full German text. And modesty appears to have prevented you from adding your name as the English translator, which I think deserves mentioning. I'll be glad to add it.
    Could you please mail your text in DOC- or ODT-format to fos@hetnet.nl, so I can fiddle a bit in the layout and attach the ignition graph?
    Thanks again,
    Frits

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    I also translated your Small Helmholtz course. Again, I hope I captured the meaning and flavor correctly.

Lohring Miller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmholtz lesson.pdf  

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    OOPS I hope I did better on the Helmholtz translation. I'll fix the ignition article and send it to you.

Lohring Miller

Thank you so much Lohring.
    I noticed that your translated version stops about halfway of the full German text. And modesty appears to have prevented you from adding your name as the English translator, which I think deserves mentioning. I'll be glad to add it.
    Could you please mail your text in DOC- or ODT-format to fos@hetnet.nl, so I can fiddle a bit in the layout and attach the ignition graph?
    Thanks again,
    Frits

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    OOPS I hope I did better on the Helmholtz translation. I'll fix the ignition article and send it to you.
    That Helmholtz article is looking really good. But could you mail me its DOC- or ODT-version too? I'd need to adapt the German texts in the graphs and then insert the new graphs in your text.

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    I just sent both off in Microsoft Word. I hope that works.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    none
    Thanks Lohring, the Word-format should do fine.
    It may be a while before I can react; the missus has treatened with lethal actions if I go near a computer during the Easter days.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Thanks Lohring, the Word-format should do fine.
    It may be a while before I can react; the missus has treatened with lethal actions if I go near a computer during the Easter days.
    Don't feel singled out Frits, it's a trait displayed by many a missus (or is it missae?).
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    CBX125F NS50F NS90F NS-1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Don't feel singled out Frits, it's a trait displayed by many a missus (or is it missae?).
    Mogli?

Thread Information