Page 2141 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 1141164120412091213121392140214121422143215121912241 ... LastLast
Results 32,101 to 32,115 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Yes, please do, we love to see pictures of other peoples projects.......
    This is about finished projects of the past. But Ok. A recent fun photo of a magnesium casting I still have.
    Sort of horizontally split single cilinder with a cassette gearbox.

The idea was to make an engine that would not explode before the finishline, in order to get normal race to race development.
    The not exploding in any form target was reached, the management thing underestimated.

Thou shall be rich enough to maintain control of what's happening. I was not, I was just the designer. Racing is complex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7403.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	342233  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    what if the opening gib was controlled by the rider, and the shut side gib was controlled by the ECU. I can do that with the LINK now, A question or a statement. I'm guessing someone will have some thoughts. I'll leave it set up as it is for the moment but want some ECU throttle input eventually. Too hard to do both at the moment for LINK.
    The opening gib should open as soon as the crankcase pressure has dropped below the ambient pressure, preventing the crankcase pressure from dropping too far, which would slow down or even reverse the transfer flow. So the opening gib timing mainly depends on engine rpm: the lower the revs, the earlier the opening gib should open. But I don't think controlling the engine power via the opening gib would be a good idea; the feeling would be far from linear.

The inlet flow has a natural Helmholtz frequency and the higher the revs, the more crank degrees should pass during one Helmholtz cycle. But the ECU must know the position of the opening gib in order to be able to calculate the optimum closing gib position. Only then can it take orders from the rider and close even earlier when less power is ordered.
    If it is too hard to do both at the moment for LINK, I'd rather choose a fixed late-opening position for the opening gib and let the closing gib do all the work.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    The opening gib should open as soon as the crankcase pressure has dropped below the ambient pressure, preventing the crankcase pressure from dropping too far, which would slow down or even reverse the transfer flow. So the opening gib timing mainly depends on engine rpm: the lower the revs, the earlier the opening gib should open. But I don't think controlling the engine power via the opening gib would be a good idea; the feeling would be far from linear.

The inlet flow has a natural Helmholtz frequency and the higher the revs, the more crank degrees should pass during one Helmholtz cycle. But the ECU must know the position of the opening gib in order to be able to calculate the optimum closing gib position. Only then can it take orders from the rider and close even earlier when less power is ordered.
    If it is too hard to do both at the moment for LINK, I'd rather choose a fixed late-opening position for the opening gib and let the closing gib do all the work.
    Yes Frits, with the above scenario both gibs need a TPS, the ECU must know this information but will only be able to drive one of the gibs. An RPM delay mechanism on the opening gib might be necessary, although with 360cc Rotary Valve HP that just might come naturally. Self preservation.

Perhaps below a certain RPM I just don't close the gibs off, use injection frequencies only to control power. Hit and miss engine comes to mind. That might make for an interesting ride picking through fallen logs and slippery sticks. Perhaps a large flywheel would be in order.
    Never the less it might make for an interesting experiment but I will get someone else to ride it for this test.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Carel H View Post
    This is about finished projects of the past. But Ok. A recent fun photo of a magnesium casting I still have.
    Sort of horizontally split single cilinder with a cassette gearbox.

The idea was to make an engine that would not explode before the finishline, in order to get normal race to race development.
    The not exploding in any form target was reached, the management thing underestimated.

Thou shall be rich enough to maintain control of what's happening. I was not, I was just the designer. Racing is complex.

Cat will sort it for you, I use mine to bounce ideas off. She is always right, bugger it. Alien data loggers.

Bike
    Vintage 2T

TZ350 is measuring crankcase high and low pressures.
    Perhaps the opening gib can reference these and be independently controlled to maintain optimum case pressure.

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Yes Frits, with the above scenario both gibs need a TPS, the ECU must know this information but will only be able to drive one of the gibs. An RPM delay mechanism on the opening gib might be necessary, although with 360cc Rotary Valve HP that just might come naturally. Self preservation.

Perhaps below a certain RPM I just don't close the gibs off, use injection frequencies only to control power. Hit and miss engine comes to mind. That might make for an interesting ride picking through fallen logs and slippery sticks. Perhaps a large flywheel would be in order.
    Never the less it might make for an interesting experiment but I will get someone else to ride it for this test.
    Power (and airflow) follows fuel Works for Diesels. Many 4WDrivers would rather pick through (and over) rocks and logs using diesel power instead of petrol.
    Don't forget to Video the Test..

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    husaberg
    Cat will sort it for you, I use mine to bounce ideas off. She is always right, bugger it. Alien data loggers.
    The cat might be a KTM spy.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The cat might be a KTM spy.......
    Opps, found the mole, the cat must die. Come to think of it, she does have an Austrian accent😆.

Name:	20190618_203555.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	668.9 KB 
ID:	342235  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, cute cat photos . This is the internet after all.

Kaaden sez Meow.

. . . and don't get greedy with exhaust port timing.

Name:	20190628_202244.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	605.0 KB 
ID:	342241  
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    BMW R1200R 2009
    Opps, found the mole, the cat must die. Come to think of it, she does have an Austrian accent😆.
    Does she wear Lederhosen ?

Bike
    None
    This started with twin spar frames.

Had a good photo of the bare thing on wheels, but this gives a better structural overview.
    1984, This is archeological. Found a magazine with a GP preview of the machines, not a twin spar to be found, only complex gates, as I called them. In 2-3 years twin spar was universal.

Name:	Frame.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	342243  

Bike
    None
    Primary gears and clutch.

As the engine was a combination of a Kawasaki crankshaft (chosen for excellent results in motocross and the only 80cc then with a reasonable bore/stroke ratio) and a Suzuki gearbox (nice spaced race ratios) the primary transmission was not off the shelf.

Also considering the wall between gearbox and crankcase was thicker because of waterchannels for cooling purposes, increasing the distance between gearbox and crankcase. Side advantage is that the rotary disc diameter is less limited by the gearbox bearing or gears.

The gears were made by Dick de Jager, Holland. A master in this field.

He made them with heightened pitchcircle, giving a stronger toothbase. And he honed the bore of the clutch gear to near zero clearance, which given the fact that this a single needle bearing, took away that "loose" feeling that other clutches have.

As this was to be a dry clutch, instead of the original, I made bronze frictionplates.

But to our astonishment, the whole Suzuki set, plain aluminium and aluminium frictionplates were just as happy outside.

As this is the internet, I'll keep the chief engineers around for a while.

Name:	Gear.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	342244  

Bike
    none
    Meet the team:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pussy tuning.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	342255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	342254

Bike
    1988 cagiva freccia
    Blog Entries
    Just finish checking port chamfers

Name:	received_309344656449312.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	342268

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Meet the team:

Name:	pussy tuning.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	342255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	342254
    expensive cat feeder.

Thread Information